TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I think its nice that they're taking a break from all that thrill ride action. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those justice league dark rides went in in 2016 or a skyscreamer, but Its nice that they're gonna have a nice relaxing off year, much in the style of Kings Dominion now. Although, sorry SFGAm, KD had the idea first!

I think its nice that they're taking a break from all that thrill ride action. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those justice league dark rides went in in 2016 or a skyscreamer, but Its nice that they're gonna have a nice relaxing off year, much in the style of Kings Dominion now. Although, sorry SFGAm, KD had the idea first!

I get what you're saying, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that Kings Dominion invented the off-year (with few small bonuses) in 2014.

Anybody else curious what will happen to te entrance? Just recently they replaced the victorian ticket buildings with really ugly knock offs. Hopefully theyll restore the old ticket booths or change some of the architecture and layouts of the gift shops, RR's, etc. Its anyones guess because its a large enough renovation that it warrants a press release, but it doesnt appear as big of a deal as an extended midway, main st, type deal. Nor are we seeing concept art of a contemporary entrance remodel, like with cedar fair parks recently.

Anybody else curious what will happen to te entrance? Just recently they replaced the victorian ticket buildings with really ugly knock offs. Hopefully theyll restore the old ticket booths or change some of the architecture and layouts of the gift shops, RR's, etc. Its anyones guess because its a large enough renovation that it warrants a press release, but it doesnt appear as big of a deal as an extended midway, main st, type deal. Nor are we seeing concept art of a contemporary entrance remodel, like with cedar fair parks recently.

Well, the press release wasn't just for the entrance, it was for the whole project. But here's what the webpage says: "Completely refresh the Carousel Plaza and Hometown Square sections of the park bringing back a nostalgic and classic feel to these signature territories" and "We’ll refresh these two popular and most-traveled areas with brighter colors, new paint, beautiful landscaping, and additional areas to rest and relax, as well as make updates to your favorite rides in the areas." So, I don't think they're really doing a whole remodel as much as they're going to paint and plant some more trees and put in some benches.

I don't see that happening. The entrance remodel was made to make the experience of getting into the park as smooth as possible. (Even though that biometrics-thing for the season passholders didn't work out very well...)

Them saving money at this park can only (hopefully) mean something big in 2016. Let's hope for an RMC retooling of the Anerican Eagle!

Please oh please oh please...

If they're celebrating a new ride every week, I can see them finishing out 2015 with American Eagle and urging riders to "get in their last rides."

With the removal of the ropes course, you have to assume "something" is going in there...right? Or is this something as simple as an outside vendor's contract running out (I don't know if this upcharge was a Six Flags owned operation or something an outside vendor was running).

Not sure about the vendor thing, but I don't see a new ride going in there. That's kind of a small-ish area to cram even a flat kiddie ride in.

The amount of awesome that would be them ordering up a new age Sky Whirl would be off the charts. I've oft times wondered what Intamin/whomever would do, with today's technology, if asked to build a triple wheel?

I never once liked the SkyWhirl as a kid. Those cage-buckets swayed in the sky and creaked too much for my liking. Scared the daylights out of me. But if a new company could recreate it and make it...I dunno....not so sway-y or creak-y, I might like it.

With all the announcements of other parks getting super loop rides, I was surprised SF Great America didn't get in on that. They could've "brought back" the Tidal Wave for the nostalgia kick. (But A--they just got Goliath, save money, and B--where would they put it? Not where it used to be, for sure.)

Am I seeing that right on their calendar that from Sept 8 through September 26, their closed?!!! What major amusement park is closed most of Septemeber? Why aren't the weekends at least open? It makes absolutely zero sense to me. I'm floored.

September is when kids go back to school, and they'd lose revenue if they were open during the off-season. But they bring in more business on weekends in October during Fright Fest.

A few things...

--Do they even operate the railway train anymore? I went three times this summer and twice last summer, and I did not see the railway train operate once.

--What's this I heard about possibly turning the Pictorium into a park museum of sorts? Has anyone else heard this rumor?

--Does anyone know if California's Great America is doing something for THEIR 40th this year?

I'm trying to go to the park this Sunday. I know it might be terribly crowded due to Labor Day, but that's the day I can go. I'm coming from Lemont and looking at trains/transit to get to the park. From what I gathered, I could take the red line and then get on the dark green line to Waukegan and then take a bus. Can anyone who's good with public transit in the area confirm that this is right? Also, what would you guys expect as far as wait times go this weekend?

^Don't really think they'll care.

Truth be told, I enjoy that they are refurbishing Carousel Plaza and doing some work/celebrating their 40th Anniversary. Two big coasters in three years is good for any park. Now is time for them to kind of lay back and continue riding the Goliath train (seriously, wait was up to three hours when I was there last Wednesday and never dipped below 2).

People on this forum crack me up! Complaining about not getting something new for next year. This park has received 2 state of the art coasters in the last 3 years! How many other theme Six Flags parks have received this much investment?

I've heard so many people angry with SFGAm and i'm just sitin here like "count your blessings! You are a very spoiled park, and now you're getting mad when they try to touch the family aspect of the park and work on enhancing areas of the park? Come on, give me a break."

I'm trying to go to the park this Sunday. I know it might be terribly crowded due to Labor Day, but that's the day I can go. I'm coming from Lemont and looking at trains/transit to get to the park. From what I gathered, I could take the red line and then get on the dark green line to Waukegan and then take a bus. Can anyone who's good with public transit in the area confirm that this is right? Also, what would you guys expect as far as wait times go this weekend?

I have actually taken public transit to Great America, and it is possible, though it takes a VERY long time. The route you're looking at is Heritage Corridor to UP-North on Metra to Pace 565, and that works on a weekday, but Heritage Corridor doesn't run on weekends. Google maps will tell you it does, but they're wrong. Metra's site, http://www.metrarail.com, is a much better resource for timetables. Amtrak does run 7 days a week on those tracks, but they only stop at Joliet and Summit.

Now, there is a glimmer of hope: On weekends Pace runs a bus from Schaumburg transit center and also Rosemont station (CTA blue) directly to Six Flags. However, there is no way to get to either of these places from Lemont on a Sunday by transit. So I hate to tell you this, but your only hope of making it to Six Flags on a Sunday is to find someone who can drive you to Schaumburg and pick you up there at the end of the day.

If they came out with an announcement saying they're restoring the water effects on X-Flight, that would be enough to get me excited. It doesn't have to be a massive, multi-million, record-breaking, number-one coaster every year.

I would love that. When I rode it last time, I was a bit sad when I realized that the mist and water effects were no longer operating. Hope to see them back sometime.

Yeah, agreed. The park has seen so much love the past few seasons. This will be a great season celebrating the nostalgia of the park. Something many parks should do I feel.