TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

If Cedar Fair buys it up, I still foresee it going along the lines of Geauga Lake. You know Cedar Fair won't want direct competition for Canada's Wonderland.

Or Darien Lake could end up being Cedar Fair's next Dorney Park with the net few ride additions being used from other parks!

Or they could buy it and pawn off all of the good rides to other CF parks

Ride of Steel-MiA

Viper- Worlds of Fun or Dorney

Enterprise- King's Dominion

UFO-Dorney

Mind Eraser-??? Maybe Dorney or WoF?

Motocoaster- MiA

Blast Off-MiA

Thunder Rapids- maybe CW?

Corn Popper- KI or KD either one

Honestly is there anything else worth saving at this park?

Or they could buy it and pawn off all of the good rides to other CF parks

Ride of Steel-MiA

Viper- Worlds of Fun or Dorney

Enterprise- King's Dominion

UFO-Dorney

Mind Eraser-??? Maybe Dorney or WoF?

Motocoaster- MiA

Blast Off-MiA

Thunder Rapids- maybe CW?

Corn Popper- KI or KD either one

Honestly is there anything else worth saving at this park?

Maybe just the water park, they can expand it into the former "dry" park. That's if Cedar Fair buys Darien Lake and pulls a "Geauga Lake" on it!

You guys can blame me for all of this (please don't ban me!) It's all my fault, I was the one who made all of the wild speculations of stuff that would never happen at Darien Lake and I'm sorry for all of this crazy talk!

Nice to see that you understand. Consider this your last warning!

So I was thinking about this and wanted to get opinions...does anyine think CNL may have actually ended the relationship with HFE as opposed to HFE backing out? i ask this cuz at the begining of the year HFE came in with a number of guarantee promises and didn't deliver on all. I am pretty sure one talked about two train operation if the lines got long, and they never did deliver. In the end, they ended up giving away free return tickets, and hence costing money at the gates.

On similar lines, does anyone know the status of some of the second trains? Will premier have to buy ROS and ME brand new second trains? If they do, I sure hope ME gets the new restraints that are supposed to be more comfortable and have less headbanging.

^ I totally agree there were numerous time I could have used one of those "guarantees" but you have to jump though hoops to get to them, and whats the point? (lets not count the rain checks because that is obviously out of there control.) What does it look like to the customer? "Oh sorry your day was frustrating. Why don't you come back on us, but spend more money on food etc. and see if it's any better." A true guarantee is something that they stick by. If they say they guarantee short lines but don't do anything to reduce the time in line what is the point? They are relying on people to just suck it up and not take the time to go try and get an exit pass from GR. Just nip these problems in the bud so people never have to experience them at all. For a theme park of Darien Lake's size it is pathetic to see one train operations and rides constantly down. It is just stupid to give people the passes to come back if they're just going to go back and do it all over again. I've had a long fuse on all of Darien Lake's antics and have always been optimistic in their promise for improvement. But enough is enough.

I know almost nothing about Darien Lake, but to me changing the operator of the park from a respected company to a smaller company (led by executives who ran Six Flags into the ground) sounds like nothing more than a cost cutting move. I suspect CNL and Herschend couldn't agree on a viable long term plan for the park, so CNL took a lower bidder in Premier Parks.

The guarantees didn't solve any issues and only made them worse. There's no reason why RoS should have full switchbacks when the second train WAS ready to be put on. Same can be said for Viper and Predator. Those two coasters were always walk ons but sometimes had an hour long wait last season. The worst part is that the park lied and said that they were going to run two trains.

Then whenever a ride broke down or it started to rain, the line at GR would extend passed the bridge in the entry plaza for people waiting for rain checks. The one day I waited 30 minutes for an exit pass to the Viper and the worker never came back. I wasted my time and came out with nothing. The operations are horrible and not only that, now CNL doesn't even care. They just bought the park to make money. They weren't looking for anything long term from the start.

The guarantees didn't solve any issues and only made them worse. There's no reason why RoS should have full switchbacks when the second train WAS ready to be put on. Same can be said for Viper and Predator. Those two coasters were always walk ons but sometimes had an hour long wait last season. The worst part is that the park lied and said that they were going to run two trains.

Then whenever a ride broke down or it started to rain, the line at GR would extend passed the bridge in the entry plaza for people waiting for rain checks. The one day I waited 30 minutes for an exit pass to the Viper and the worker never came back. I wasted my time and came out with nothing. The operations are horrible and not only that, now CNL doesn't even care. They just bought the park to make money. They weren't looking for anything long term from the start.

Exactly! These were just DAILY issues that you just heard people on the midway talking about. How do they expect people to pay $50 a day to put up with this? HFE needs to have full control of the park or nothing will change. All day all you hear on the midway's is complaining, and they have every right to. Someone up at DL needs to get the clue that things need to change. They have taken a few steps in the right direction but customer service is a huge lack. Let me be clear, the employees are all very nice but there are other customer service problems that need to be fixed ASAP.

Didn't Barracuda Bay had some slides behind 'Cuda Falls that were removed in 1999?

Pipeline Plunge (the yellow enclosed raft slides with the "rainbow" insides), Riptide Run (the blue "wavy" raft slide), and ????? [the individual yellow sled ride which "skipped" across the water at the bottom] (Hydro Force was the OLD name when it was built over the lake, but I'm almost positive it later changed names when it was relocated to Barracuda Bay (though I can't seem to find any reference to a name change with a quick search)

EDIT: Hydro Force was renamed "Torpedo Rapids" when it moved. The Wikipedia / history page is incorrect in listing these as two different slides (also the drop is not 90 degrees )

I wonder what was the name of the slide where the individual yellow sled ride which "skipped" across the water at the bottom?

^ Could it mean that CNL is giving Herschend "squatter's rights" to Darien Lake?

It could possibly just mean that they havent gotten around to changing the website. How long into the off season last year was it that they finally took down the New for 2013 stuff, or the things that all focused on the previous summer that I am totally blanking out about right now... Awkward... but still, it could just be that they have yet to change it. thats what I figured

^exactly right. CNL isn't going to do anything for anyone but themselves at this point. The reason the website may not have changed can be two things. First maybe Premeir wants to change the site and are building one in the background and are keeping this one up until the new one is ready to go live. Second, that site may be contracted to HFE and DL doesnt have authority to make changes...once again calling for a new site to be built.

On a similar note, I really think DL has a great website, and hope it does not change. It is a very professional site, and really tells the DL story well.

In changing the topic a bit, does anyone know what happens with any future ideas for the park when they change ownership/management? I distinctly recall SF saying at one point that the had at least 4 coasters designed for the park already,it was just a matter of time and money. I am sure HFE had plans and drawinfgs for future attractions and things they wanted to add to the park over time. Do we think those things have been passed down to new ownership/management?

I do understand that each company invested money into those projects, but could sell them off to new owners for a fee. Its like buying a house and negotiating the appliances in. It would at least keep some synergy to the park and make it not look like three different companies with three differnt visions ran it, which is exactly where it looks like we will be in the coming years.