TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/special-events

7, 10, 15, 16 of this month for ERT plus the Citgo ERT possibilities. The YOLO phenomenon is not exclusive to here. Just google YOLO and Six Flags and see it pop up for other parks. I don't see it as a class thing. There are plenty of low income people who are not trashy. I equate the YOLO types with guests who look and act like they belong on 1998 Jerry Springer or Jenny Jones's "my teen is out of control". Boisterous, arrogant, and obnoxious. Key Lime Cove was full of em when I went there 5 years ago too. These are the type of people who will physically fight over cheap dollar store junk thrown out in the crowd during the Pride parade, even after someone else has already caught the 99 cent plastic necklace. There's just an arrogant sense of entitlement and "look at me" narcissism about them.

There's often a lot of equally annoying stereotypical upper middle class teens too. And I say that because I grew up around a ton of obnoxious upper and upper middle class teens and college kids who wear brands like North Face and Abercrombie as a cultural thing. It's done to establish that you're part of that culture, the clothes being one sort of gatekeeper to being accepted in those circles. Of the two groups, I would say the YOLO types are more antisocial and aggressive. They're probably the reason there's all these new line-jumping signs with phone numbers to call if you want to report someone.

WWE wrestling went to a PG show and all of a sudden the trash factor in the audience went down a lot. Not saying the product was better as a result, but getting rid of some lowest common denominator elements drove a lot of aggressive and obnoxious people away. If Great America started a marketing campaign saying they were going to go back to the more family friendly Marriott style that would drive off a lot of the trashy types because that type of environment doesn't appeal to them because they can't act out. They could build a Millennium Force clone and these miscreants wouldn't show up if they thought there were any standards for their behavior.

That's probably why Cedar Point is so different despite there being a good amount of sketchy looking people living near the park. It doesn't have a rep as some kinda free for all place where obnoxious people can act out. Didn't gangs drive Astroworld out of business? And I heard Great Adventure almost suffered a similar fate. The gun being found on someone at Great America really stained its rep with a lot of people. Forget what year that was.

Guess the most important thing they could do to reduce miscreant behavior is just run a tighter ship aside from their GSA security. I'm not sure why they let everyone tail gate in the lot. That costs the park a lot of money in missed sales and leaves a lot of extra garbage. They should just replace some of the Midway games with food places and build extra bathrooms while lowering the food prices. When I was at Cedar, I don't recall there being a ton of tailgating.

Great America has this no swimsuit dress code thing that they don't enforce but probably should. Six Flags should raise the standards for themselves and the guests. The flawed operations and other effects of their greed and lack of care probably contribute to people acting out more than they normally would.

^^My only experience with wing coasters was Gatekeeper, back when the vests were still miserable (literally one of the worst rides I've ever had), though now they're supposed to be better. I thought on the other wing coasters, the vests weren't as big a problem, but are the ones on X-Flight pretty bad?

^^My only experience with wing coasters was Gatekeeper, back when the vests were still miserable (literally one of the worst rides I've ever had), though now they're supposed to be better. I thought on the other wing coasters, the vests weren't as big a problem, but are the ones on X-Flight pretty bad?

I do not think they are that bad. I did not even notice the tightening effect the first several times I rode it until I saw others mentioning it online. Since then, I have noticed it some, but it does not ruin the ride for me in any way. Mild discomfort as the train reenters the station is all. I have a feeling it varies depending on body type. They do not start too tight, though; it happens during the ride.

I've rode X Flight & Wild Eagle. Wild Eagle didn't really bother me till we were in the brake run, X Flight is a super ride, but the right side on me, the vest were tight as hell, and a bit uncomfortable, but not uncomfortable enough to deter my enjoyment of the ride.

I've only been on Gatekeeper while they still tightened and I must say it didn't really bother me until we hit the brakes. I naturally knew they were getting tighter because I had already been told it. Having said that, while I didn't really find them unpleasant they do make the experience a bit less exiting as they nail you to your seat. I couldn't feel anything on the big hill even though I know it has some floater air.

I know no one really likes these posts, but I'll be at Great America on either the 18th or 19th this month. Just a few questions...

1) How bad will the lines be for the major coasters? Since some schools might be back in session, I'm guessing lines might not be as bad as I hear, but I'm not sure.

2) Goliath: Does it have a lot of downtime? What's the single rider line situation (I've heard stuff all over the place on that one)?

3) I plan on hitting Goliath and Superman first due to their lower capacity. In what order should I ride everything else?

4) Is Demon worth checking out? I usually like old Arrow loopers, but I hear that this one is a real headbanger.

Any input is appreciated.

Lines are unpredictable. Lately they've been insane, even on Mondays according to the newest Yelp reviews. If you haven't read the last few pages here, you should. Be prepared to see anywhere from 100-300 flash passers go ahead of you and significantly increase your wait time on the major rides(like 40%+ wait time increases). July was a big increase in attendance compared to May and June. You guys can read trip reports on here from previous years' Augusts. If you do buy a flash pass, just get the regular one. I never get to the park at opening so I can't tell you how things are then in terms of lines.

Personally, I would take Demon over Goliath and Superman Ultimate Pretzel any day. Goliath is like Maverick if it ended before the second launch, maybe not even that cool. And it'd probably be a better use of your time to drive to Cedar Point and ride that instead of waiting hours for a coaster that ends 29 or so seconds after reaching the top of the lift hill.

Demon can be a headbanger and a jawbreaker for a lot of people though. Just try to keep your neck loose on the loops and tilt your head some to the right on the corkscrews if you're not tall enough to bypass the restraints.

I know no one really likes these posts, but I'll be at Great America on either the 18th or 19th this month. Just a few questions...

1) How bad will the lines be for the major coasters? Since some schools might be back in session, I'm guessing lines might not be as bad as I hear, but I'm not sure.

2) Goliath: Does it have a lot of downtime? What's the single rider line situation (I've heard stuff all over the place on that one)?

3) I plan on hitting Goliath and Superman first due to their lower capacity. In what order should I ride everything else?

4) Is Demon worth checking out? I usually like old Arrow loopers, but I hear that this one is a real headbanger.

1) It will be busy. Many schools in the area will still be on summer break that week.

2 and 3: if you can, be there when the parking lot opens around 9:15, then when the gates open at 10 head left to get in line for Goliath first, which will open around 10:30. You should get on Goliath within about 15 minutes by doing this, avoiding lines over 2 hours shortly after the park opens. I have no experience with the single rider line so will let others chime in. If that line is operating, you probably would not have to show up quite so early, and maybe could even hit Superman first instead.

If you do ride Goliath first, Superman would be a good second ride, then Raging Bull 3rd I guess, though you will be skipping around the park. After that, I would just circle the park and hit other rides as you come to them. V2 has low capacity too, so you could hit that on the way back to Superman from Goliath as an alternative. Getting there early is a key to some more reasonable coaster lines early.

4) Demon is fun, if you have time. The tunnel and theming make it interesting. It has gotten rough, though.

Platinum Flash pass is worth it just got Goliath alone, we went for 6 hours onSunday and a full day onMonday and lines for all coasters were at least 45 mins, you'll get tons of dirty looks from people, but between those 2 days we got almost 70 rides in..American Eagle isn't on the flash pass but about 8pm the line died down to about 20 mins for each side.

The park could be decently crowded those days but it might not be too bad. If you are alone/don't mind not riding with the people you are with, there are single rider lines on Superman, Batman, and Goliath, and I'd highly recommend using all three. My plan of attack is always to head over to Raging Bull, X-Flight, and American Eagle in that order first off. You can slip in Viper before Raging Bull if you like but the line won't be bad later in the day if you want to just go back. You'll be able to hit all of these coasters in quick succession with little to no wait as most everyone goes straight to Goliath. Then if Goliath's line is unreasonable even with single rider (Single rider line only uses the overflow portion), just skip it and you can get in Batman and Superman with the single rider line all before lunch. Goliath's line will probably be a bit shorter after the morning rush, and all you'll have left is Whizzer, Vertical Velocity, Demon and Viper if you want to hit everything-the lines on those shouldn't be too bad if you catch them at the right time. Also, only one side of American Eagle will be open in the morning-if it's blue, make sure to go back and ride the red side later in the day.

In my opinion, all of the coasters are worth riding. I generally don't ride Vertical Velocity though since it can be a long wait and isn't exactly unique. Make sure to give Fiddler's Fling a ride as well-across from Goliath. Hope you have a great visit!!

The park could be decently crowded those days but it might not be too bad. If you are alone/don't mind not riding with the people you are with, there are single rider lines on Superman, Batman, and Goliath, and I'd highly recommend using all three.

So Batman and Superman have single rider lines too? I'm surprised I didn't hear about that already.

Thanks for all the info.

So Batman and Superman have single rider lines too? I'm surprised I didn't hear about that already.

Thanks for all the info.

They sure do! I've only used Superman's, but I saw the sign for Batman's as well-I think you just go up through the FastPass line for both. For Superman, just tell the FastPass people you are a single rider and they should send you up to the station where you wait for the grouper to put you in line somewhere. I imagine the Batman one is similar but not sure exactly how that works. The single rider line made Superman basically a walk-on. It sounds like they're using those lines as "tests", so they may add more if those go well (or if they don't, I guess they could take them away).

Has anyone take the Amtrak from St. Louis to Chicago or Glenview to visit SIx Flags Great America? I'm wanting to visit the park but I don't wanna drive. So i'm looking into taking the amtrak then using public transportation to the park. If you have please pm me. Thanks

Has anyone take the Amtrak from St. Louis to Chicago or Glenview to visit SIx Flags Great America? I'm wanting to visit the park but I don't wanna drive. So i'm looking into taking the amtrak then using public transportation to the park. If you have please pm me. Thanks

I think your best bet would be to take the Metra to Waukegan and then take the Pace Bus to SFGAm. I've never used the Pace Bus, so I can't speak from personal experience on that, but the Metra system is very nice.

I think your best bet would be to take the Metra to Waukegan and then take the Pace Bus to SFGAm. I've never used the Pace Bus, so I can't speak from personal experience on that, but the Metra system is very nice.

Thanks for the Info very helpful!!