TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Like how?

Togo's tend to be very rough, painful, and uncomfortable rides (except the Ultra Twisters). Go on YouTube and watch Robb's video on Manhattan Express and you'll understand. Togo also manufactured Viper at SFGAd, which was also rough as well from what I hear. Overall, Togo rides just aren't the greatest.

You obviously never rode Ultra Twister at SFAW before.

Like how?

Togo's tend to be very rough, painful, and uncomfortable rides (except the Ultra Twisters). Go on YouTube and watch Robb's video on Manhattan Express and you'll understand. Togo also manufactured Viper at SFGAd, which was also rough as well from what I hear. Overall, Togo rides just aren't the greatest.

You obviously don't read very well.

Like how?

Yes Sir! I have before Astroworld closed as it broke my heart as it was the only kind in Texas!

A friend of mine who was a ride op for Fiesta Texas back in 92 on Gully Washer told me a few things about when it first opened. Has anyone ever heard this before? I barely remember going during opening year as I was only 7yrs old.

The park was also supposed to occupy where La Cantera mall currently is and have elevators up the cliff and also the current parking lot. The parking lot was supposed to be across I-10 where the RIM currently is.

Was the walking path different in Crackaxle canyon where it turns left by the train station?

Did Rattler really have problems with overheating wheel bearings on first test runs and get clocked at almost 90mph?

Didn't know that security used to ride horses around the park and the barn is the building Roadrunner express is in.

Supposedly, Superman was supposed to be built at Astroworld and then due to attendance problems, designs were changed and it was built at FT.

Not sure about the other things, but I don't think the 90 mph statistic is true.

Potential Energy = mgh, Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2.

To find max velocity of a 180 foot tall drop (estimated 180 feet) assuming that there is no friction or drag on the train (maximum possible),

2gh=v^2

(2*32.2 ft^2/s*180 ft)^0.5 = v; v=107.66 ft/second. *3600 seconds in an hour = 387,598 ft/hr. Divide that by a mile (5,280 feet), you're left with the maximum velocity an object falling from 180 feet could reach is 73.41 mph.

Unless they had magnetic launch fins on the first drop

Makes you wonder what the actual speed for the Iron Rattler is, given the first drop is 171 feet. The website lists it at 70 mph, but the max speed of a 171 foot drop frictionless would be 71.54 mph. And there's not really any initial velocity given the chain comes virtually to a stop.

I remember the opening year, I'll try and answer as best as I can recall:

The park was also supposed to occupy where La Cantera mall currently is and have elevators up the cliff and also the current parking lot. The parking lot was supposed to be across I-10 where the RIM currently is.

I maybe heard vague rumors to the effect of extending the park up above the cliff, but I think it was mainly because USAA owned the property and had not yet decided what to do with it. Never heard of them wanting to put the parking lot across the street (though see comments at the end)

Was the walking path different in Crackaxle canyon where it turns left by the train station?

Yes, something is different about that area now.

Did Rattler really have problems with overheating wheel bearings on first test runs and get clocked at almost 90mph?

LOL, I think you know the answer to that. I don't remember seeing the Rattler testing all that much, the winter of 91-92 was extremely wet and I think construction was running behind because of it. I do remember seeing them build the original Rattler and was quite disappointed when I first saw it, all that was visible for the longest time was the second drop and the helix. I remember thinking what a lame first drop that was going to make.

Didn't know that security used to ride horses around the park and the barn is the building Roadrunner express is in.

I don't ever recall horses in the park but could be wrong. But the current structure for Roadrunner was built when the coaster went in and not earlier.

Supposedly, Superman was supposed to be built at Astroworld and then due to attendance problems, designs were changed and it was built at FT.

Almost surely not, I do recall though that SFFT was supposed to get what wound up being SFOT's hyper coaster in '99 and instead got the Poltergeist/Boomerang/Scream etc package. I don't know if Sea World's decision to build Steel Eel had any impact on that or not. The rumor as reported by Screamscape about Astroworld at that time was that they were going to get the world's first wooden coaster with an inversion for their 30th anniversary but got Taz's TX Twister instead (never cared for it).

How on earth SFFT got SKC I don't know but Six Flags in general was spending money on rides like drunken sailors after Premier acquired the chain.

Some other things I do recall from the 90s:

There is very little out there on the '93 Rattler. The park tried widening the bottom of the first drop by starting the drop earlier but it still went down to the bottom of the quarry. They also installed headrests on the trains and I believe modified the restraints but apparently it wasn't enough. The first drop was still pretty good but not insanely great like the original drop, which I still consider the best I've ever experienced, especially in the back.

Another rumor was that FT was supposed to get Opryland's SLC but Opryland's separation from the park and the surprise Sea World made in '95 to build an inverted coaster put a stop to that and they eventually wound up with the disappointing Joker for '96. Apparently SF was majorly pissed about the Great White, which effectively locked them out of a Batman clone in TX for a couple of years. Time Warner had evidently been withholding the "good rides" from SFOT in particular in an effort to stiff-arm the owners of the park to sell. I believe this was brought to light in a lawsuit brought by SFOT and SFOG against TW.

The Express-News did run an article about Six Flags exploring the possibility of a second movie-based theme park across from SFFT where the Rim is currently located. Years before I believe the paper also suggested Sea World was considering building a Baseball and Boardwalk type park on their property which I think pretty much fizzled when Fiesta Texas was announced. If you had the patience you should be able to find the articles on microfilm somewhere.

The craziest rumor I had heard back in the early 90s was that Six Flags was planning to move Astroworld to another location in the Houston area.

Interesting info and history. Thanks.

Never knew there was anything different between the '92 and '93 Rattler.

Is the brown building between Roadrunner and IRat entrance used for IR maintenance? It's got doors on it as if it would've previously been a barn.

What happened to Coyote on the Roadrunner express? His statue has been gone for a few seasons as well as the rock after the 2nd lift and the Coyote on the ACME rocket. Or am I the only one that's noticed he disappeared?

What happened to Coyote on the Roadrunner express? His statue has been gone for a few seasons as well as the rock after the 2nd lift and the Coyote on the ACME rocket. Or am I the only one that's noticed he disappeared?

I've been wondering the same thing. And in the barrel by the finish, there used to be sound effects coming from the barrel.

What happened?

^ Six Flags is what happen. We all know its very rare for a Six Flags to keep up with theming. They used to also have more theming in the queue line before they closed off the inside part. It's just what Six Flags does.

^ Six Flags is what happen. We all know its very rare for a Six Flags to keep up with theming. They used to also have more theming in the queue line before they closed off the inside part. It's just what Six Flags does.

Just like with Six Flags New England's Bizarro. It had audio and fire effects, but now neither are used.

I am kind of shocked that they would remove a simple figure though since Six Flags New England has been pretty good with that over the years.

Interesting info and history. Thanks.

Never knew there was anything different between the '92 and '93 Rattler.

Is the brown building between Roadrunner and IRat entrance used for IR maintenance? It's got doors on it as if it would've previously been a barn.

The brown building between iRat and Roadrunner Express used to be horse stables back in the day. After 1996 or 1997 they got rid of the horses and was used as storage space.

I specified otherwise in my previous contention...

Togo's tend to be very rough, painful, and uncomfortable rides (except the Ultra Twisters).

I understood your post.

SFAW used to be my home park and never recalled Ultra Twister as smooth. I guess we both have different perceptions. My bad.

I bet you'all have seen this. but this might be a hint for 2014 or 2015. I remember earlier we all were talking about a new ride, we were questioning if we had enough room for a roller coaster, and Jamie said that there was plenty of room. So what i'm saying is, this is a BIG possibility.

I bet you'all have seen this. but this might be a hint for 2014 or 2015. I remember earlier we all were talking about a new ride, we were questioning if we had enough room for a roller coaster, and Jamie said that there was plenty of room. So what i'm saying is, this is a BIG possibility.

Yeah, I think this was discussed many pages back. However, I for one would love to see a GCI in that empty spot. I think it would fit in with the boardwalk area nicely.

Hello my TPR fiends!

We are looking for zombies, creatures, freaks, and goblins! If you live in this area and would love to be a part of the Biggest Fright Fest Ever, I encourage you to audition!! Link below for details! If you're like me and love Halloween I hope you consider auditioning!

Audition Page!

Jamie

So rumor says NTAG will be closed the remainder of the season. I wonder if it will be the same for IRAT?

Well they will do a LOT of testing on both rides before they open. But even when the investigation is complete, six flags wont tell anyone but the family of the victim how it happened. Leaving us to try and guess when it will be open.