TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

On the subject of trains I'm heading to the park on Friday, my last visit in 2014 there was 1 train running on every ride except Volcano & Dominator. At this point in the season would I305 at least be running both? That's where I'll be spending most of my time.

Even on weekends, I305 rarely has any sort of wait and you can usually wait a few trains to make it into the almost empty station. On the rare occasion the park is very crowded, they'll run both trains--but that's a rare occasion.

Btw, were you working Millennium Force last Friday? I think I may have seen you. We were also last train of the night on Thursday if you were there.

On the subject of trains I'm heading to the park on Friday, my last visit in 2014 there was 1 train running on every ride except Volcano & Dominator. At this point in the season would I305 at least be running both? That's where I'll be spending most of my time.

There are two reasons why we would run two trains.

1. When the guests in the park reaches a certain threshold

2. When the queue reaches 45 min

With that said, a second train doesn't increase capacity by that much (about a few hundred), as we cannot dispatch the second train until the first reaches the block before the station. A much more effective method of increasing capacity on I305 is increasing the amount of operators, along with support from riders.

Intimidator was running two trains when I visited last night. I definitely felt like it helped keep the lines shorter, but it couldn't have helped too much with it being a short ride. Volcano has run two trains every time I visited the park, and during two of those visits the park was completely dead.

Dominator was running so well last night. It seems so much better than when I rode it earlier this season, though I'm sure riding late on a very hot day really helped. Although I like I-305 better overall, getting a great ride on Dominator like my two rides last night is a rarer event and I would highly recommend making Dominator your last ride of the day if the park is open late.

Do they ever use the trim break on Dominator? The last two times I visited it didn't seem it was in use.

Thank you everybody for the quick responses! I'm looking forward to this return visit!

Even on weekends, I305 rarely has any sort of wait and you can usually wait a few trains to make it into the almost empty station. On the rare occasion the park is very crowded, they'll run both trains--but that's a rare occasion.

Btw, were you working Millennium Force last Friday? I think I may have seen you. We were also last train of the night on Thursday if you were there.

And yes! I was working Millennium last Friday! I'm easy to spot now since I wear a green shirt this season.

I'll be at the park next week. Anyone got tips and tricks so I can get a ride on everything with possible rerides? Also I'd love to know the best seat for rides such as Anaconda since I'm not looking to get a beating. What place is the best to eat at in the park? Will a fast lane pass be needed since we are visiting on a weekend? Thanks for any advice given as this is my first time at the park and I want to make the most of it since we only have 1 day to spare.

god help me, i'm going to KD tomorrow.

weather says it will be 100 degrees. the heat index is going to be about 130. UV index 10 out of 10.

the line for white water canyon is gonna be 3 hours, isn't it?

I would doubt that lines will be long in the dry park, but the water rides will probably be the longest. White Water Canyon is not worth more than a 15 minute wait, really.

I would also note that you don't get really soaked on either one of them, so if you're really looking to get wet, do the wave pool or lazy river in the water park as the slides will all have crazy lines.

god help me, i'm going to KD tomorrow.

weather says it will be 100 degrees. the heat index is going to be about 130. UV index 10 out of 10.(

Get a Fastlane and use it exclusively for Shenandoah Lumber Company. That's probably what I would do.

I'll be at the park next week. Anyone got tips and tricks so I can get a ride on everything with possible rerides? Also I'd love to know the best seat for rides such as Anaconda since I'm not looking to get a beating. What place is the best to eat at in the park? Will a fast lane pass be needed since we are visiting on a weekend? Thanks for any advice given as this is my first time at the park and I want to make the most of it since we only have 1 day to spare.

What day? If its Saturday then get the fast lane plus with admission. Always a good time with that, especially dealing with Volcano's line.

As for Anaconda, it's not rough. I've been on it a bunch of times, different days, different seats and very little to no headbanging. Its not a bad ride at all and actually, the first half of the ride is pretty intense.

Have a great time, KD is one of the better cedar fair parks out there.

What day? If its Saturday then get the fast lane plus with admission. Always a good time with that, especially dealing with Volcano's line.

As for Anaconda, it's not rough. I've been on it a bunch of times, different days, different seats and very little to no headbanging. Its not a bad ride at all and actually, the first half of the ride is pretty intense.

Have a great time, KD is one of the better cedar fair parks out there.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be going on a Sunday and I've been told by others that I should be fine without fast lane.

Yeah you could do that or you could just go to any food stand at any amusement park in the entire country and ask for a cup of water and they'll provide one to you for free, usually with ice. I'm always amazed by how many people don't know this trick. It seriously works at every single park in America. Go to any stand with fountain soda and they can give you water. We do it at least 5 times a day when we're at a park.

Grizzly is one of my favorite roller coasters there. People always look at me sideways when I say that, but the first drop on the back seat at night is amazing. You just get whipped over the top and dropped into blackness. It's a fun ride in the daytime too.

I nearly became a Grizzly hater last weekend. Rode towards the front and got an unbearably rough ride. I was a little upset, and knew that I wasn't doing something right. I rode in 4th to last row, and the ride was very smooth compared to my earlier ride. In fact, all rows in the back 2 cars were rather smooth for a woodie with PTC trains. I believe that it is very underrated. The airtime is great, but I personally love the laterals even more! I rode it 7 times in less than 30 minutes last Saturday, and that really says something, because I am rather sensitive to "rough" coasters.

I am rather sensitive to "rough" coasters.

This post combined with your avatar is making my head explode.

Also, FRONT SEAT, LEAN FORWARD, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS? And yes, Grizzly is very solid but we always use that trick which makes it butter smooth. Hurler and Rebel Yell do nothing for me. Both are amazingly mediocre.

Also, FRONT SEAT, LEAN FORWARD, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS? And yes, Grizzly is very solid but we always use that trick which makes it butter smooth. Hurler and Rebel Yell do nothing for me. Both are amazingly mediocre.

I knew someone would see my avatar and say something like that. I know it is a very unpopular opinion, but I found Shockwave to be a very solid ride. I'm on the short side, so perhaps that's why it was so nice to me. The track shaping had to be the worst I've ever seen in my life though.

I knew someone would see my avatar and say something like that. I know it is a very unpopular opinion, but I found Shockwave to be a very solid ride. I'm on the short side, so perhaps that's why it was so nice to me. The track shaping had to be the worst I've ever seen in my life though.

Chinese water torture would be more enjoyable than Shockwave was. Rode Delirium for the first time yesterday and immediately forgot about the TOGO death trap.

Chinese water torture would be more enjoyable than Shockwave was. Rode Delirium for the first time yesterday and immediately forgot about the TOGO death trap.

The stand up airtime was awesome though. I am in the minority that liked Shockwave, but I will admit entering the helix was painful.

Am I the only one that thinks that Grizzly is criminally underrated? It honestly provides some of the best airtime in the park and even Virginia (excluding Apollo's Chariot).

Grizzly was strange for me, I loved the first drop, but after the first drop it kind of fizzles out around that turnaround, and then it picks right back up with the second drop, the turn around between the first and second drop though sort of sets the pacing off, at least it did for me.

had a GREAT day at the park yesterday!

it was indescribably hot. like, i was worried i305 might melt hot. not the wheels -- the steel beams.

it held up, though.

man, it was running fast and intense. gave some of the most intense rides i've ever had on it.

aaand my daughter rode Avalanche and Backlot Stunt Coaster for the first time. she *loved* Avalanche. did not care for Backlot. ( i think it threw her head around too much).

And at the end of a full day of walking around, riding stuff, playing in the water park, and just generally subjecting ourselves to being seared and sauteed on an asphalt skillet, my son Mal still had the energy to rock out when his jam came on.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]