TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

I was actually surprised to learn she was still alive!

she actually went from film to serving the United States. . so the later half of her life tended to be out of the spotlight, even tho she was doing very impressive things:

she was a long-serving Ambassador (to both Ghana and Czechoslovakia). . appointed to positions by several Presidents.

from Wiki:

She was appointed Representative to the 24th United Nations General Assembly by President Richard M. Nixon (September – December 1969),[97][98] and was appointed United States Ambassador to Ghana (December 6, 1974 – July 13, 1976) by President Gerald R. Ford.[99] She was appointed first female Chief of Protocol of the United States (July 1, 1976 – January 21, 1977), and was in charge of arrangements for President Jimmy Carter's inauguration and inaugural ball.[99][100] She served as the United States Ambassador to Czechoslovakia (August 23, 1989 – July 12, 1992), having been appointed by President George H. W. Bush

Boy, they're dropping like flies this week. Rest in Peace, Sid Ceasar.

Many of you probably remember Ceasar as the coach in the movie version of Grease, but he was a pioneer of TV sketch comedy in the 1950s in the highly satirical Your Show of Shows, which boasted a writing crew including Mel Brooks and Woody Allen. He was also in It's a Mad Mad Mad World.

Boy, they're dropping like flies this week. Rest in Peace, Sid Ceasar.

Many of you probably remember Ceasar as the coach in the movie version of Grease, but he was a pioneer of TV sketch comedy in the 1950s in the highly satirical Your Show of Shows, which boasted a writing crew including Mel Brooks and Woody Allen. He was also in It's a Mad Mad Mad World.

I thought he was already dead, too. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is my second favorite movie.

I, too, am pretty sure I thought Shirley Temple had already died. I remember being traumatized by Bright Eyes when the mom was struck and killed on the way to bring a cake to Shirley. I guess my mom didn't remember that or didn't know I would take it so seriously. I haven't watched many of her other films, but my grandma was a big fan.

• 3 weeks later...

So sad to hear about David Brenner.

My partner and I were just watching old Johnny Carson episodes on DVD a few weeks ago where he was his doing stand-up routine. Guy was freaking hilarious!

I agree about the Seinfeld comparison.