TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^UPDATE: Nothing in this week's H-P.

Meanwhile, it seems that Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland will receive pretty large B&Ms for the 2016 season.

I know for a fact that Cedar Fair just doesn't have the budget for a third B&M at Kings Dominion, so this means we can rule out any large coaster or coaster-like contraption at Kings Dominion in 2016 (unless it's a GCI woodie, but where would they put it? Hurler ain't goin' nowhere). Honestly, I believe that Kings Dominion will receive some sort of flat ride in 2016, minor improvements in 2017 with the removal of Shockwave mid-to-late season, and that long-overdue B&M in 2018. Hopefully, the 2018 coaster will be something worth waiting EIGHT YEARS FOR (which, if directly compared to I305, probably won't be)...

Some days, I feel like the YouTube lady who "can only count to six" when thinking about the number of years we've waited for KD's new coaster...

Canada's Wonderland coaster is actually 2017, just wait and see People don't believe me but we are not getting a 2016 coaster it's 2017 for Canada's Wonderland, however we are getting something in 2016 just not a very large B&M

You all have survey markings, and we don't...

Kings Dominion broke ground on Intimidator 305, the last major coaster, on June 1 of 2009. It's now June 3 of 2015, and no coaster-related construction has been reported. No offense, but your logic doesn't seem to hold water.

^ No it doesn't. You can install more than one roller coaster per season... look at the last time KD got a coaster - Cedar Fair built both Intimidator 305 and Intimidator.

It's coming. Talking about it daily and ragging the chain and park isn't going to speed up the process.

^ No it doesn't. You can install more than one roller coaster per season... look at the last time KD got a coaster - Cedar Fair built both Intimidator 305 and Intimidator.

It's coming. Talking about it daily and ragging the chain and park isn't going to speed up the process.

This. Honestly enjoy some other parks or just be content with I305 for the time being. While I agree that we are becoming overdue for a coaster, complaining about KD on multiple threads which are unrelated to the "issue" at hand isn't helping either. We get it, we all want a coaster. Just wait. It could be 2016, 2017, or 2018. Certifiedcoastergeek: You won't ever be sarisified. You have stated multiple tomes that whatever comes won't be worth it after I305, so why complain about not getting a coaster, then also complaining about theoretical future coasters? Until we get a new coaster, stay put and ride the (2nd) best coaster on the planet!

We drive 6 hours to visit this park every fall and honestly don't care one bit that they haven't gotten a new coaster lately. I feel the same way about Kings Dominion as I do about Great Adventure, a new coaster would be great but the coaster lineup is already awesome so I have nothing to complain about.

We drive 6 hours to visit this park every fall and honestly don't care one bit that they haven't gotten a new coaster lately. I feel the same way about Kings Dominion as I do about Great Adventure, a new coaster would be great but the coaster lineup is already awesome so I have nothing to complain about.

I agree. I think that a new coaster would be great for either park but they still have fantastic lineups as they are right now.

But if I had to add anything to KD it would be a winged hypercoaster, and if I could add anything to SFGAdv, it would be a Maverick style launch coaster.

Alright so I just watched some POVs of last year on I305 vs this year. What is the deal with the massive slow down a little before the end. it seems they have a trim engaging. How much of a difference does it make to those who had been on it in previous years and this year?

Alright so I just watched some POVs of last year on I305 vs this year. What is the deal with the massive slow down a little before the end. it seems they have a trim engaging. How much of a difference does it make to those who had been on it in previous years and this year?

It rides no differently this year as it has all others, that trim has always been there and it's always been the same every year, with this year being no exception.

The trim just hits harder when the ride is going faster. If anything, the harder the trim hits means the more insane the ride is before that... However, it is my understanding that the trim regulates the speed going into the final section so warm, cold, dry, or wet the ride essentially remains the same in that last section.

There is nothing different about the ride now than in 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 - no worries!

Certifiedcoastergeek: You won't ever be satisified. You have stated multiple times that whatever comes won't be worth it after I305, so why complain about not getting a coaster, then also complaining about theoretical future coasters? Until we get a new coaster, stay put and ride the (2nd) best coaster on the planet!

First point: Intimidator 305 is (from what I've ridden so far) the best roller coaster out there (and you can click the link in my signature if you want to find out what I've been on). You're entitled to your opinion, however.

Second point: I'm not complaining because Kings Dominion won't get a B&M stratacoaster or something like that, it's just concern for the future appeal of the park and its marketability, which can send the park into a downwards spiral of less park income which results in fewer and fewer park investments. You can only market a coaster as "brand-spankin' new" for so long (even if it's an 11/10 no contest), and in today's hypercompetitive amusement industry, six-plus years is too long (especially with BGW directly competing for ticket sales).

But cfc, I agree....

Que será, será

(which is Spanish for "what will be, will be", and no, I didn't use Google Translate, I used my four years of high-school Spanish )

Also, if you were watching the TPR POV's that were recently posted (such awesome footage BTW), both back seat and front row POVs were taken in the morning with empty trains. It is traveling much slower in those POV's than it does on a hot summer day with a train full of happy passengers! Have fun this Sunday!

Certifiedcoastergeek: You won't ever be satisified. You have stated multiple times that whatever comes won't be worth it after I305, so why complain about not getting a coaster, then also complaining about theoretical future coasters? Until we get a new coaster, stay put and ride the (2nd) best coaster on the planet!

First point: Intimidator 305 is (from what I've ridden so far) the best roller coaster out there (and you can click the link in my signature if you want to find out what I've been on). You're entitled to your opinion, however.

Second point: I'm not complaining because Kings Dominion won't get a B&M stratacoaster or something like that, it's just concern for the future appeal of the park and its marketability, which can send the park into a downwards spiral of less park income which results in fewer and fewer park investments. You can only market a coaster as "brand-spankin' new" for so long (even if it's an 11/10 no contest), and in today's hypercompetitive amusement industry, six-plus years is too long (especially with BGW directly competing for ticket sales).

But cfc, I agree....

Que será, será

(which is Spanish for "what will be, will be", and no, I didn't use Google Translate, I used my four years of high-school Spanish )

MIA last major attraction was Thunderhawk in 2008 (used SLC) and there having steady increases in profits and attendances year after year. Cedar Fair is working there magic on KD. There fixing a bunch of little issues around the park instead of splashing down huge amounts of money on a roller coaster. They understand that a huge new coaster isnt needed to attract more guest. More family's will come back to a clean, upkept park. Not a teen filled thrill park with no character or charm. Trust me, KD's time will come (again). Until then, let CF work is magic by creating a better atmosphere around the park.

Yes, those trims have been there for a long time--and the ride is still intense and amazing.

MIA last major attraction was Thunderhawk in 2008 (used SLC) and there having steady increases in profits and attendances year after year. Cedar Fair is working there magic on KD. There fixing a bunch of little issues around the park instead of splashing down huge amounts of money on a roller coaster. They understand that a huge new coaster isnt needed to attract more guest. More family's will come back to a clean, upkept park. Not a teen filled thrill park with no character or charm. Trust me, KD's time will come (again). Until then, let CF work is magic by creating a better atmosphere around the park.

AGREE! AGREE! I'm a teen, I like big coasters, but I also like a nice fun park. Kd is a beautiful park and I enjoy it.

I am planning on taking the family to KD in two weeks. The only other time I have been there was by myself last year. I arrived around 10 for a 1030 opening. I do not have access to ERT. I was granted access to International Street and didn't expect to ride anything but got on Dominator. I then went to the rope near Dominator to head to Volcano and wait until 1030. They allowed gold passes through to ERT. Is Dominator normally open early like that to non pass holders. I am trying to make a plan for my kids especially since I have different heights and going to try to divide and conquer the park.

Also does anybody have a good guess on what height child Shockwave allows? I know what the published requirement is but is it close to 48" or more like 54"?

Not to be a pain but anybody have an answer. This got buried in when will KD get a coaster debate.

I am planning on taking the family to KD in two weeks. The only other time I have been there was by myself last year. I arrived around 10 for a 1030 opening. I do not have access to ERT. I was granted access to International Street and didn't expect to ride anything but got on Dominator. I then went to the rope near Dominator to head to Volcano and wait until 1030. They allowed gold passes through to ERT. Is Dominator normally open early like that to non pass holders. I am trying to make a plan for my kids especially since I have different heights and going to try to divide and conquer the park.

Also does anybody have a good guess on what height child Shockwave allows? I know what the published requirement is but is it close to 48" or more like 54"?

Not to be a pain but anybody have an answer. This got buried in when will KD get a coaster debate.

B&M standups are 54", so it's probably closer to that.

^I'm sure its so they have the freedom to tell anyone they can't ride if it may be borderline without creating major disappointment. If they had a set height restriction and someone had unusual proportions, you couldn't deny them as easily without an argument/dispute. I think it's a smart way to go about it, however vague.

that trim has been there since the ride opened. i rode it on one of the first days it was eperating and the trim was present. it was there before the temporary trims on the drop, before the turn redesign, before the water spritzers on the wheels. the ride is incredible even with that minor slowdown before the last section (trust me those twists dont need to be taken at any higher a speed .