TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Marching band, anyone?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

At one time we have marched 4 bass clarinets... i think we are down to one this year.

We are oipening the year at IU Band day and then hitting the Mid-States circuit. We are small right now buy we have high hopes of returning to our glory days.......

BTW no I am not in the band LOL!! I am a former member and current Booster President!

• 11 months later...

I'm really sorry to bump a year old thread, but I was about to make a thread like this and searched to make sure no one else did. I wasn't sure whether to bump this thread or make a new one.

Anyway, this year will be my third in marching band and last year was my first in indoor percussion (this year will be my second when it starts).

I played trombone for my first two years. The second year (my 8th grade year), we started competing after a long time of not doing so, since my 7th grade year a new band director got hired. We made Atlantic Coast Championships the year we started competing, for the first time in 15 years! I started doubling on baritone this year, as it's a much prettier sound and it's easier to march with than a trombone. (Trust me, it is) I'm really excited for this season, as the show is REALLY AWESOME! Our show was written in Sibelius and you can hear the mp3 file of the show here:

It's a few songs with "Blue" in the title/Blue versions of the song being played and mixed together. The opening four bars is a duet between trumpet and baritone (<--ME!!!!)

Anyway, I've been told I'm playing euphonium in concert band this year, and trombone in Jazz. At least there's a nice silver one to use....

Edited by Across_the_Universe

I play the marimba in the pit along with my two sister. And no I am not a slacker...I regularly play the piano, but my friend basically forced me to do marching band. Just going to combat any of those comments... At my school pit had (as still has to some extent) the reputation of being the slacker drumline dropouts. Which we are not; we have the hardest music in the band.

Our marching band is competitive. Here is last year's show. It music based on Dante's Divine Comedy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emngcsDdfwI&feature=related

I've been a hardcore band geek since I got into high school. That particular video are actually from my sophomore year since I can't find anything more recent. 2008 was a big shakeup as our band director got fired for reasons I won't go into, but we've been rebuilding and we're almost as large as we were back then (around 220 members, not counting the drill team). Band really is just an absolute blast, even if our new director can be a bit demanding and controlling at times (and our music selections aren't as great as they used to be, but they're improving as the new guy gets used to it )

Oh yeah, I play good old clarinet, if anyone was wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatRIBDXU3U

This one is a little more recent (2009). I just found it. Sorry about it not being the best quality.

Here is a video my marching band (The University of Alabama Million Dollar Band) playing our most well know stand tune, "Basketcase" by Green Day.

We have videos from most games we have performed at going back to 2005 on our website http://mdb.ua.edu/bandinfo/video.php

My favorite shows since I have been in the MDB (2006) are The musicals of the Wizard of Oz show (2006 vs Hawaii), 60's and 70's show in 2007 (the Bands of America show, which also included most of our country show that year), Queen in 2008 (W. Kentucky game), and our Motown/Jackson 5/Michael Jackson show in 2009 (Virginia Tech). (We do a pre game show and 3 half time shows each year)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Band Geeks like myself! I have been playing trombone since forth grade, continuing through middle school jazz and concert band, and now am a sophomore in the top jazz band and undefeated marching band. I also have picked up baritone and tuba during my high-school band experience. Here's a video of my marching band's show last year titled "Heartbeat", and we were undefeated all year!

Like Mastersax68 said, I have played trombone since I was also in fourth grade. I have been in Marching Band for two years now. I am in the same band as him and our school board is very corrupt. It was a lot of money this year and I don't even think it was worth it. I love band and everything, but it is so lame this year. We aren't able to travel to away games or to any shows and competitions. Our director really doesn't know what she is doing and our her helper is more of an orchestra director. I loved it last year so much, but I am just not feeling it anymore. The only reason I stuck with it is because a few of my best friends are in the band with me and I love to play my instrument... plus our show is Beatles

Just got back from our hosted invitational.

I laughed, like always. This year was pretty fun because the football field (being next to the elementary school) was an awesome combo. Miley Cyrus karaoke machines, plasma TV, stereo for crazy club music, mushy chairs...it was THE best kindergarten classroom EVER! I'm so glad I didn't have to show bands (or drumlines) around, despite being section leader! Yus!