TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Granted, I haven't ridden Grizzly since 2002, but I quite enjoyed it then, as well as being surprised by how much I liked Rebel Yell as well! The only woodie I thought was a blistering pile of trash, even back then, was Hurler! Now that it'll be gone, I feel it'll be safe to return to KD in 2018!

Grizzly and RY have profited from Hurler's abandonment since, really, CF took over. Hurler really wanted more maintenance than the others combined to ride as it should, the new ride will be more like a steelie in that respect.

There's a good number of coasters they could replace with something better, or expand the park if the future actually warrants it, but at this time it would be diminishing returns. OTOH a good number of coasters will actually need to be replaced before RY and Grizzly.

Its amazing anyone would have any complaints about this parks lineup. Really the park at all but that's a different conversation. Seriously though, you guys have

- an Intamin giga (arguably the best)

- what is considered by many the best floorless on the planet

- a completely unique Intamin inverted launcher that launches out of a f*cking volcano!

- a classic Arrow lots of people say is in good shape (I cant speak from experience on this one) that drops into a goddamn underwater tunnel

- counting both sides of Rebel you have FIVE wooden coasters

- one of which is being converted to a freaking RMC next year

- not one, not two, but THREE launch coasters

- Coasters by B&M, Intamin, Premier, Mack, PTC, and now RMC. I mean goddamn.

There is literally something for everyone at this park. And this RMC won't open for another year yet there is still talk in here of what the park is going to put in next. To say Kings Dominion locals are spoiled rotten is the understatement of the year. This thread can be maddening.

Its amazing anyone would have any complaints about this parks lineup. Really the park at all but that's a different conversation. Seriously though, you guys have

- a completely unique Intamin inverted launcher that launches out of a f*cking volcano!

- a classic Arrow lots of people say is in good shape (I cant speak from experience on this one) that drops into a goddamn underwater tunnel

There is literally something for everyone at this park. And this RMC won't open for another year yet there is still talk in here of what the park is going to put in next. To say Kings Dominion locals are spoiled rotten is the understatement of the year. This thread can be maddening.

post of the year

^^-- I hope neither of you were replying to me, because I certainly wasn't complaining. I do think the park could have some more spectacular appearing coasters, I mean by some weird math some people say BGW's coaster line up is better even now after I305 ... but I realize it doesn't work that way and actually if you look farther future it's going to cost them to stay where they're at and change is inevitable. If anything I was explaining that what's happening is great and makes sense.

^^-- I hope neither of you were replying to me, because I certainly wasn't complaining.

I was responding to complainers in general in this thread, so basically I was responding to the entire thread.

And the park is usually empty! The last time I visited was for 2 hours. I was driving down 95, had a platinum pass and just pulled off. I hit up Volcano, Grizzly, Dominator, and got 7 rides on i305.... in 2 hours! The only thing that might be ~missing~ is an airtime monster, and RMC Hurler will certainly fill that void while trying to eject you into Grizzly.

Sure, the layout and feel of the park is weird, but it makes me love it more. Only in Cedar Fair world can a Nascar coaster be next to an alien coaster, next to a stunt car coaster, next to a snake coaster, by a volcano in the Jungle, which is next to an Avalanche. It makes no damn sense, but sign me up. It all makes when you see the singing mushrooms.

And (if I could pile on) the park also has a KICK A** drop tower (I can't really overstate how good this thing is), a really fun giant Frisbee (which isn't the best Frisbee out there, but is still a great ride), a spectacular log flume, a super cool and well themed top spin with fire, flyers that are actually snappable, a 300 foot windseeker and a water park included with admission.

The people that complain about this park are out of their minds.

^

I was actually about to go into all of that but didn't since the coasters by themselves are enough to warrant no complaining, yet here we are. But yeah this park is awesome overall. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want this as my local park.

I guess its similar to our Great Adventure locals that do nothing but bitch and moan about a seriously sh*tty old woodie/painful Arrow looper/terribly unreliable Premier launcher all being yanked out while still having one of the best lineups on the planet. Grass is always greener.

I guess its similar to our Great Adventure locals that do nothing but bitch and moan about a seriously sh*tty old woodie/painful Arrow looper/terribly unreliable Premier launcher all being yanked out

And a pair of Arrow interlocking shuttle loops, a mediocre Intamin bobsled, an Intamin stand-up torture device, and a couple of Togo oddities.

Seriously, has any park ever REMOVED more coasters than SFGAdv in the modern era?

I guess its similar to our Great Adventure locals that do nothing but bitch and moan about a seriously sh*tty old woodie/painful Arrow looper/terribly unreliable Premier launcher all being yanked out

And a pair of Arrow interlocking shuttle loops, a mediocre Intamin bobsled, an Intamin stand-up torture device, and a couple of Togo oddities.

Seriously, has any park ever REMOVED more coasters than SFGAdv in the modern era?

And wasnt there a point in the early 90's when Gradv only had like 4 major coasters because they kept removing them? I cant imagine what the lines must've been like

^^

And that's just it. Even with everything GreatAdv has removed, we still have a world class lineup - the tallest coaster/droptower on the planet, best woodie, 5 solid B&Ms, a bunch of solid family coasters. But people hate change and pine for a time that has passed.

- a classic Arrow

Like I said I can't speak from experience, it had a line and was not a FL+ and we never went back to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I got my Arrow dosage the next day on LNM.

Just want to add a voice to this conversation mess. I've attended this park more in my life than any other park. I think it has a great lineup and I'm stoked to have an RMC here. That being said, I haven't been out here much recently (mainly since I've been married) for a few reasons. Mainly, this has to do with my wife's preferences. She is certainly not a die-hard like many of us. She doesn't really care for the park that much and far prefers BGW because the parks are more experience for her. She also (me too probably, but it's close) likes the coaster collection better at BGW.

She can't do I305 more than once or twice per visit.

She doesn't like woodies that much.

Dominator is her 2nd least favorite floorless (after Rougarou.)

Anaconda is simply ok, but not worth a reride.

She used to love Volcano, but says it has gotten a little shaky recently.

I don't share these views with her aside from thinking BGW is the better park with a better lineup (but only slightly.)

Which brings me to my point; we're comparing two parks that are within an hours' drive. Shouldn't this be a blessing instead of a curse? If you aren't that big of a fan of KD that's fine, you have another world class park down the road, don't complain, just hop in the car.

Yeah, but as you mentioned having BGW right down the road would make almost any park look weak by comparison.

I actually think Kings Dominion has them beat in the thrill rides department and an RMC will only add to that but aside from thrill rides BGW is crushing them in every possible way. Kings Dominion is still a spectacular park though, and it's also a very pretty park (and because of BGW this is almost always overlooked because people immediately compare the two). Most Cedar Fair parks look like unthemed, treeless wastelands compared to KD. As corporate regional parks go, it's a really nice park.

Also, that's a weird opinion of Dominator. Almost everyone considers it one of the better (if not the best) floorless coasters. To be honest (and I don't mean this the wrong way) it sounds like your wife (or maybe to an extent both of you) just prefer less intense rides. There's nothing wrong with that, tons of people feel the same way and BGW is full of super fun, super smooth coasters that (aside from Alpengeist) aren't overly forceful or intense. Kings Dominion's coasters (especially rides like Volcano, I305, Grizzly, Flight of Fear and even Dominator when compared to other floorless coasters) are all intense rides. They're not rough, but they throw you around a little bit and their elements are forceful and snappy. I'm sure RMC Hurler will fit this mold also. If that's your preference, I can totally understand why you'd prefer BGW's coaster lineup but I sort of prefer KD's style of more intense coasters so for me there's no comparison there. BGW's coasters are all great though.

Like I said I can't speak from experience, it had a line and was not a FL+ and we never went back to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I got my Arrow dosage the next day on LNM.

I don't mind Anaconda, but you already have the best "Classic Arrow" ever in Old Virginia so that's just a bonus.

LNM is absolutely beautiful, was totally surprised how awesome it was.

I don't mind Anaconda, but you already have the best "Classic Arrow" ever in Old Virginia so that's just a bonus.

LNM is absolutely beautiful, was totally surprised how awesome it was.

He means this:

Although, I agree with you in that LNM is the best Arrow coaster that I've ridden. LNM is one of my favorite rides, ever. Just within Virginia, I prefer it to Dominator and most of the rides at KD.

Similarly, Anaconda is one of the better Arrows. You have to get out and ride more if you think Anaconda is rough. There are a lot more crappy Arrows than Anaconda.

Edited by RollerManic