TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Just get to the park when they open.

Head to Goliath 1st.

Oh and skip the parade, It's weak

NEVER. I REPEAT NEVER, HEAD TO GOLIATH FIRST. It is a mad rush of people pushing their way up the hill. You will get seriously injured. Not to mention, if you are in the middle of the pack, by the time your in line, you'll be waiting about 30-40 mins. And Six Flags New England doesn't have a parade.

But I do agree about being there for opening. You can ride Bizarro twice, without waiting more than 20 mins for your second ride.

Sounds like X2 at SFMM. But if it's the most popular ride, why not run to it?

^It's like not running to Skyrush first at Hersheypark - you can literally do the entire rest of the park in 2-3 hours while everyone is up there. I'm going to SFNE later this year I think, and I fully plan to go straight to Bizarro, do everything else, and then hit Goliath. Might as well take advantage of the crowd rush and avoid it!

I was just at Six Flags New England today and when I went to the water park, they didn't open Torando or Swiss Family Toboggan today, I'm not sure what else wasn't open over there, but I was just asking if that happends often, becuase it seemed strange to me!

P.S. I rode Goliath for the first time today and it was AWESOME! I went in the single-riders line, because none of my friends wanted to ride because of the line! It was like 2hrs. today!

They won't use all of the slides on a weekday until late June. A large amount of their lifeguards are in highschool. I know about 10 of the lifeguards at SFNE. They are all in school still.

I wouldn't run to Goliath in the morning because it's a mad rush, and it's not even one of the best rides in the park. Bizarro, Batman, Scream, and in my opinion Cyclone, are all better. There's a good chance that the ride will take a little while to open too, and then with the fact of it being a boomerang it has horrible capacity. I would get in line when everyone is eating dinner, that would probably result in the shortest wait, being somewhere around 30 mins.

Although Goliath takes crowds away from Bizarro, when it's the summer, Bizarro will reach an 1hr+ waits consistently throughout the day. I would go to that first.

They won't use all of the slides on a weekday until late June. A large amount of their lifeguards are in highschool. I know about 10 of the lifeguards at SFNE. They are all in school still.

Isn't there some kind of age limit for life guards? I'm not sure I want some teenager "looking out" for my safety at a waterpark. I don't know if they would make the wisest decisions in an emergency with very little life experience....

^^I find cyclone to be very underrated. I would choose it over goliath in a heartbeat. The topper track really helps too. The roughest part of the ride is now the most gracefull. If they just stopped triming the end so much then I would rate it alot higher.

I been in furious debate on which weekend to visit six flags. Because I have of few international family members visiting me and my own school work, I have a window of July 1st or July 8th.. I wanted to know which weekend I show visit the park? July 4th is smack in the middle of the week which makes in even harder for me to figure out which Sunday will have slightly less crowds.

^^I find cyclone to be very underrated. I would choose it over goliath in a heartbeat. The topper track really helps too. The roughest part of the ride is now the most gracefull. If they just stopped triming the end so much then I would rate it alot higher.

I went to visiting SFNE earlier this year and I have too agree. I found this ride comparable to the canobie lake's yankee cannon ball and Hershey's comet.

^That's interesting, since those are two coasters I rank very differently. I thought Yankee Cannonball was a semi-underrated airtime machine, but I thought Comet was no more than a tame nostalgia trip.

As for Cyclone, I enjoyed it and put it somewhere between those two. It had a few strong, surprising pops of airtime, but overall it felt a bit slow, and the airtime was lacking overall. It actually reminded me a bit of Viper at SFGAm (even though it doesn't share Viper's Cy-Clone layout).

It really is a shame that SFNE's Cyclone has Changed so much from when it was Riverside. Between the first drop change and seeming lack of maintenance it is a much worse ride

Completely agree, loved the "Riverside Cyclone". At least it still has a killer first drop in the last car. I'll be there tomorrow morning to give it a ride again.

Edited by larrygator

Ditto to the last few comments. I haven't been to the park in a few years (despite it being only 1.5 hours away -- the problems of not owning a car in this hobby and working weekends in a restaurant!) But on my last visits, the Cyclone was a shade of its former self.

This was a good example of "be careful what you wish for." The replaced the horrible Morgan trains with heavier PTC trains. While they rode great the first year, they also tore apart the track. Since Six Flags doesn't like to spend money on maintenance, that means they've put trim brakes all over the ride, which particularly kills what once was a great finale!

And the reprofile of the first drop and turnaround combo severely cut into what was once one of the best opening sequences on any coaster anywhere. The worst part is that the original track is still there!

Surprised to see such love for a wooden coaster which is just "above average" in a park which has the awesome thunderbolt!

I also think the topper track made it much faster for the rest of thr ride. Theres this one hill near the end where transition right at the top and get airtime and lats going from one side of the seat to the other and kts pretty insane. Again, this would be great if hey stopped the trims.

Theres this one hill near the end where transition right at the top and get airtime and lats going from one side of the seat to the other and kts pretty insane.

Really? On Cyclone? They must have removed that part of the ride when I rode on Thursday.

I still love the violent ejector air on the first drop, but I seriously thought we would need a crane to pull the train back into the station as we were moving so slow.

Edited by larrygator

Lifeguards have to be at least 15 years old, and certified. SFNE had them take 3 12-Hour classes too, along with their actual waterpark training. A lot of the younger life guards work at the lazy river, where the water is only a few feet deep, and there are lifeguards every 50ft from eachother. Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I don't know lifeguards who are older. Most of the kids in my grade are 15, and I know lifeguards who are 15,17,18, and 20.

Surprised to see such love for a wooden coaster which is just "above average" in a park which has the awesome thunderbolt!

I LOOOOOOVE Thunderbolt! The ride is pure fun! I also love how the cars flex, though when I pointed it out to the bf, he freaked out.

I LOOOOOOVE Thunderbolt! The ride is pure fun! I also love how the cars flex, though when I pointed it out to the bf, he freaked out.

I totally agree. Anyone else love the sound when it reaches the top of it's lift hill? It sounds like a crackling noise. When I was there yesterday, they weren't using Thunderbolt's trims on the last bunny hop, and there was insane airtime. I came 4-5inches out of my seat. I've never gone that far up on Thunderbolt!

Y'know, after the Rattler gets its all-but-confirmed Rocky Mountain treatment, I'd love to see the same done for the Cyclone. The small footprint leaves less room for monkeying around with the layout, so with any luck we could basically have it returned to its original layout, only with a few tweaks to make it even crazier. I'd totally be down with this. Used to be a world-class ride like the Texas Giant, and there's no reason why it can't be reborn like that.

Thunderbolt is such a cute classic ride, and the flexing is really pronounced. I didn't think it was too great the first time I rode it, but when I returned later I felt a number of surprising pops of air. I'm guessing it just takes time to warm up?

By the way, I had no idea Thunderbolt was originally built for the 1939 World's Fair in Queens, and was named Cyclone. Ah, the joys of perusing RCDB...

I was at SFNE Friday night for the first time. The longest wait was about 20 minutes. I was really disappointed by Bizarro. It seemed to run very slow and I didn't really get much airtime. This could have been caused by the front car of our train being closed. I also noticed a nasty rattle. I really wish I could have ridden it again on the other train but I didn't have time.

Count me as another Thunderbolt lover. Exceptionally smooth for a ride of its age, and there are huge pops of bouncy ejector air on just about every hill. It's actually #2 on my wood list (though I've only ridden eight). I like Cyclone as well, it's definitely slow for most of the layout, but the massive air on the first drop is some of the best anywhere. There are a few surprising pops in other spots as well.