TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Searchers scour waters between Florida, Bahamas for cruise passenger

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/travel/florida-missing-cruise-passenger/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Miami (CNN) -- A Canadian woman was nowhere to be found when her cruise ship docked in Florida, prompting an FBI investigation and a Coast Guard search Thursday between Palm Beach and the Bahamas, authorities said.

A man, also Canadian, told a Celebration Cruise Line staff member around 8 a.m. on Wednesday -- as travelers were disembarking in Palm Beach -- that he hadn't seen his female traveling companion for seven hours, Celebration spokesman Glenn Ryerson told CNN.

That disclosure prompted an extensive search of the ship, after which police were notified, according to the cruise line's spokesman.

The couple -- who Ryerson said were not married but were "certainly" friends -- had left Palm Beach on Saturday destined for the Bahamas. They disembarked in the Caribbean nation the next day, spending two nights there through a package offered via the cruise line, Ryerson said.

"We believe she did reboard" on Tuesday for her return trip to Florida, the spokesman said.

After the search, the ship set sail again at 6 p.m. Wednesday on another scheduled trip, Ryerson said.

By then, authorities had begun their probe into the woman's disappearance.

"The FBI is investigating, and we have launched a search-and-rescue operation," said Coast Guard spokesman Nick Ameen.

Specifically, two Coast Guard cutter ships -- the Drummond and Kingfisher -- are canvassing the waters off Florida's southeast coast, Ameen said.

They are getting air support in the form of crews aboard a C-130 Hercules plane and an H-60 Jayhawk helicopter out of the Coast Guard's Clearwater air station, as well as from a Florida National Guard airplane crew, Ameen said.

Chris Plunkett, a spokesman for the Canadian Embassy in Washington, said Thursday that foreign ministry officials were aware of the missing woman.

Canadian consular officials are working with the cruise line and Florida authorities and are preparing, as needed, to provide assistance, Plunkett said.

• 2 weeks later...

Searched up and down this thread and found nothing. I'm taking a cruise next month with my family on the Mariner of the seas. I'd like to use my Iphone 4 occasionally for calls and maybe check-ins on apps like foursquare and such. Any suggestions on what I can do to be able to do this without paying too much extra? It's kind of an odd question I know.

^Use it while on the ship or in port?

Either way you're looking at some very expensive calls and data unless you find free wifi in one of the ports.

You'll probably be best to purchase an international data plan if you plan on using it while in port, but just be careful, it can add up super fast!

Sorry I was actually talking about on the ship. I got an international data plan and a discounted min plan while off the ship but I was wondering if there was something I could do while on the ship? I'm guessing probably not because they can charge there own amounts.

I actually welcomed the break from my cell phone when I sailed the Oasis in December. Turned off and locked up. It felt great! I bought one of the wi-fi plans just to check facebook once or twice to upload pics from my Ipad and send a few emails to family. So nice not to have to answer a phone or texts.

YES! I agree with you one hundred million thousand percent! One of the nicest things about being on a cruise IMO is that your cel phone DOESN'T work! If I'm always looking at my phone, or texting, or checking my mails, it just doesn't feel relaxing or like "vacation" to me!

I actually welcomed the break from my cell phone when I sailed the Oasis in December. Turned off and locked up. It felt great! I bought one of the wi-fi plans just to check facebook once or twice to upload pics from my Ipad and send a few emails to family. So nice not to have to answer a phone or texts.

Couldn't agree more. Turned off my phone when the ship took off and never even thought about it. I felt like my vacation officially ended when i turned it back on in Port Everglades to the barrage of emails and texts.

Super excited, it's official! Kevin and I just booked our 10 night Eastern Mediterranean honeymoon cruise for this fall on the Celebrity Equinox. Neither of us have been to the Mediterranean or have cruised on Celebrity. The Equinox looks really sleek. I've only heard good things about Celebrity, hopefully it is all true. The Itinerary looks to be a good balance of major busy sightseeing port days, easier chill-out port days and 2 days at sea (our favorite parts of cruising). Can't wait to go!

Out Itinerary:

Day 1 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Day 2 Sicily (Messina), Italy

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Day 5 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey

Day 6 Rhodes, Greece

Day 7 Santorini, Greece

Day 8 Mykonos, Greece

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 Naples, Italy

Day 11 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

^ So excited for you guys! If you need any advice on getting to Cittavechia from Rome let me know. The train is super easy to do and will save you a ton of cash. Also if you want to do Pompeii on your naples day, it is easy enough to do on your own without a shore excursion. The large tour groups in Pompeii looked MISERABLE and its a short train ride also.

From the "Oh Carnival" files and for those of you who still don't feel that Carnival and Costa are one in the same...

A judge today essentially put a "lien" on the Carnival Triumph in Galveston because of a 10mil lawsuit that is pending due to passenger death from Costa.

Heres the article...

A Carnival Corp. (CCL) cruise ship was ordered held in a Texas port by a U.S. judge in a $10 million lawsuit filed by the family of a German tourist who died aboard the Costa Concordia shipwreck off the Italian coast.

An arrest warrant was issued yesterday for the MS Carnival Triumph, a 2,758-passenger cruise liner based in Galveston, Texas, that is owned by the same company that owns the Costa Concordia, according to the lawsuit also filed yesterday in federal court in Galveston by the family of Siglinde Stumpf. The Triumph provides year-round service from the Houston area to multiple ports in the Caribbean and Mexico, according to Carnival’s website.

“The court finds that the conditions for an attachment of defendants’ joint and collective property within this district, mainly the MS Carnival Triumph, appear to exist upon an admiralty and maritime claim,” U.S. Magistrate Judge John Froeschner of Galveston said in the warrant…. The case is Kai Stumpf v. Carnival plc, 3:12-cv-00099, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (Galveston).

So it looks like they have come to some sort of temporary agreement and the ship should be able to sail very soon... heres the crazy part - the US Marshal service put signs on the ship saying it was seized!

marshal.jpg.14eb0699bb97d9d971ee605b0221203f.jpg

marshal2.jpg.66c490e2c390e4bb84d9979bcab0a609.jpg

^ So excited for you guys! If you need any advice on getting to Cittavechia from Rome let me know. The train is super easy to do and will save you a ton of cash. Also if you want to do Pompeii on your naples day, it is easy enough to do on your own without a shore excursion. The large tour groups in Pompeii looked MISERABLE and its a short train ride also.

Hiring a *good* local guide for Pompeii is a great idea. I saw WAY more this way than I did on my previous trip when I was using a guidebook. A good guide is very expensive though. It makes sense to get a few other people to share the cost with.

Also, it's a good idea to see the archaeological museum in Naples if times allows since that's where all the art and artifacts from Pompeii were moved to. The ruins were stripped clean by the Frenchie-Spanish kings a few hundred years ago.

And watch out in Naples, especially on the trains and subways. The thieves there are legendarily good. Anthony Bourdain's crew got an $8,000 HD camera stolen there last year. It vanished without a trace.

^If you follow normal anti-theft precautions (keep your cash and cards in a money belt under your pants, don't wear a $5000 camera around your neck), Napoli is fine. It's worth a stop for the pizza and coffee alone. Wandering the crazy old town makes for an interesting afternoon. The locals are actually very friendly and helpful.

^Agreed about the thieves. It was the only place in all of Italy that we felt unsafe. That combined with a bus tour driver that almost killed us twice... I would skip Naples if I went again. LOL

I found Naples to be absolutely disgusting and can't imagine wanting to spend another day there, (unless it was purely to give the place a second chance.) Pompeii made up for it though! If you want to see more of what I mean, check out this video:

*edited to fix video link, (which I seem to do wrong every time!)

This is a bit of a crazy story...but as always... only on Carnival!!!

Article HERE from the Miami Herald.

A teenage girl from North Central Florida claims she was subjected to a strip search and thrown off a cruise ship in the Bahamas, according to a lawsuit filed last month against Carnival Corp. in federal court in Miami.

A Carnival spokeswoman says the claims are false.

The girl, identified as J.G., was 17 when she boarded the Carnival Sensation in Port Canaveral with family members and a friend for a four-day cruise to the Bahamas last April.

The complaint alleges that three ship employees went into the teen’s room early in the morning after a stop in Nassau.

A security officer said he had found a bag with “green leaves and substance inside” on the floor of the elevator that he and the teen had been riding in. According to the suit, the three employees started questioning the teen, coercing her into admitting the bag was hers. Her mother was not present, the suit says.

After searching the cabin, the employees forced the teen to take her underwear off and lift her dress up, the complaint says, then made her go into the bathroom, where they watched her urinate. They also made her remove a tampon so the female employee could visually search her genital cavity, the suit alleges.

The girl and her mother were taken off the ship, and the teen was put in a Bahamian holding cell with an adult woman, where she was assaulted, the complaint says.

The teen was released from jail the next day without penalty and was not able to leave the Bahamas with her mother for two days, according to the suit, which is seeking more than $75,000.

In a statement, Carnival said that the cruise operator typically does not comment on pending lawsuits, but “feels compelled to do so given the far-fetched claims made in this lawsuit.:

The statement continues: “The claim that the plaintiff was strip searched is patently false, and obviously made in retaliation for the cruise line disembarking the plaintiff and her mother part-way through the voyage in Nassau where the plaintiff was taken into custody by the Bahamian police.”

^ Hahahaha! It's funny you mention the pizza near Pompeii in your video - that is also where we had some of the worst pizza in all of Italy. Most was amazing!

Strangely enough, the best espresso I ever had was at one of those fresh squeezed juice stands across from the entrance to Pompeii. For me, it beat out all the famous cafes I tried in Rome and Naples.

The best pizza we had in Italy was in some nondescript place in Salerno that used super fresh Buffalo mozzarella. So creamy and amazing.

For those who find Naples to be too crazy, I suggest taking the train down to Sorrento and checking out the Amalfi Coast. Very beautiful and absolutely nothing like Naples.