TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Also, this makes me excited to see what the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be like, it too looks like this style of Vekoma, but I could be wrong.

Actually, after I saw the video of this coaster, I immediately thought of

this being (could be) like the MK's Dwarves Mine Coaster.... on steroids, LOL!

Also, this makes me excited to see what the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be like, it too looks like this style of Vekoma, but I could be wrong.

If you're expecting this to be similar to 7 Dwarves you will be miserably disappointed. 7 Dwarves looks very nice and the highlight of the Fantasyland Expansion, it is much tamer, with no launch, no backwards section and simply put an more kid-friendly layout.

The ride looks amazing! Dare I say that it's so good that BTMR at either DL or MK should be flattened to make way for this?

I honestly don't believe its so different/improved from BTMR that its worth flooring one of the largest, most immersive coasters on the planet.

Daytime ride looks great!

And I love the little geysers area

between the backwards and forwards

parts of the track layout.

But actually? I think the night-time ride

is going to be more fun, in comparison.

Anyway... great, great, woo hoo!

Edited by Nrthwnd

It would be much wiser (and much, much cheaper) to modify the existing Big Thunder Mountains to include the breaking lift, backwards section and launch.

Quite easy too, as there's more than enough space around all of them for a bit of extra track.

Edited by BDG

It would be much wiser (and much, much cheaper) to modify the existing Big Thunder Mountains to include the breaking lift, backwards section and launch.

Quite easy too, as there's more than enough space around all of them for a bit of extra track.

I could very well see them doing an overhaul like this with at least one of the BTRs considering they redid the Disneyland space mountain with track more like this.

Frankly, I like the current Big Thunder Mountain rides just the way they are, as do many other Disney guests--there's no need to change them so radically. But I like the idea of Disney having a "unique" ride like Runaway Mine Cars (which is really hybrid of Everest and Big Thunder) at HKD.

This ride looks amazing and I wish I could go there and ride this right now! or ever! I do have to say the portion of the ride before the launch looks pretty tame and boring, but overall it's simply awesome. Hate to compare to Everest, but the portions before the backwards part seem like an extended first part of Exerest, which is not at all exciting. The reverse part seems to be that in reverse. The bears are sorta odd to me. It's strange seeing... cartoony animals that arn't full on talking n stuff on a Disney ride. I'm not at all saying that's a negative I just think it's weird.

I find it funny that some of you think they could or would update BTMRR with this. Yes this has some more modern elements, but despite the similarities they are two different creatures. BTMRR has some intentional "jankyness" that this doesn't seem to have. They provide their thrills in different ways. I think the modernness and smoothness of the train (assuming its quite like Everest) detracts from the fun factor, but then the backwardness and launch adds it back in.

I know you cant really judge a ride till you ride it, but I don't think I would necessarily prefer this over any BTMRR or visa versa.

Hmm--I'm not an engineer, but I think you may be seriously underestimating how much reengineering, renovation, and layout changes the Big Thunder rides would need to accomodate these elements.

Just a thought.

Why flatten DL's when there's a Grizzly themed section of the park across the street dying for an E ticket?

Just sayin.

In all seriousness, I absolutely love how this turned out. It took all the elements of Big Thunder Mountian, added a little Expedition Everest and Rockin Roller Coaster (meaning the launch and since they are both Vekoma) and got this kick butt attraction.

^I'm with you there. Bring this thing closer to me! I think we need to revive Disney's America right about now so that all this cool new stuff going in these international parks can get built an hour down the road from me.

Though who knows, maybe we will see a variation come to DCA soon enough...There have always been rumors about Grizzly Peak being meant for the rapids as well as a roller coaster, but then there are more rumors that the structure was deemed insufficient. There are also the rumors of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail seeing its demise soon, with a possible E-Ticket replacement...I guess we'll see!

After watching the nighttime & daytime POVs, I was completely blown away by Big Grizzly Mtn. I really did not pay much attention to this attraction and just thought it would be like a grizzly-themed BTMR. But, wow! The "backwards lift" really caught me off guard in the POV as well as the launch. Also, I was surprised that it is only around 85' tall (CNN). Disney built a winner and this makes HKDL more "complete".

Hmm--I'm not an engineer, but I think you may be seriously underestimating how much reengineering, renovation, and layout changes the Big Thunder rides would need to accomodate these elements.
You make it sound as if I said it could be done overnight.

Surely you agree it would be far, far cheaper than a $100 million clone of the entire Big Grizzly ride? Remember, I replied to someone who said "bring this to DCA". Which wouldn't make sense imo, if you already have Big Thunder.