TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Magnum’s new sign at Cedar Point!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^No, those planters had overgrown pine trees, basically blocking the line, and there wasn't a large sign marking what ride the entrance was even for. People were very easily confused by the ride's line and were often unable to actually find Magnum's entrance.

I'm excited for my trip to the Point in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to this new sign and getting back to my second favorite ride, Maverick. Oh how I want some awesome triangular Arrow hills in my life right about now, followed up with some crazy beyond-vertical airtime complimentary of Intamin.

Wow...do all of those queues ever fill up?

There is an insane amount of switchbacks (and concrete) in that area.

Don't get me wrong, the sign looks nice and all, but IMO, the line looked much better when hidden back behind more trees.

Am I the only one that thinks Magnum is one of the most over-rated rides in the world?

Seriously, I think the ride is terrible. I just never "got" what was so amazing about it.

Maybe it was amazing when it opened and there wasn't any other coaster over *gasp* 200 feet or that had bunny hills with little pops of airtime, but I just fine the ride to be fairly borning, uncomfortable and not much fun at all.

My last visit to Cedar Point in 2007 we were there two days. I gave it one "courtesy ride" and it reminded me why I don't find anything special about it. I honestly probably would not have ridden at all if I wasn't with someone who needed the credit.

Am I the only one?

--Robb

I really dig it, that is a really spiffy sign.

On the topic of whether or not Magnum is a "good" ride, I really disliked it the first time I went to Cedar Point in 1999. I found it to be really pretty painful and not at all up to the hype. It also didn't help that at the time it was the largest coaster, and easily one of the most popular, at the Point and the line on both days of my trip was massive.

Since then I've made a couple more trips - in 2001 and 2007 and each time Magnum has become a better and better ride in my mind. I dunno if a lot has to do with the line never being longer then 15-30 minutes for me during my trips, allowing more rides and a chance to better enjoy the ride all in all or what. But I find the more I ride Magnum the more and more I enjoy it.

Am I the only one that thinks Magnum is one of the most over-rated rides in the world?

Nope, I found the ride rather bland and quite painful when I rode it in the Summer of 2007 as well. I don't get what the big deal is.. Especially with a hyper coaster that is exponentially better right across the park in the form of Millennium Force. Even if you aren't a Force fan (And I'm no fanatic) you've gotta wonder why people still go crazy over Magnum...

Not at all. I too last visited in June of 07 and when in line for Magnum it went down, and we were talking to one of the operators, telling him that we were from California and that so far we found the park to be decent, and asked him about Magnum seeing how we were newbs to the ride. when he told us that it was "the best ride Arrow built" i said to myself, I can pull about 6 Arrows out of my @$$ that are lightyears beyond Magnum.

Wait, I've got it.

I also went in June, and if Robb did as well.. there is only one solution...

Magnum was sinking at a progressive rate in the month of June 2007. Therefore, we caught it in a bad month and must reserve our opinions on the ride until we go ride it when it is "running well" - or sinking less, as it were.

Problem solved.

Seriously, I think the ride is terrible. I just never "got" what was so amazing about it.

Maybe it was amazing when it opened and there wasn't any other coaster over *gasp* 200 feet or that had bunny hills with little pops of airtime, but I just fine the ride to be fairly borning, uncomfortable and not much fun at all.

My last visit to Cedar Point in 2007 we were there two days. I gave it one "courtesy ride" and it reminded me why I don't find anything special about it. I honestly probably would not have ridden at all if I wasn't with someone who needed the credit.

Am I the only one?

--Robb

Well, I don't think much of it today, I'll admit, but back in the day, I thought it was pretty impressive. Back when my late father, along with my mother, and sister, went to CP, we'd always hit the Magnum first, as tradition.

Of course, I know that there are bigger, and better coaster out there now, but I didn't know that back then. Neither did my family, or a lot of other folks who came to CP. The reason Magnum has been consistently popular for so many years has been a combination of marketing, along with the fact that it, and MF, are the only hyper coasters a lot of people will be exposed to.

We don't all get to constantly ride Expidition GeForce, you know. Not all of us are as fortunate as you, Robb.