TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Mean Streak never bothers me when it comes to roughness cause I find if I sit forward in the seat and brace myself the entire ride it doesn't hurt at all. As fas as Son of Beast, I have yet to find a rideable position on it cause there just flat out isn't one. It is just too rough of a coaster.

As far as Magnum goes I've never had any bruising issues on it. I would maybe recommend tightening your seat belt and not putting the lap bar doen as far. I love Magnum.

^ Haha no one yet... It would be an amazing idea though. Technically any train that uses magnetic brakes can be launched by reversing the brake.

that would be pretty awesome. But i guess they would have to redo the track thin so they dont fly off the track, maybe add a set of wheels underneath? id personally be fine with just magnetic braking and a traditional lift hill. Six flags needs to upgrade their wooden's to this because they love to get you goin as fast as possible then slam you into the brake run.

^ Haha no one yet... It would be an amazing idea though. Technically any train that uses magnetic brakes can be launched by reversing the brake.

that would be pretty awesome. But i guess they would have to redo the track thin so they dont fly off the track, maybe add a set of wheels underneath? id personally be fine with just magnetic braking and a traditional lift hill. Six flags needs to upgrade their wooden's to this because they love to get you goin as fast as possible then slam you into the brake run.

Ummm, you do realize that virtually all wooden coasters have up-stops, right?

I don't see any problem with a launched wooden coaster, but it does seem kind of silly. I mean, why bother with a launched woodie when you can have a launched steel coaster with inversions?

^ It wouldn't have to necessarily be the main focus of the ride. If done right I think a launch would work great for a terrain coaster.

^^ Wooden coasters are typically less expensive than steel. If a wooden coaster could be launched and not require "high" vertical construction, that price could be lowered even more. Imagine Prowler with a launch instead of a lift hill. I think that would be really neat.

Wooden coasters are typically less expensive than steel. If a wooden coaster could be launched and not require "high" vertical construction, that price could be lowered even more. Imagine Prowler with a launch instead of a lift hill. I think that would be really neat.

If a launched wooden coaster were ever built, depending on the type of launch, my guess is that the launch section would be made of steel, similar to Son of Beast's loop.

Ummm, you do realize that virtually all wooden coasters have up-stops, right?

I don't see any problem with a launched wooden coaster, but it does seem kind of silly. I mean, why bother with a launched woodie when you can have a launched steel coaster with inversions?

We got into that discussion because the Gravity Groups new protype Timberliner trains for wooden coasters are able to be magnetically braked, and have the ability to be launched. Still i just feel safer with wheels under the rail if it was launched.

I just dont see the need for a launch on a woodie, but if it came along I would definitely ride it haha.

Like he said, if they had a launch system for a terrain coaster that would be great. I'd love that ont he raven with how its all through the forest and the lake but the supports probably wouldnt be able to take the forces from the increased speed. They've got the money to do the modifications for it and legend(another good terrain coaster) but i dont know if they should or not for legend since im going to ride it next month for the first time.

^ I guess what some of us are trying to say is that a launched wooden coaster would just feel "wrong". I know, that's a pretty lame reason, but wooden coasters and steel coasters have traditionally given different ride experiences, and combining those two, IMO, would just produce a ride that feels stitched together and incredibly gimmicky.

Not that I've heard, and I doubt we'll hear anything big for a while longer yet. Generally when the park pulls out the red bench to block off the line, it means it'll be closed for a while. I could be wrong, but I don't see things changing on SoB for a while.

I'm getting this feeling that Son of Beast won't reopen again, and will be removed in the off-season.

If it does reopen, there will be more changes made. But I think it'll be down the rest of 2009 at least.