TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

One is over gravel, one is in the dark, one is inverted, and one WOULD be over a lake. All totally different experiences. I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm saying it would be cool.

The last thing KD needs is another launcher & they don't need another coaster in the congo area,unless of course Anaconda were to be removed in favor of something new like a B&M wingrider or flyer.

It would be interesting to see planet snoopy be upgraded/expanded to include a new ride or two for families to enjoy since flying ace(aka windseeker JR.) is the only ride back there.That would also follow in line with the park's usual pattern of thrill rides one year,family oriented rides/attractions the following year which could lead to something new for the thrill seekers/coaster lovers come 2014.

One is over gravel, one is in the dark, one is inverted, and one WOULD be over a lake. All totally different experiences. I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm saying it would be cool.

The last thing KD needs is another launcher & they don't need another coaster in the congo area,unless of course Anaconda were to be removed in favor of something new like a B&M wingrider or flyer.

It would be interesting to see planet snoopy be upgraded/expanded to include a new ride or two for families to enjoy since flying ace(aka windseeker JR.) is the only ride back there.That would also follow in line with the park's usual pattern of thrill rides one year,family oriented rides/attractions the following year which could lead to something new for the thrill seekers/coaster lovers come 2014.

Read the last sentence of my post that you quoted.

Read the last sentence of my post that you quoted.

Yes I'm aware that it's not gonna happen but I'm just saying that,in the future I'd hope KD doesn't put it's next coaster(whenever that comes) in congo.

Word is that Shockwave may be leaving the park.

This would be one awesome replacement for it, and would fit well in at the park IMO

I don't think that's going to happen. KD is already the park with the most launched coasters in the world. Having yet another one would be pointless...

This has to be the dumbest thing I read today, you do realize that the launch is the new lift hill, right?

A park can put in as many launch coasters as they want to!

Hasn't "the word" been that Shock Wave is being removed for the past ten years or so? Yet, there it still stands. Hurler too.

You can't just replace Shock Wave with "the compact GCI I want so much" and expect everything to be peaches and cream for all eternity. People ride Shock Wave because it's a stand-up coaster - it's unique and different. People ride it so they can go home to their friends and brag about how they rode "the super scary coaster that you stand up on".

The point of a coaster like Shock Wave is to provide an attraction that you can't get anywhere else, or in King's Dominion's case, within a two-hour drive and separate admission to Six Flags America. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why Volcano still stands even though it apparently has such terrible capacity. Avalanche too.

If you're going to replace Shock Wave, replace it with an equally unique attraction, like an Intamin Zacspin, S&S El Loco or Free Fly, or even another stand-up coaster.

Shockwave was also recently repainted and has been drawing more of a line ever since. If anything needs to go, it really is Hurler. Not just because it's terrible, and the trees around Grizzly should make a comeback, but because I've never in all my life waited more than one train for it.

If they replaced anaconda with a launched coaster over the lake, that would be FANTASTIC.

I don't think that's going to happen. KD is already the park with the most launched coasters in the world. Having yet another one would be pointless...

I think Cedar Point is tied for most launched coasters - Maverick, Wicked Twister, TTD. KD has Volcano, FoF, and Backlot Stunt Coaster.

^You're correct. When they removed Hypersonic, they lost that record. Now all they need is a launched ride over 300 feet tall - take back the launch record, and tie for the most rides over 300 feet!

Wait, don't they already have the most over 300 feet record?

Is the most launched coasters thing actually used for marketing the park? Just seems more of a coincidence than a record that they're trying to get.

When they're due for another coaster, I highly doubt they would get rides like a Zacspin or SurfRider or the recent S:UF by Premier. In recent years they've focused a lot on getting high capacity rides into the parks, and those rides mentioned don't scream capacity to me.

Shockwave was also recently repainted and has been drawing more of a line ever since. If anything needs to go, it really is Hurler. Not just because it's terrible, and the trees around Grizzly should make a comeback, but because I've never in all my life waited more than one train for it.

Just because you've never waited for it doesn't mean it doesn't have the ridership. As an enthusiast, you'd probably go on a day without many lines anyway. Dragon Fire at CW, an old Arrow looper, was expected by many to be scrapped by now, but it was revealed to have the highest ridership among the other thrill rides in the park. I've never waited more than one or two cycles for it.

^^Kings Dominion has Eiffel Tower, Indimidator 305, Drop Tower, and Windseeker. Cedar Point has Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Power Tower, Windseeker, and Space Spiral. Though now that I think about it, they're tied for that once Space Spiral gets removed!

^The launch record isn't even something I think they ever marketed, it's just something that they held by virtue of having that many launch rides. And I'm not definitively stating that it never, ever has a line, I've just never seen one, and I've been visiting the park on busy and non-busy days for ten years now. Personal observation, that's all.

^You're correct. When they removed Hypersonic, they lost that record. Now all they need is a launched ride over 300 feet tall - take back the launch record, and tie for the most rides over 300 feet!

Be kinda hard to take tallest launch title in USA with out going 460 feet and 130+mph. Shockwave has beenup for sale once before but now it is one of a rare breed still in operating. I would like to see a good old twister woodie or a coaster that really isn't of the norm on the east coast. As far as launch coasters 3 is enough. Also Volcano is getting a new station to help with increased capacity. Avalanche has ran 3 trains a few times this year but due to the seating of the trains nothing is going tofix it's capacity. I do remember FOF having a good capacity at one point during it's first year's. But haven't rode jt much since so have no clue to what it is now. I posted a google earth pic of the sohth end of park which shows they could build almost another total area there.......

Just my thoughts.

^That was just a joke, but what I meant was that if they added a launched coaster that was taller than 300 feet, they would take the record for number of launched coasters and number of rides above 300 feet. I'm not suggesting that whatsoever. Though, if any US park were to get the next strata, I would put my money on it being Kings Dominion.

Management at KD has said in the past that Shockwave will be there for quite some time. It's a low-cost, low-maintenance ride, and still inexplicably gets decent ridership. Not to mention the fact that it takes up a really small footprint in the park.

I always wondered why Kings Island removed King Cobra because it seemed to have basically all of the same qualities as Shockwave, low-cost, low-maintenance, small foot print etc. It didn't really fit the thematic direction that section took after it's removal but that could have been changed, and I feel like Delirium could have been installed elsewhere on the property without removing a major coaster.

Anyone know if the trains or any of the hardware from Cobra was shipped to Dominion for spares for Shockwave?