TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Giant Dipper sure can rough you up good, and Hurricane also has a major jolt. When I went, I did a very quick credit run at Gilroy Gardens first (also riding Banana Split, a great little ship) to ensure maximum time at SCBB. Don't forget the exciting ring carousel where the object is to toss them into a clown's mouth! From my limited sampling I'd say the most intense flats are the Fireball (KMG claw) and Rock-O-Plane.

I will be headed there on Wednesday! Im looking forward to riding the Giant Dipper and Double Shot. Does anyone know why they dont run both trains on the dipper when the ride opens? It seems like every time I go red train is always running while blue is in the shed.

I will be headed there on Wednesday! Im looking forward to riding the Giant Dipper and Double Shot. Does anyone know why they dont run both trains on the dipper when the ride opens? It seems like every time I go red train is always running while blue is in the shed.

It's never really busy enough to require both trains right when the park opens. They usually add the second train in the late afternoon. And I agree with you about the red train, it's always the one running it seems like (I think the blue train is smoother).

To all of you guys who are going to the park soon, be sure to experience the new Haunted Castle attraction that opened in June 2010. It is a great ride and over the past month, over 4 new props have been added to the ride, thus creating a more "complete" ride.

~Nicholas

An interesting thing on the Giant Dipper is there's a sign that you go under during the ride that states," Danger! Keep arms down". Aren't coasters designed that if you put your arms up that you won't hit the wooden beams. If you could, it probably won't pass safety regulations.

On the ride, this one person put their hands up during the whole ride and they weren't even close to hitting the beam. In my opinion, I think the sign is just there to scare people, but is it really a hazard to put your hands up during the ride?

I think that refers to putting your arms out, rather than down. You know, the tried and true safety spiel "keeps your arms and legs inside the car at all times".

I will re-check the sign next time I go to Santa Cruz, but you are probably right.

Just think about a GP sticking their whole upper body out of the car, not only is it hilarious to imagine, it's dangerous and stupid. We all are smarter than that, that's why we're not the GP.

^ Your correct about that sign. It does indeed say keep your arms down. I noticed this last Wednesday. Also on one of the posts in the station it says not to sick hand out at the incoming train. In other words no giving high fives. Although I did see a bunch of people stick their arms out and give high fives and it seemed the ride ops didn't care.

An interesting thing on the Giant Dipper is there's a sign that you go under during the ride that states," Danger! Keep arms down". Aren't coasters designed that if you put your arms up that you won't hit the wooden beams. If you could, it probably won't pass safety regulations.

On the ride, this one person put their hands up during the whole ride and they weren't even close to hitting the beam. In my opinion, I think the sign is just there to scare people, but is it really a hazard to put your hands up during the ride?

They are required to post such signs, think of it more as a liability thing.

Remember this is California, where everybody is sue happy and there is no such thing as common sense.

Not to mention, people will try to reach out beyond what they should and can actually touch hand rails. The parks need to cover all bases so that should someone try to sue from their own stupidity the parks can simply state that 'signs are posted.' Going back to the handrail slappers I saw on the Grizzly last time when I was at CGA. What I find kind of funny is signs saying keep feet inside car at all times on a floorless or inverted ride. Your feet are in the open air. Again though, they probably have to cover every base they can to prevent a lawsuit.

Tomorrow morning I have to drive my parents to San Jose Airport for a 7:30 AM flight to Hawaii so I'm going to Raging Waters San Jose during the day and then to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk before heading back home to SLO County. SCBB is doing 1907 nights with $1 rides, sodas, hot dogs, and cotton candy so I'm stoked about that. The last time I went to the Boardwalk was in 2005, when their Double Shot drop ride was brand new. I of course will be getting at least a couple of rides on Giant Dipper it will be my first coaster ride of 2011 )and I may get that kiddie coaster credit (if they let me on)... but what rides have been added in recent years (since 2006) that are worth riding? I like thrill rides and any unique rides in general, I don't care for kiddie carnival rides. Anyways I'm looking forward to my first amusement park and my second water park of the year, and I'll post a photo TR within a few days.

Earlier today I went to SCBB and checked out most of the cool rides. I rode Giant Dipper in the back seat, which gives pretty good airtime. Hurricane is a little rough but bearable. Some of the other flats I rode were Cyclone, Cliffhanger, Double Shot, Pirate, and Fireball. I spent about 4-5 hours in the park. Sadly, I don't have many pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure most of you guys don't know, but on August 3rd (yesterday) the Looff Carousel turned 100 years old. In honor of it's birthday, I rode it 100 times (only getting off once!) It took me from 11 AM to 11:07 PM! I was also interviewed by local news station LIVE, KSBW! Also, was interviewed by the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Links: www.facebook.com/SantaCruzBeachBoardwalk

http://www.ksbw.com/video/28761198/detail.html

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_18610621

AND BOY AM I SORE!

~Nicholas

^^I was at the Boardwalk yesterday, and saw you Nicholas! When I got there around 5:30, the sign said that you were on your 53rd ride. When I was leaving at 10:50, you were still there. That's dedication, kudos for hanging in there!

Since it was my first visit since 2007 (despite the fact that I live only 35-40 minutes away, and the fact that I had been going to UC Santa Cruz for the past two years), I figured I would write a quick report. It was PACKED. Every line was way out the entrance, and it was anyone's guess as to where they actually started. Only got on 10 rides, and I'm extremely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to ride the new Haunted Castle. I was about 15 minutes in the line when it broke down, and it never reopened for the rest of the night.

What I rode:

Giant Dipper: It's been awhile since I've ridden a real wooden coaster! (cough Grizzly cough). Best ride in the park in my opinion, and tons of air time to be had here. The ride operators were flying through the trains. Even though the overflow queue was about halfway full, the line was only 10 minutes.

Hurricane: I don't know why this coaster has such a bad reputation. I enjoyed it, it really packs a punch (in a good way). Those who say that it's rough have obviously never ridden CGA's Vortex. If the removal rumors are true, I'm glad I got my last ride in.

Double Shot: The anticipation for the launch is the best part of the ride. The launch itself isn't quite as forceful as I remember it being. It's a fun ride to be sure, but it still left me asking, "Eh, is that it?"

Cyclone: Wow. I seriously underestimated this ride. I will admit, I was a little nervous when I was getting on and saw that there was really nothing to hold you in (that seatbelt is more for show than anything else). But I soon found out that you don't need anything to hold you in, the momentum had me glued to the wall, and I could barely move. Also, the ride just...never...stops. I haven't gotten that "eyes spinning in your head" dizzy for a very long time. Fun ride, but there's no way I could ride it more than once per visit.

Crazy Surf: Still one of my favorite rides in the park, but I had to double check to make sure that the restraints weren't made out of brick.

Ghost Blasters: Where's the theme song? That seems almost criminal to turn it off. I swear you could hear crickets during the ride, that's how quiet it was inside. Disappointing, although I did get a decent score (1398).

Rock and Roll: It looks nice.

Fireball: I love this ride! Definitely worth the wait. The program it runs is fast, intense, and unpredictable. Definitely better than CGA's Delirium.

The rest...

Speed Bumps and Logger's Revenge.

It was an okay visit, the extremely overcrowded walkways and closed Haunted Castle hindered my experience. This park looks great at night, and I forgot just how LOUD it is. Also, major props to the friendly ride operators, even past 10:00 they showed no signs of fatigue.

^I went to the Boardwalk recently and I agree with you on the Giant Dipper, Hurricane, and Crazy Surf. Crazy Surf was the surprise hit of the park.

I did a TR of 1907 Nights at the Boardwalk and the rides I went on a little over a week ago and have them posted here if anyone wants to take a look at them and/or leave comments. They are right below the Raging Waters San Jose pics as I went there during the day and Santa Cruz at night.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60019

I went to SCBB last Friday for my first time ever. I really enjoyed myself. The atmosphere was simply delightful, my first time at a "classic" boardwalk. My wife told me that the Giant Dipper was really smooth. I was dubious that a roller coaster *that* old could be smooth. However, low and behold, the ride was REALLY smooth. There were many parts where it felt like the train was floating...I couldn't perceive any friction. The airtime was delightful (especially rising up into the second turnaround), and the crew was HAULING A$$! I mean, 2 minute dispatches, average waits of 10 minutes for the front like clockwork. Hurricane was nothing special...however, it was my 100th coaster, so I was glad to join the 100+ club. That crazy diving close-to-vertical-helix type thing was rather jarring. All in all, I had a great time. I do enjoy riding old woodies. The look of the ride, the sounds, the smells...it definitely feels like a piece of history.

-Doug

• 2 weeks later...