TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Because six flags totally would of sold it off it was as successful as you say.

Sure, they were doing okay with GL at the time but the chain overall was about to go into another one of its tailspins that it has gone thru every 5-10 years since the 1980s. This time they had bought way to parks. They were always going to lose the battle they attempted against CP, everyone knew that much. I'm sure they realized that as well and when the opportunity to get out of that situation came along I'm sure they didn't think twice. CF was buying assets....nothing more

Sorry to steer this thread so off topic....

So by removing attractions, it sent the park into a nose dive. They added NOTHING to the dry side. If you don't reinvest into a park, it's bound to fail. It's ok to remove an attraction or 2, but if you don't get "something " fresh, the park will become stale.
I believe removing the Animals may have been part of the overall problem.

While Im not 100% familiar with the history as i dont live in the market, from what I've been told, Sea World was always very successful. When Premier bought the place, though they decided to compete directly with CP (which lets be honest, CP is THE BEST amusement park) so it was an uphill batlle to convince the consumer that GL was better value and they should skip CP. The animals gave some differentiation but without them GL was just not as good. SF management failed at their analysis the park's competitive advantage and how to stay relevant in the market.

I figure if anything when CF bought GL they saw that they couldnt improve the park without canabalizing the same market they already owned. Now having KI in Southern ohio, it really didnt make sense to own a 3rd full fledged park.

Edited by Gnome

Looks like the Rio Grande Railway that I used to operate by RRE and BBB.

A part of me is really concerned about their goal to reach 650,000 for this year. I just don't have a lot of faith in that number for some reason. Not because of HW's Thunderbird; I don't see a two or three new flats, and T3 (anybody who knows KK knows T2) increasing attendance figures over 50,000. I really hope to see a return to seasonal events back (Halloween) and the like back to the park. Hopefully there's better weather, and press for the park than last year but I fear attendance won't really get there until the "whole" park is open aka TT.

I still need to buy my pass for the park. I will make sure I visit the park way more than the two times I made it last year....gotta do my part to help figures....

O.M.G.. I just figured out what that picture is. At first I thought that was rust on those tracks but it's obviously orange paint. That can only mean one thing...RMC is turning Rio Grande into Iron Large River, the first RMC kiddie train on PCP!

Seriously though, I think that picture is just them showing rides coming out of hibernation, just like the Enterprise cars.

O.M.G.. I just figured out what that picture is. At first I thought that was rust on those tracks but it's obviously orange paint. That can only mean one thing...RMC is turning Rio Grande into Iron Large River, the first RMC kiddie train on PCP!

Seriously though, I think that picture is just them showing rides coming out of hibernation, just like the Enterprise cars.

Did you mention it launches into the world's largest corkscrew? The restraints are recycled seatbelts from an early 1900's car.

Does anyone know what the Rio Grande Train was looking like towards the end of last season. It seems like if that's the same track that it gained too much rust from last year to that new picture. Also the ties were replaced last year but the new picture has ties on top of the new ones. Anyone know why there's two layers?

Kentucky Kingdom posted another tease on Facebook this morning:

10547424_942367372464102_4652425621619036685_n.jpg?oh=d0547d462730eb0167d53f338290f394&oe=557651B8

I feel like it is obvious that the Orange paint on the rails is supposed to hint towards RMC topper track as seen in the picture? I mean it seems logical

Not quite sure how rust is orange paint. If you've ever looked at any worn steel track after an off season, it'll be that bright orange rust color.

I'm gonna say, the Rio Grande Train is receiving an expansion, but other than that, you guys are reading into this WAY too much.

Kentucky Kingdom posted another tease on Facebook this morning:

10547424_942367372464102_4652425621619036685_n.jpg?oh=d0547d462730eb0167d53f338290f394&oe=557651B8

I feel like it is obvious that the Orange paint on the rails is supposed to hint towards RMC topper track as seen in the picture? I mean it seems logical

Not quite sure how rust is orange paint. If you've ever looked at any worn steel track after an off season, it'll be that bright orange rust color.

I'm gonna say, the Rio Grande Train is receiving an expansion, but other than that, you guys are reading into this WAY too much.

I love me some good ole' sarcasm.

Edited by mudvayneimn

Yeah, that would be a little thing we call "rust".

If they are moving the kiddie train to the kiddie area (from near Bluebeards), does that me the train site is going to be home to something else?

The kiddie Tea Cups also have an enormously large ride pad (old bumper cars size I think), so i wonder how long they will sit there before they are moved.

If they are moving the kiddie train to the kiddie area (from near Bluebeards), does that me the train site is going to be home to something else?

The kiddie Tea Cups also have an enormously large ride pad (old bumper cars size I think), so i wonder how long they will sit there before they are moved.

If you are talking about the Mad Hatter (Zamperla midi Tea Cup), it's a Permanent Mounted Model, like Lagoon's and Hershey Park's.

^^There really isn't anything I can think of other than 3-4 patio tables that could fit in the space the train takes up.....that might be a bit of an exaggeration but seriously, what other ride (that isn't a kiddie train) could make use of it? The teacups certainly wouldn't fit haha.

If you are talking about the Mad Hatter (Zamperla midi Tea Cup), it's a Permanent Mounted Model, like Lagoon's and Hershey Park's.

Yes. That one. Notice it in the overhead shot: the Mad Hatter (left side) seems to sit on a very large ride pad (the old Dodgems pad), and I've got to wonder if it may move again some time in the future as they begin filling the park back in. I think the train tracks are going where the car ride was, near the Breakdance on the right:

2089227294_ScreenShot2015-03-19at9_55_00PM.thumb.png.d04a639cd9ac7e29de42d80de1aa8aef.png