TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Jurassic Park IV Cancelled?!

AlexG8462

Most of you might have heard about the rumors of a fourth film in the Jurassic Park series! We'll upsetting news broke yesterday for many fans of Jurassic Park. One of the producers of the series, Frank Marshall, said that he isn't up for making another Jurassic Park film and feels that the franchise should be put to rest with Michael Crichton. (or maybe he's had enough dinosaurs) That's a fine reason, but that's like saying that there will be no more Batman movies or comics after Bob Kane's death in 1998. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51101

Then today it has been said that even though Frank Marshall isn't up for a fourth film, Universal still wants to make it. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jurassic-Park-4-Not-So-Dead-11181.html

So what's the future for this franchise, can it deal with one more film, or is the idea of another one extinct? I hope this film gets made because I love and cherish all three films! (even The Lost World and Jurassic Park III are important films to me)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they'll start the straight-to-dvd installations soon, like American Pie.

I can only hope this spells the end. In my opinion, if you can't make a sequel that is fresh and just about as good as the original, then don't make it. The Lost World was semi-legit since it was based off a sequel actually written by Crichton, but it still fell way short of the original. By the time the third came out, it was pretty obvious they were trying to take advantage of the name and milk it for as much extra cash as possible. A fourth would just complete the full bastardization of the original.

Good, I hope they don't make a Jurassic Park IV. The original Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies ever, but the "series" just steadily declined from there. I dislike both the sequels. The story lines don't really make sense, it's like they are just stretching out and filling time in order to cash in on the Jurassic Park name. Sequels should only be made if you have a legitimate story to tell.

I can only hope this spells the end. In my opinion, if you can't make a sequel that is fresh and just about as good as the original, then don't make it. The Lost World was semi-legit since it was based off a sequel actually written by Crichton, but it still fell way short of the original. By the time the third came out, it was pretty obvious they were trying to take advantage of the name and milk it for as much extra cash as possible. A fourth would just complete the full bastardization of the original.

That could be a possibility, but the problems with bringing a franchise like Jurassic Park to straight-to-dvd level is that the cast will be a bunch of no bodies or actors from TV shows because of the low budget. Another problem is that the dinosaurs won't as look as realistic as in the last three films. That's my opinion though, you don't have to agree with me!

I couldn't care less about a JP IV. I hated JPII, but actually really liked the third one. Go figure.

Same here. I think it's because the third one contained some major elements from the original novel that were left out of films I and II.

The original novel trumps all three movies combined.

We'll upsetting news broke yesterday for many fans of Jurassic Park.

I wouldn't call that upsetting news. I'd call it good news.

The two sequels were crap. I'm glad that they are giving up on beating a dead horse just to cash in on a bad movie selling well because of a major name.

I will admit that the two sequels weren't and never will be as good as the original, but if you take a look at a franchise like Jaws, the first Batman series, and Rocky, (before Rocky Balboa) this franchise is going down hill, but it hasn't "jumped off a building" as the three franchises above have. There are also some people out there that liked the sequels, like me.

Then again nothing is set in stone.

I will say this though. Anything is possible with the right script and right director. Take Batman for example. That character has had how many different movies, tv shows, cartoons, and comic books made about him, and yet we just realized what many consider to be the crowning jewel of that DC comic creation in the past year.

While all three movies were entertaining on varying levels, and it does seem to have jumped the shark, perhaps a good period of hibernation followed by an imaginative script *could* resurrect interest one day in the future.

The original novel trumps all three movies combined.

Absolutely.

And if you're a fan of Crichton, you really need to read "Timeline." It's my favorite of his. Another one where they bastardized it in the movie.

That book was amazing. Once I saw Paul Walker was cast in the movie, I knew it wouldn't be any good, and I still haven't seen it. It's a shame they didn't give that one a better chance to be good. I loved that book

That could be a possibility, but the problems with bringing a franchise like Jurassic Park to straight-to-dvd level is that the cast will be a bunch of no bodies or actors from TV shows because of the low budget. Another problem is that the dinosaurs won't as look as realistic as in the last three films. That's my opinion though, you don't have to agree with me!

No offense, but I was being sarcastic, hence the eye roll. I'm just jokingly waiting for them to do that since they seem hellbent on bastardizing the original as much as possible.

I will say this though. Anything is possible with the right script and right director. Take Batman for example. That character has had how many different movies, tv shows, cartoons, and comic books made about him, and yet we just realized what many consider to be the crowning jewel of that DC comic creation in the past year.

While all three movies were entertaining on varying levels, and it does seem to have jumped the shark, perhaps a good period of hibernation followed by an imaginative script *could* resurrect interest one day in the future.

I totally agree with anything's possible. My only thing about Jurassic Park is how many more different things can you come up with involving dinosaurs and humans? At least with Batman he has many villians that movies can be built around.

I kinda want them to make a new one, I never read the book so I can't say they bastardadized (sp?) the books with the sequels. But I know I like seeing people get ripped up by dinosaurs. And if they do make a new one they need to focus on how the dinosaurs die, and for good, because they need to close the story, they haven't really had a closure yet, and I think that to honor the first book they make a good story line and just close it.

I guess they couldn't come up with something less believable than raptors not shredding humans apart because one of them has a raptor egg. That ruined JPIII for me.

Don't forget when Dr. Grant learned how to talk to the Raptors. Or that giant dinosaur that smashed through a 50 foot security fence like it was tissue paper, but then was foiled by a deadbolt on a barn door. Or the satellite phone that can be heard from a mile away within the stomach of a dinosaur. Or the navy battle group which which showed up at the island overnight after receiving one obscure distress call.

At least the 2nd Jurassic Park movie included a few things from the book that was left out in the original.

At least the 2nd Jurassic Park movie included a few things from the book that was left out in the original.

That's what I thought when I was watching The Lost World. I've read both of the Jurassic Park books, and they were incredible. The first movie was excellent, and stayed very true to the book. The second... Where should I start? It was boring, had SO much that wasn't in the book (like the whole rampage through the city thing), but at least it had the opening scene straight out of the first book.

The third movie was actually pretty good to me, but still nothing compared to the original. Who cares about believability, was Star Wars believable? No. Was it good? Yes! JPIII was entertaining to me, but definitely not in my top 10.

So overall, I'm so-so about them not making a fourth movie. It could have ruined the series again like you guys are saying, but who knows, it could be another gem in my eyes like III.

I loved the first JP, thought the second one was "ok", but I really, REALLY liked the third one. That being said, seeing how Speilburg and co totally borked the Indy franchise I would totally be willing to sacrafice another JP movie coming out if the 4th one does for the series what Crystal Skull did for the Indy Franchise or what Star Wars 1, 2, 3 did for that series.

--Robb

I'm a fan of all 3 and I remember being excited years ago when Keira Knightly was rumored to be attached to #4. Too bad its been canceled; although I'm sure we'll see a 4th one sometime in the future. It's only a matter of time.