TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Magnum’s new sign at Cedar Point!

We don't all get to constantly ride Expidition GeForce, you know. Not all of us are as fortunate as you, Robb.

Umm....

I rode Magnum for the first time in 1996. I probably hadn't been on any more than 50 to 60 coasters at that time.

I didn't "get it" then either.

--Robb "What does Expedition GeForce have to do with me not liking Magnum???" Alvey

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't all get to constantly ride Expidition GeForce, you know. Not all of us are as fortunate as you, Robb.

Umm....

I rode Magnum for the first time in 1996. I probably hadn't been on any more than 50 to 60 coasters at that time.

--Robb "What does Expedition GeForce have to do with me not liking Magnum???" Alvey

I was just trying to say that you've been on bigger and better coasters than magnum. GeForce was just a random example I threw in. I guess my Aspergers makes it tough for me to get my points across sometimes.

I didn't know about 1996, though. If you didn't get it, fine. People are gonna like what they want to like, and dislike as well.

Doug "By 96, you'd been on more coasters than I have in my entire life. " Booth

Am I the only one that thinks Magnum is one of the most over-rated rides in the world?

Seriously, I think the ride is terrible. I just never "got" what was so amazing about it.

I agree and it is very painful and not enjoyable at all in some seats. Although its not nearly as bad as Desperado, the fact that its in so many publicized top 10 lists this decade is an abomination.

Its good that it finally got a sign though, the first time I saw the line for it honestly had no idea what the line was for. Just a gigantic queue house in the middle of a random forest and you couldnt even see the ride from it. I like how the blogging guys stated it:

After 20 years, Magnum has received its much-anticipated entrance sign.

Not a new sign, it finally got a sign!

That looks real nice.

Magnum can be a pretty painful ride for tall people like me (I'm 6'3). When I rode Magnum a few years back, when I got off the ride I felt like I had bruised thighs due to the lap bar being so tight on my thighs throughout the ride.

I approve of this sign, I always had a difficult time finding where the entrance was. Hopefully this won't cause anymore confused guests. Because I remember my first CP visit back in 2003, I probably spent 5 minutes looking for the entrance.

As for the ride itself, the ride's fun and a little rough, but fun. Some people "get it", some people don't.

Am I the only one that thinks Magnum is one of the most over-rated rides in the world?

Seriously, I think the ride is terrible. I just never "got" what was so amazing about it.

I'm with you on this. The ride does nothing for me. It has some of the most penis-smashing seats I've ever encountered and the airtime is not all that. And the turnaround is one of the most horrible coat hanger bending elements I've ever seen.

I've given the ride several chances all over the train and have been thoroughly disappointed each and every time.

If anything, MF is over rated. That ride does nothing for me not even the drop. I hade more fun on Iron Dragon! Magnum is better in my honest Opinion. Steel Force was fun but Maggie owns!

*El Toro/Griffon/Maverick rain supreme. Top 3 coasters I've ridden!

Wow, what's with the Magnum hate?

Compared with all the park has, it's one of the better rides in my opinion. It has a short line and a great view, especially at dusk. The only hypers to surpass it, once again, in my opinion, are SFNE SROS/Bizzaro and B&M hypers like SFOG Goliath and Nitro. Maybe if Millennium Force's second hill was a bit shorter...

^I for one never said I hated the ride. I just think it's way overhyped. In all honesty, from a thrill standpoint Maverick and Dragster IMHO are the only noteworthy rides Cedar Point has to offer. I really don't get why Magnum, and Cedar Point keeps winning so many dan Golden Ticket awards. The park is great, but far from the best in the world.

I do think it is great that CP did something for Magnum. It really did need a sign. (before you had to take the Spaceman's word for it).

I really like magnum alot but there are things that irk me about it. For the most part it is a fast airtime filled ride with a great location and no MCBR to break up the action.

JEFF

I always think it's my fault. Every time I go back, I give it another try, thinking that all the previous times I just got bad rides on it or something.

I am a huge Millennium Force fan. But as much as I might want to say that Magnum just isn't my kind of ride, I actually really like Desperado! So figure that one out.

/Also thinks CP itself is pretty over-rated.

//Still, I'd rather be there than on my couch.

///New sign looks nice.

I don't know how it ranks up against some of the better coasters in the country or even world since I, unfortunately, haven't been on many coasters, but I like Magnum because it is rough and poorly designed. I like being beaten up a little on rides. In its final days, I'd still ride The Villain in the back seat several times in a row. I was even asked by one of the ride ops what the heck I was doing and how I could stand sitting back there for more than one ride. I don't know why, but I find being thrown around fun. It's a nice compliment to the immensely smooth coasters being built these days. I wouldn't say that it's one of the best rides in the world because I know many do not share this opinion with me, but I make sure to get several rides on it when I'm at the Point. And it's usually the ride I end my day with. I always park in the Soak City parking lot, so I will always marathon on it at the end of the day until they close the line. My best Cedar Point memory was riding Magnum about a dozen times in a row closing day 2006. The line was empty, trims were off, the air was frigid, I was shivering and tired, but my friend and I kept riding. The airtime was quite painful on the return run and I ended up with bruises on my thighs, but I didn't care, it was a blast.

Wait, I've got it.

I also went in June, and if Robb did as well.. there is only one solution...

Magnum was sinking at a progressive rate in the month of June 2007. Therefore, we caught it in a bad month and must reserve our opinions on the ride until we go ride it when it is "running well" - or sinking less, as it were.

Problem solved.

I rode in '07, too! Haha! I thought it wasn't as good as previous rides as well. I do love the location, and I can take a beating on a coaster...because I thought the ride was awesome! Long lift to the top, floater air over the first drop...and those airtime coat hangers on the way back weren't nice at all! But I loved them!

I hope I get back this season....

While Magnum has gotten quite rough, it has never been painful for me. I enjoy riding it (and most coasters). It was my first "big" coaster back in 1999.

Umm....

I think the point that Movieguy was trying to get across (even if it wasn't, this is another good point anyway) is that there are a lot of us who can't ride coasters and go to parks at will year round. Of course we are then going to have varied opinions. I know for me, there is only a 2-3 month window where I ride coasters and go to parks. Hell, I'll ride any coaster (and enjoy it) just because it's a coaster, knowing that in a couple months I will be going 9-10 months without riding anything.

^ Exactly. With my budget and vacation time each year, I can only dedicate about a week total to riding roller coasters, and they have to be within a reasonable driving time to Chicago.

With those limitations in mind, Magnum is near the top of a very short list....

I love magnum more for nostalgic reasons. My wife and I went to Cedar Point for the first time in 1995. We were 18 and 20 at the time and the only parks we had been to were our home parks of Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens and then to Kings Island and Carowinds because they were free with our KD passes. I had never heard of Cedar Point until we stopped at a rest area in Ohio and saw a brochure (didn't get internet until '96). On it we saw the biggest roller coaster that I had ever seen and not to mention Raptor was unlike anything we had ever seen at the time along with a beach and waterpark all on the same property. This place was a must visit. We were in awe at how big Magnum was when we drove under it to Hotel Breakers. We could not believe how fast it went going into the 3rd hill and how much airtime it had on the return run (keep in mind the biggest coaster we had been on at the time was Drachen Fire and Beast). We bought the only on ride photo we have ever bought in our lives on this ride. At the time we both had long hair and it was in the seat behind us along with her purse. Today the magnum isn't as great to me and since I've gotten older I like a smoother ride but I can't wait until my kids get older so they can ride the coaster that started our hobby. Now I'm at 379 coasters, my wife 321, 6yr old 95 coasters and my 3 yr old is at 32 coasters and many more to come this summer.

The very first time I rode Magnum, it was on the third seat of the front car-or the "magic seat" as people call it.

I didn't know it was the "magic seat" when I rode it...just picked it by accident. I was COMPLETELY unprepared for the out-of-your-seat airtime that followed.

My point: Magnum is brutally awesome. Ejector Airtime FTW!

^I for one never said I hated the ride. I just think it's way overhyped. In all honesty, from a thrill standpoint Maverick and Dragster IMHO are the only noteworthy rides Cedar Point has to offer. I really don't get why Magnum, and Cedar Point keeps winning so many dan Golden Ticket awards. The park is great, but far from the best in the world.

That is a bold statement. Maverick and Dragster are the only noteworthy rides? I can name plenty other rides that are noteworthy whether you like them or not. You are bashing a park just because it is not in your neck of the woods. I could say SFMM only has two noteworthy rides such as X2 and Tatsu. However, even though I am not the biggest fan of certain rides like Goliath, I would never say it isn't noteworthy because plenty of people love it.

List of noteworthy rides(IMO):

Raptor- One of the best inverts

MF- Many people have it ranked as their #1

Mantis- Gets beat up in the forums here but the general public loves it

Magnum- A classic coaster that has got a little rough like most 20 year old coasters. It still gets plenty of discussion time despite its old age.

Maverick and Dragster- With your expertise you agreed on these two!

And plenty of medium range coasters to enjoy in between waits for the big rides.

Multiple thrilling flats that I don't see in many parks that people mention as being so great.

It is funny just how much people love to bash CP. It gets annoying after a while. It is like people bashing USC football because they are always good. People are haters! USC will be in deep SH** for paying their players but that is besides the point!

Mantis- Gets beat up in the forums here but the general public loves it

Eh-hem...when I went to Cedar Point a few years ago (which is when I would consider myself a "GP")...me and my brother (whom is also GP) HATED that ride and would never go on that again...it hurt my lady parts and his man parts.

BTW-Can somebody post a picture of the sign up? The link is blocked from my work computer....thanks!

^Lol, I'd agree with you on that. Most of the time I ride Mantis, I end up in pain. This is the only coaster I have ever really felt any discomfort on. And it's obvious that most of the GP feels this way too (well from my experiences). Nothing like a moment of silence after "how was your ride!" to show how little the people riding enjoyed it. But there are times (mostly when the trims are off) that the ride can actually be quite enjoyable. It's weird, it really is a hit or miss thing for me. I think it all depends on how I'm feeling that day. If it's hot out and I'm exhausted from the day in the sun, I generally don't enjoy standing up while riding. But if it was a cooler day and there weren't many lines (lines make my feet hurt so much more than walking) then I generally really enjoy the ride. I had a mini marathon on it with my friend and her younger brother one year and it was amazing. The park was dead and the longest we had to wait was for Maverick which was a twenty minute wait. Everything else was a station wait or less. We rode something like 8 times in a row, bringing the total for the ride up to 10 that day as well as riding Dragster, Millennium Force, Magnum, and Raptor several times in a row each. I really enjoyed the ride that day. The next visit, however, was packed and I only got on 6 rides the entire day. Mantis was one of them and after standing in a two hour line in 95 degree heat, the last thing I really wanted to do was be put through the torture of standing up on the ride. I came off dizzy and quite uncomfortable. I had to sit down for about twenty minutes before I wanted to go ride the next ride.