TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^My education in finance paints a more complicated picture than just a few pieces of metal rotting in a field.

The coaster in storage is considered company property. It has a value. Believe it or not. It could continue to depreciate which can be used as a tax write-off. Once the coaster is finally depreciated to zero, then they can collect the scrap metal salvage value. Why incur a huge expense of removal when CNL or whoever owns the property can write off depreciation for a few more years?

In simpler terms, why incur the high expenses of removal when there is no immediate need for the land those track pieces sit on? I'd be more critical of the management of the operating amusement park and resort before the beyond inoperable coaster sitting in a field that another company brought in.

If Darien Lake was sitting on gold, the coaster in storage would have been long gone or actually operating.

If Darien Lake was sitting on gold, the coaster in storage would have been long gone or actually operating.

If Darien Lake was sitting on gold not only would the former Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld would be operating, they would put it in where 'Cuda Falls was.

But due to Six Flags' "foolish move" to send the former Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld to Darien Lake with original plans being for it to be set up and operating at Darien Lake, that never happened and also Six Flags sold Darien Lake, so the coaster was left for rust.

If Darien Lake was sitting on gold not only would the former Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld would be operating, they would put it in where 'Cuda Falls was.

But due to Six Flags' "foolish move" to send the former Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld to Darien Lake with original plans being for it to be set up and operating at Darien Lake, that never happened and also Six Flags sold Darien Lake, so the coaster was left for rust.

Not sure why this topic continues to be brought up here. The park announces two new attractions, and people are talking about a roller coaster that's been rotting away for nearly ten years.

Here's exactly why the coaster hasn't been set up. This story will take a while, but it will address the major questions......

When Astroworld closed in 2005, Six Flags had to make decisions as to where all of the rides would go. Some automatically went to new parks, some went to the scrap yard, and some went into storage. The rumors that Batman was damaged during removal are not true. Some torch cutting was used to remove sticky bolts, but for the most part demolition was normal. The Big Kahuna went up at Darien Lake because it was fairly new and the park had only 4 water park attractions at the time. Batman went into storage at DL because there wasn't a pressing need for a new coaster, and it was close to other Six Flags parks. Then the park was sold, and the coaster was no longer SF property.

When Parc stepped in, they had no idea what to do with the coaster. The trains and controls would be in need of refurbishment, new footers would need to be poured, and a spot would need to be found. Seeing the coaster was a first-gen stand up, Intamin would have given the park a hard time for supplying parts for an older model train, much like Huss with UFOs or Rangers. The coaster was in the plot across the street and not bothering anything so they just left it there. When they finally built a new coaster, they used the pool plot for Motocoaster. Batman may have been able to fit there, but the park went with a new model for a few reasons. One, it was geared towards families, which the park lacked, it was new meaning no refurb was needed, and it would last a lot longer because of maintenance and popularity. Remember that Batman was consistently one of the world's lowest ranked coasters year after year.

Time went on, and there were actually plans to remove the Grizzly Run due to maintenance problems. Either Batman or a new coaster would have replaced it. Grizzly Run was kept and refurbed due to its popularity in the summer months. More time passed, and the elements began to eat away at the unprotected track. Corrosion and rust have likely ruined it by now because the rails and spines are exposed. Had it been set up, it would not be as much as an issue. The coaster itself is nearing thirty years old, Viper is 33 this year. Viper has lasted because it has always been set up, and annual maintenance has been preformed.

To end this explanation, I will state that it is 99 percent impossible to ever see Batman running again. Just too much would need to be done to get it running again, and any park would be better off buying a new coaster. Even if it were in good condition, ask yourself this. Would you want your park to set up a thirty year old, horrible riding stand up coaster that is at the bottom of ratings charts?

Back to the new stuff-

To be honest, I was feeling a bit "meh" with the Giant Loop ride. I've ridden the carny versions many times, both the original with the cages and the open air versions.

Why not something from Mondial (Top Scan, Diablo, Jet Force, or Ultra Max)? A Zamperla Air Race 8.4? A Zierer Star Shape?

I really liked Darien Lake before the Premier/Six Flags take over. I haven't gone there since MotoCoaster was new.

Bringing up the Batman coaster is like asking when Six Flags New Orleans is re-opening

Or like when Darien Lake is going to reopen Floodgate Falls. I say get over it folks, Darien Lake is never going to set up the former Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld or reopen Floodgate Falls. Those two said rides have been sitting dormant rotting away to the point where they're beyond repair and one of these days Darien Lake is going realize that there is no hope for an old rusty pile metal that was a coaster and/or a rotting water slide.

Here's exactly why the coaster hasn't been set up. This story will take a while, but it will address the major questions......

Thank you for clarification & the story behind this...quite interesting!

I would have been more apt to answer the question with something like... "because it sucked".

I wonder why would Six Flags Astroworld sent one of the world's lowest ranked coasters when it was open to Darien Lake only for it to sit dormant until the coaster rusted away to nothing and letting it grow weeds?

It wasn't Astroworld's decision to send any rides anywhere. Six Flags decided to salvage whatever they could before demolition. Many rides were moved to other parks, while others (XLR8, Viper, etc.) were just scrapped because they were old and nearing the end of their lives anyways. Batman was kind of caught in limbo. SF saw it as a working coaster still and sent it to a park that could store it like DL.

It wasn't anyones decision to let it rot either. SF likely had some sort of plans for it, even if it was scrapping the track and using the trains for parts. The park was just sold before any actions were taken, and the coaster became property of CNL and not SF.

I remember riding this coaster when it was Shockwave at SFGA the year it opened and after waiting over 1.5 hours in line, I got off thinking "well...that totally sucked". And that was back in '93 when stand-up coasters were somewhat popular & the "cool thing". It was bangy (think Mantis, but worse), without a decent sized drop, no airtime that I recall and very short for what it was.

Now if we were talking about Ultra Twister rotting away in a field at DL, I could envision negative commotion from enthusiasts (including myself). But for this coaster, I wish they would just have someone haul it away for scrap (or at least hide it in a pile of weeds) so we would never have to talk about it again.

Also, if you look at all the old coasters from Astroworld, only two were actually put up within the chain and stayed that way. Most were either scrapped or sold to parks outside the US or Canada. Two of the coasters were sent to SF parks and still never built. Basically Astroworld had junk coasters and SF knew it but had to try to do something with them when they sold the property.

This response seems reasonable.

^My education in finance paints a more complicated picture than just a few pieces of metal rotting in a field.

The coaster in storage is considered company property. It has a value. Believe it or not. It could continue to depreciate which can be used as a tax write-off. Once the coaster is finally depreciated to zero, then they can collect the scrap metal salvage value. Why incur a huge expense of removal when CNL or whoever owns the property can write off depreciation for a few more years?

In simpler terms, why incur the high expenses of removal when there is no immediate need for the land those track pieces sit on? I'd be more critical of the management of the operating amusement park and resort before the beyond inoperable coaster sitting in a field that another company brought in.

Not to get off topic but I made this sorta/kinda recreation - ish of the RoS. I figured it was worth a share. The supports are no where near close in this because I completely forgot about how overkill they were on the real thing until the video was already uploaded. Aside from that it doesnt look too horrible. Hope you guys/gals enjoy it!

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/qwRwgPs0A_s[/youtu_be]

Absolutely. I don't think most people understand just how expensive it is to remove something. I think the assumption is made that Bubba just comes and picks up the pieces in his pick-up truck and hauls them away to a dumpster and it costs nothing. That couldn't be more of a misconception. It can sometimes cost tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a ride removed. It's a lot of labor and hard work and you get no return on it at all unless those costs are included in the costs to build a new ride in it's place. So it makes perfect sense to me why that ride is still sitting there with no plans to do anything with it in the immediate future.

This response seems reasonable.

Okay so I take it back. You guys were right "They didn't call it a coaster" It still is a stupid idea, and what I said before still stands. Too close to the Ranger which does the same thing. I get the idea of adding a new flat right, but I think it was not thought trough very well. Tons of flat rides to chose from. They just jumped on the wagon, and got what everyone els is getting. A whole bunch of parks getting same portable carnival ride.

The fact that Darien Lake jumped on any wagon is actually an improvement. Before this, the last time Darien Lake jumped on any wagon was with Ride Of Steel (Ride Of Steel started the wagon itslef). In between, a Space Shot from S&S was the only significant addition (It may be pre-owned, but I still love Blast Off ! ).

To me I would have thought a Technical Park Vortex would have been a fitting replacement for the Huss UFO. I don't see many people traveling miles to ride a Super Loop/ Ring of fire. A ride most carnivals carry on hand. Then again most wouldn't travel for a flat ride. I know I was a bit rash, but I think the management quit trying at Darien Lake. I admit they are adding something new, but the WHAT is just as important as the fact. They could try to sell a Tilt-A-Whirl off as a big improvement. I am afraid to say it, but yet another season of bypassing Darien Lake in search of fun.

I will say that this just goes to show you that no matter what the park installs, people will not be happy.

I for one think that both aditions will be very good for the park. The waterslides will be a very needed addition to the waterpark. DL really needs more to do in the waterpark and almost any addition on that side will be a good thing, and this one has the box launch system, which will be unique to the area. I just hope that they do it right and plan ahead so that next year they can add the speed slides off the same tower they are building this year.

On the super loop...yes it is a carnival staple, but it is almost a perfect replacement to the ranger. It doesnt do anything to replace ufo, but it is almost an exact replacement for ranger. Also, a good number of larger parks are adding these rides this year. With that DL is on the mark with some of the other park across the country, which is exactly what they did when they added hornets nest