TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Do You Think Of Morgan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Chance Morgan factory is just a few miles from my house, so it will always have a place in my heart

I find Mamba at WoF to be fun. Not really intense, but fun, nonetheless.

Steel Eel at Sea World San Antonio, now THAT'S a different story! That was intense. Full train+back seat ride= LOADS of air. Great ride.

I like how the trains are long, as well. It gives more airtime to the people in the back.

But I do think that most Morgan coasters are the same. I just *WISH* we wouldn't have to stop (or come close to stopping) on the MCBR. However, I've heard that Mamba has really just been passing through it this year and not slowing down a lot. That's great.

They did a great job with converting Steel Phantom into Phantom's Revenge, granted the last few hills aren't so nice to the male anatomy. But it was a fun airtime filled ride.

I haven't ridden one of their generic CF hyper coasters though.

Well, Magnum is not a Morgan, it's an Arrow.

I have only ridden Steel Force at Dorney and Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood.

Though, I will agree that Steel Force is very similar to Magnum. Phantom is NOTHING like Steel Force! It has NO MCBR, a unique design and layout, and a wide range of different forces and elements.

-Mr. Bebe

Well, Magnum is not a Morgan, it's an Arrow.

I have only ridden Steel Force at Dorney and Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood.

Though, I will agree that Steel Force is very similar to Magnum. Phantom is NOTHING like Steel Force! It has NO MCBR, a unique design and layout, and a wide range of different forces and elements.

-Mr. Bebe

I am very well aware that Magnum is an Arrow. I was simply comparing the Magnum first drop to the generic Morgan first drop

I've only been on Steel Force, but I thought it was a really fun ride. Something about big hyper coasters with inner guide wheels intrigues me. I don't know why, I just think the track/trains are interesting. So, I like Morgan (Even though I've yet to ride a few more).

I have been on every Morgan except for Superman in Mexico. I find them all to be very similar - big and fast and a lot of "fun" but not many forces.

I actually think Steel Eel is my favorite of all the Morgan "hypers" with the helix of Mamba probably having the best "moment" of them all (the headchoppers.)

Although Phantom's Revenge is a bit different because of it's history, so if I included that one it would be my favorite of them all.

Oddly enough I find Steel Dragon 2000 to be my least favorite Morgan.

--Robb

ps. Be on the look out for Robb's Steel Dragon 2000 footage to be featured in an upcoming TV show!

I've been on the three Cedar Fair hypers (Wild Thing, Mamba, and Steel Force, in that order). Mamba and Steel Force are very similar, but I think Mamba gets the edge for me because of the enormous airtime on the second hill and for the headchopper in the helix. Steel Force is more visually pleasing, though. Wild Thing is just a forceless bore, and the MCBR essentially stops the train. It's okay in the front, but it goes so.... slow..... through the turnaround and the floater "air" on the second hill is barely noticeable.

1. Mamba

2. Steel Force

3. Wild Thing

OH! And I've also been on the Santa Monica Pier coaster, which I'm pretty sure is Morgen. Photogenic, but very boring.

EDIT: Someone asked - yes, both times I've been at WoF this season, Mamba has been speeding through the MCBR. Lot's of fun.

^ Actually, of the pictures you posted, Steel Eel and Phantom's Revenge are probably the most "different" of them all.

Had you posted pictures of Wild Thing, Steel Force, Mamba, and Steel Dragon, those four are all very similar in many ways.

--Robb

^ Actually, of the pictures you posted, Steel Eel and Phantom's Revenge are probably the most "different" of them all.

Had you posted pictures of Wild Thing, Steel Force, Mamba, and Steel Dragon, those four are all very similar in many ways.

--Robb

Perhaps. All the same, just go to any site such as coastergallery.com

or even our own TPR and you will find coaster that look almost the same, all by Morgan. I feel like the originality of many coaster companies is getting better. For example: take companies like B&M, whose first inverted coasters were stream of mass produced Batman themed rides. Now a-days though, B&M makes many original coasters such as Manta, Griffon, and The Incredible Hulk. Vekoma used to only make SLC's and boomerangs, throwing in the occasional evil arrow collab. But they are on the road to recovery, now that they have added in less head bashing shoulder restraints. D.H. Morgan coasters had the exact same feel to them for years, and there are of coarse a few exceptions as the company gets used to the everchanging coaster world.

I guess in short, I'm saying that Morgan's originality may not be the highest in the market, but I do believe they are starting to make some more original coasters.

I guess in short, I'm saying that Morgan's originality may not be the highest in the market, but I do believe they are starting to make some more original coasters.

Not trying to pick on you but you should check out the time lines for when the rides you mention were built. You're attributing various coaster designs to trends over time but I think if you track exactly what seasons some of these rides opened a lot of what you're saying doesn't really pan out.

As for the Morgan's I've ridden, Steel Force is pretty bad. I mean, it's not *bad* of course, it's a quite pleasant, fun ride, but it's absolutely my least favorite hyper and just seems to be the lowest form in it's genre. Still fun but just completely unexceptional.

Phantom, on the other hand, is phenomenal of course. There's a few steel coasters I like more but when it comes to just all-out giggle inducing fun Phantom is right there at the top. So, so good. One of those I want to ride all day.

Not trying to pick on you but you should check out the time lines for when the rides you mention were built. You're attributing various coaster designs to trends over time but I think if you track exactly what seasons some of these rides opened a lot of what you're saying doesn't really pan out.

As for the Morgan's I've ridden, Steel Force is pretty bad. I mean, it's not *bad* of course, it's a quite pleasant, fun ride, but it's absolutely my least favorite hyper and just seems to be the lowest form in it's genre. Still fun but just completely unexceptional.

Phantom, on the other hand, is phenomenal of course. There's a few steel coasters I like more but when it comes to just all-out giggle inducing fun Phantom is right there at the top. So, so good. One of those I want to ride all day.

Well, most of the things I've mentioned, such as early B&Ms and Vekoma's being similar, is true. Many of the first B&Ms are Batman's. I really don't know what you're talking about

Steel Force was ok. Not amazing, just ok.

Steel Dragon was VERY mediocre. Yeah....it's tall and fast, but it feels like you are riding in a HUGE subway car. Just boxy and boring. And it cost me about $150 to ride it when you figure in train fare, admission, etc. Not a cheap credit to achieve! Luckily I was living in Japan at the time.

Now, I finally got on Phantom's Revenge last week. GREAT ride! I really liked it, and it never seemed to let up! The last few hills are a little too sharp and the negative G's throw you right into the lap bars, but the view and speed are great. One of my new favorite re-rideable coasters!

477181843_OHPAJuly2009027(Medium).jpg.79f6053ab2f4b15dbf22ef8acea71a4c.jpg

931470055_OHPAJuly2009035(Medium).jpg.b2c1abee8fc4d2262d59acb181a47aa0.jpg

I've ridden Santa Monica West Coaster, Quicksilver Express, and Phantom's Revenge. Phantom's Revenge is an awesome coaster, Quicksilver is pretty fun (when I was scared to ride big coasters I rode it 13 times in one day ) and Santa Monica West Coaster is very boring. Just because I like hyper coasters, big drops, and air-time, I think I'd really enjoy the rest of their coasters, but I don't think they make the best.

DBru IMO Morgan hypers are 100% smoother than Magnum. I really don't get all the comparisons of Steel Force to Magnum. Really the only thing they have in common is they are both U.S. manufactured and in Cedar Fair parks. The layout, manufacturer, forces, smoothness, everything else is completely different.

I would rank the Morgan's I've been on

1. Phatom's Revenge

2. Steel Force

3. Steel Eel

Steel Eel kind of disappointed me, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps because it was so hyped up to be the best Morgan, and I just didn't think it was. My opinion of Steel Force may be a bit outdated, since I have tripled my coaster count since the last time I rode it, but I really enjoyed it back in the day.