TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^Not quite. During the day, they still have Planet Snoopy open, barn animals, and the other stuff they used to. Now dinotrail is added to the mix. At night though, lets just say that I came to a sudden realization last night that Monster and Scrambler are the only operational ride you can bring younger kids on....

And Maniac, DO IT! Self-promotion aside, Kings Island is a great family park with some gems here and there. I havent been to too many Haunts outside of CP/KI so far, but theres a few decent ones atleast (Tombstone Terrortory and Club Blood are my favorites right now) Just remember to come on a Sunday to avoid crowds, or Friday if you want Haunts...

-That one guy who works at KI for some reason

^What you said about going on a Sunday to avoid crowds, you were absolutely right. Yesterday morning had some light crowds, but it got super packed as it got dark. (Posted TR about it. Includes very little about haunt and more about the rides.)

Out of curiosity, did anyone manage to get pictures of the grave yard to support the discussion a few pages back about SoB?

These aren't mine, but I found them with Google.

1461981004_DSC016751.thumb.jpg.acb7dbf5f1e287afd98b1bfa7b540eeb.jpg

My MS Paint skills

94224814_img3164r1.jpg.4968f3cc7446c31f97a051b2c5ceba8a.jpg

The grave last year

I think that SoB is getting a revival... whether we like it or not.

I've ridden it. I know. My back hurt for a week afterwards. I was 10.

Have any of you taken a peek at the map being used for Haunt? It's a "revised" version of the 2011 map and there have been a few cosmetic changes including adding trees to the map and giving Invertigo it's missing loop. It actually looks quite a bit better than the one from the beginning of the season, and I'd assume these changes will carry over onto the 2012 map.

With that aside, I have a few other random statements about my visit today:

Although none of the mazes were open with it being Sunday, the park was nearly completely empty (with the sole exception of Planet Snoopy, which was completely packed), which was certainly a plus. Beast was actually running quite a bit better than I remember it running last year, but boy, those trims do bite! No matter- I still think I may have to move the ride up a spot or two this year. Diamondback also redeemed itself after my lackluster ride earlier in the season. Where you sit really makes a difference.

I was at the park yesterday. It was really nice out, which would explain the huge crowds.

^The Beast was giving some great night rides (especially with the surprise effect along the track). As for the magnetic trims...It's one thing to have them on the MCBR, but killing the speed on the helix approach is just cruel.

I feel Diamondback doesnt really matter where you sit so much as how much room you get. I try to avoid getting stapled on that thing AT ALL COSTS because it makes worlds of difference with the amount of airtime you get. Of course, I always take my pattend pending "cowboy style" whenever I ride (1 hand holding up the lapbar the entire ride and the other in the air). Those restraints fall FAST if your too reckless....

From my flatrides in Coney Mall today, the park fluxuated a bit. Started off suprisingly crowded (12 cycles on Scrambler first hour where I usually get about 7), and then went up and down in terms of capacity over the day. Also, we filled out our ride placement sheets for next year, so with any luck I'll be on Vortex or Racer crew next summer

As for the SoB coffin, just noticed theres more chains this year, and that the coffin itself is more "torn up". Interesting....

-That guy who works in Coney Mall now

^PS: If it was a night ride, Beast and Diamondback are LAYERED in fog. Epic

^ What's the surprise effect?

It wouldn't be a surprise if we shared, would it?

I only kid, it was a "bonus prop" of sorts that I honestly forgot about until adamico2 reminded me of it back a few posts, but it was still nice that they put something out there.

I just realized something- on the SoB coffin, I see the words "if" and "do", and on the Big Dipper coffin, I see the word "bad." Might this have any relevance to anything?

I'm not too certain about what the words could mean but notice the tombstone has changed as well, from "My Beloved Son" to this year "My Beloved Son 2000- "

^On the site that I found this on, they thought it said 2000-2013. I can make out 2000-20. I think that this actually means that SoB as we know it may not exist as of the end of next year, and that a "new" SoB may be on it's way. Maybe an Intamin, with any luck. It also says "unloved son" this year, not "beloved son." CF finally realized that most people hated it .

Well, I finally got a night ride on The Beast last night, and it was nothing short of spectacular. The entire ride was completely enveloped in fog and it was impossible to see the bottom of the drops. It honestly felt like it was going to explode as it rocketed through the helix. Easily the best ride I've ever had on it.

^Nope, it was completely dark. It was impossible to tell where the tunnels even started. There was a blue light at the bottom of the second drop, but the valley was so filled with fog that a mysterious blue light permeating from the bottom of a seemingly-bottomless drop didn't take anything away from the experience. The prop out in the forest was also lit up with a dim light, but the ride was running so well that I could have cared less.

^^I also got a night ride last night. It was the best ride I've ever had on it. It really was super dark and it was running on insane mode. The last bit before heading into the second lift and the helix were crazy. It was absolutely amazing.

• 1 month later...

Not up on what went down or happened to Son Of Beast, anyone care to give me a brief synopsis?

I got to King's Island about 10 years back, I think the 2nd year of SoB, it still had the loop, and got about a dozen rides on it that day. Yeah it was a bit rough but not that painful. The worst thing was those oversized lapbars. It was a great ride though, I loved it or wouldn't have gone back for multiple laps. So what happened? Did it deteriorate that badly?

I thought it was a better ride than it's Pop, The Beast. I got to ride The Beast the year it opened in 79 and my memories of it being screamin' fast through the woods met with huge disappointment on my return visit, it felt like Grandma was driving that thing and wouldn't take her foot off the brakes.

Just read about the Topper Track on the SFoG thread and my first thought was SoB needs this or the Texas Giant/El Toro treatment. Be a shame to just tear that structure down.

After an incident in 2006, they closed the ride and took out the loop. The trains were too heavy for the ride and the new, lighter trains were not able to go on the loop which is why they took it out. It soon reopened without the signature loop, but was shut down mid season in 2009 because a women supposedly suffered a severe head injury and sued the park over it. It has not since ran and no decision on its future has been made. I personally hope with all my heart that it reopens, but i don't know..

• 1 month later...