TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Expedition Everest Yeti Dead?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's only a matter of time before it's fixed up. This is what our yetis look like in Anaheim all the time so consider yourselves lucky.

I'd imagine it would be a massive effort to get into the show building and replace the parts. Most of the time when a show effect is not working properly for an extended period of time it's simply because it's so hard to access.

I hate how WDW runs attractions into the ground.

I love the place but, they don't know how to take care of thier toys.

I agree that they did have some problems in the past of letting effects and other elements break or fade out without much rehab, but in the recent years they've gotten a LOT better!

You should see what they've done with Haunted Mansion and KEPT it up since the rehab a couple of years ago.

I would say that the Yeti is an exception and also a victim of being in a park that doesn't have much to offer so it's not able to get the re-hab that it needs.

Personally if I were the out-of-town-once-in-a-lifetime visitor I'd take a broken Yeti over a closed Expedition Everest at least until the park has something else it can offer while it's closed.

But going back to your comment, the efforts they've made recently have been huge. Over our 4 days there last week everything was running in top form and very high capacity during one of the busiest times of the year.

And yes, I noticed a few very minor things not working: the girls in the bubble room of GMR don't spin anymore and the TV's in the Muppet 3D Pre-show area could really use a cleaning, but on the other hand everything on Primeval Whirl was back up and running, the Kuka fish in Nemo was back, there are new displays in The Land, etc, etc...

I notice a lot more things "fixed" and "updated" on each visit than I have in the past.

Overall I'd say that the attractions at WDW are getting a lot more attention than they were five years ago and that's a very good thing!

--Robb

I do not have much inside info, besides going to the control booth of E:E and speaking to the ride ops during a special event. They confirmed that it WILL be repaired eventually and plans are coming together.

Meanwhile, I think the issue is not the weight of the yeti itself, but the sheer force of it arm and body going back and forth hundreds to thousands of times per day. That is a LOT of weight getting thrown around.

While I could blame this on another lack of effort by Disney, I really think this might not have been able to be foreseen as easily as some other issues in the past.

When I was at Animal Kingdom on January 2nd, there seemed to be quite a few issues with Everest. For one, we got stalled at the first direction change for about 30 seconds, this happening to every train. There was also no steam effect in the station nor sounds in most areas of the ride. The only place with sound running was in the yeti projection direction change and the first direction change. Is there any chance they have taken the original yeti out recently, because from the glimpse i caught of it, it didn't look white and it was VERY small. It was my first time riding, but other people who had ridden before said that the yeti looked small-er. I for one had more fun watching the video posting in this thread than riding the ride it self. I found it to be quite lame actually. I think i can attribute that to...pretty much no effects working.

Is there any chance they have taken the original yeti out recently, because from the glimpse i caught of it, it didn't look white and it was VERY small. It was my first time riding, but other people who had ridden before said that the yeti looked small-er..

It was never white.

It has not been taken out.

Once again, for those of you just joining us now...all you need to know is the following:

- The yeti is broken, but he will be back.

- Bird on a stick is broken, but he too will be back.

It will just take some time because the ride does not have the luxury of going down for the length of time they need to fix both of these things. But the next time the ride does have a longer rehab, I'm sure you'll see both of these return.

--Robb

It has not been taken out.

Once again, for those of you just joining us now...all you need to know is the following:

- The yeti is broken, but he will be back.

- Bird on a stick is broken, but he too will be back.

It will just take some time because the ride does not have the luxury of going down for the length of time they need to fix both of these things. But the next time the ride does have a longer rehab, I'm sure you'll see both of these return.

--Robb

My lack luster experience on Expedition Everest happened the day I saw you at Magic Kingdom. This thread has talked about the yeti and the bird on a stick, but no one mentioned the lack of audio in many locations as well as the lack of steam in the station. I do not not know if those issues have been around for a while or if they are new, or even just a one day thing. The ride is not that old, but almost every thematic element of the ride seemed to be having some issue when i rode.

^You also rode on what was probably the most that ride has run in that last week all year! With extra magic hours, crazy crowds, extended normal hours the rides and staff are pushed to their limits that week!

The steam has been very hit or miss ever since the ride opened so you can't count that one either.

^^I rode EE today and the steam was working in the station and the audio was fine. The coaster itself was actually running extremely well, it was much more intense than I remembered it being. Obviously the bird on a stick was gone and so was the Yeti and the mist, but other than that they had four trains on the track and the ride was running without issue.