TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I'm hoping the coaster drought will be over, but I don't want to get too excited. I don't want to get so hyped up thinking it will be a huge addition, then it comes to be just the flats. I mean weren't they already practically confirmed? I think all I can do at the moment is hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. I really don't know what to think!

^It would be a real war if SFSTL adds a new coaster that isn't cloned. But the odds of that are low.

Only coaster enthusiasts would care if it's a clone. The local and regional market probably wouldn't even know or care.

IF this is a coaster, and not just the flats that have been announced 2017 may be the year I take a Mid-America trip and finally hit up Valleyfair, Adventureland, WoF, SDC and SFStl.

With what appears to be the beginning of a big coaster project at Kings Island and Kings Dominion's Hurler getting redone, it would seem unlikely that a coaster would be in the works. It would be great if there is though!

With what appears to be the beginning of a big coaster project at Kings Island and Kings Dominion's Hurler getting redone, it would seem unlikely that a coaster would be in the works. It would be great if there is though!

Hurler is in house, and KI's most likely won't be more than $30 million. I don't think they would ever add a coaster more than $15 million at WoF (or VF, DP, and MiA, for that matter) so there will most likely be more than enough for a medium-sized coaster.

Cedar Fair placed a similar banner where Valravn is being constructed. Thier list was coaster lineage though. WOF lists all Cedar Fair editions since thier injections into the park. Apples and Oranges in content with like formats. For the price point two flats, dark ride, and medium family coaster is not out of the question. The public is still sore about Zingers removal after all these years. I for one would love to see this void filled with something larger and longer than Spinning Dragons. I'm not dissing the ride because I love riding the coaster. The que line is usually long though. Enough hot air for now. Thoughts anyone?

What makes this early season teaser different then KI's early season teaser?

Exactly. A $8-10M coaster is not out of the question for WOF.

I'm wondering if those flat rides won't appear later on this year. I just have a hard time believing they'd start a teaser campaign in April for just 2 used flat rides.

I'll agree with that. Unless we see a bunch of other Cedar Fair teasers popping up all over in the next month (aka whole chain teasing early in the season) I'd say there is a decent chance of a good sized investment.

I'm looking at taking a trip to SDC next year and either WoF or SFStL. Rumors suggest that all three are getting something big. What they get will be a big factor in that decision. The trip also depends on baseball schedules and the St. Louis City Museum.

The difference would be that this would be 3 coaster projects in one year, something we haven't seen of late from CF. KI has begun tree clearing and has survey markers across a very large area. KI's project is a coaster and from all appearances a large one. Hurler, in house or not, is still a coaster project. As I said before I hope it is a coaster (and I agree that early teasing is usually a sign of a bigger investment) but it would be a deviation from the capital investment strategy we've seen the past few years.

I remember reading somewhere that CF was going to start heavily investing in the small parks, and their first park was Carowinds. I wonder if Worlds of Fun is the next park to get a large investment. That would only be the case if what I read was true.

The difference would be that this would be 3 coaster projects in one year, something we haven't seen of late from CF. KI has begun tree clearing and has survey markers across a very large area. KI's project is a coaster and from all appearances a large one. Hurler, in house or not, is still a coaster project. As I said before I hope it is a coaster (and I agree that early teasing is usually a sign of a bigger investment) but it would be a deviation from the capital investment strategy we've seen the past few years.

Again, several $8-10M coasters in one season won't break the bank.

2013 saw Gatekeeper, a $30 million investment, Gold Striker, probably a $10 million investment, and Coast Rider at Knott's, and not to mention GCI refurbishments on Shivering Timber, Timber Wolf, and Hurler at Carowinds. There's no reason why 2017 can't have three coaster projects if they average around $15-20 million each. Cedar Fair generally spends well over $100 in expenditures per year throughout their parks, and there's nothing to say that on certain years the bulk of that will be spent on water parks, or coasters, or family attractions, or thrill rides, or in any combination. Maybe 2017 will focus on coasters. Hell, if they wanted to, Cedar Fair can open 11 new coasters in 2017 (1 for each park), each about $10 million, and still be at budget.

2013 saw Gatekeeper, a $30 million investment, Gold Striker, probably a $10 million investment, and Coast Rider at Knott's, and not to mention GCI refurbishments on Shivering Timber, Timber Wolf, and Hurler at Carowinds. There's no reason why 2017 can't have three coaster projects if they average around $15-20 million each. Cedar Fair generally spends well over $100 in expenditures per year throughout their parks, and there's nothing to say that on certain years the bulk of that will be spent on water parks, or coasters, or family attractions, or thrill rides, or in any combination. Maybe 2017 will focus on coasters. Hell, if they wanted to, Cedar Fair can open 11 new coasters in 2017 (1 for each park), each about $10 million, and still be at budget.

Not to mention if they buy that many in one year, they would probably get a bulk discount

Not to mention if they buy that many in one year, they would probably get a bulk discount

I actually think it could just be s drop tower

I actually think it could just be s drop tower

They have detonator though, and that's an exemplary drop tower! I wouldn't be surprised if this is just for the two new flats.

So you people honestly think they would start putting up flags up in April for two new flats for next year? Laughable... If so, wouldn't Carowinds already be way further along than us? They are supposedly building 5 rides +even more stuff.

See, that's the other part that confuses me even though it could be the flats. The thing is, what else could go where the flags are?

So you people honestly think they would start putting up flags up in April for two new flats for next year? Laughable... If so, wouldn't Carowinds already be way further along than us? They are supposedly building 5 rides +even more stuff.

See, that's the other part that confuses me even though it could be the flats. The thing is, what else could go where the flags are?

A Premier Sky Rocket II could if they took out the games barn, kiddy bumper car building, and the dog show theater.