TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I think it would be better for them long term to eat the cost of taking it down rather than bare the cost of maintanence and the possiblity of lawsuits in the future. Cut your losses and move on. Cedar Fair would be smart to get rid of it. Paramount made the mistake of building the thing.

I think it would be better for them long term to eat the cost of taking it down rather than bare the cost of maintanence and the possiblity of lawsuits in the future. Cut your losses and move on. Cedar Fair would be smart to get rid of it. Paramount made the mistake of building the thing.

They are already in some huge debt and paying the enormous cost to demolish SOB would not help. They should keep it up, at least until they can become financially sound again which may be a while by the looks of their debt load.

^ And you're so sure, how?

Can you imagine how much it would cost to tear down such a behemoth? They are better off keeping it and have it continue to be one of the most intimidating coasters in the park.

That's where having a lighter and telling everyone to back the heck up comes in handy

One slight problem with your sarcastic (at least I hope) theory. If you noticed SOB is pretty much surrounded by trees. Lets just say Smokey the Bear would probably have a heart attack if Kings Island tries to make the world's biggest bond-fire. As for the epcot wand, it is not nearly as big as Son of Beast, and is certainly does not have as complex of a support structure.

^Then move on to plan B, load a train with ACErs and the structure will collapse due to the extreme weight put on it!

Now there is a plan!

They could implode the coaster having the lift hill fall on the rest of the ride and the big rose bowl fall on the other part.

There is no guarantee where all of the track would fall, it would not be safe.

Demolition experts can almost effectively control a demo. If they wanted the rose bowl to implode on itself, it could be done and so forth. The only varible would be the explosive itself.

I personally believe fixing and operating SoB will cost more than demo'ing it now and building something later. Perhaps if they remove Flight Deck (I hope they wouldn't unless financially it cost more to operate), they could put something in ther to make some really awesome ride or rides to put in that area.

^They wouldn't necessarily need to remove FD for a new ride or area. The SoB footprint is plenty big enough for a park expansion without using the FD footprint.

...if Kings Island tries to make the world's biggest bond-fire.

I think you countered your own argument right there. It's a bond fire - its government-subsidized. CF wouldn't have to pay a cent!

I have to admit its kind of sad the a company invested so much in what should have been a great coaster. With the money they had spent, they could have built a GCI with two lift hills and rivaled its Father for length. The ride is impressive, as is Mean Streak and Texas Giant, but they just have boring, and rough layouts. I hate seeing any ride get demolished, but these three probably should go. I know they are rehabbing Texas Giant, so it will be interesting to see what exactly this rehab entails. Maybe it will decide the future of the other two. Sad to see any ride go

One slight problem with your sarcastic (at least I hope) theory. If you noticed SOB is pretty much surrounded by trees. Lets just say Smokey the Bear would probably have a heart attack if Kings Island tries to make the world's biggest bond-fire. As for the epcot wand, it is not nearly as big as Son of Beast, and is certainly does not have as complex of a support structure.

One. It was sarcastic. Two. I was comparing it to your argument about cost. The main reason everyone felt the Wand would never come down, was cost. They were proven wrong. Three. Who said anything about burning it down?

Hey friends at GCI, maybe a re-track and MF trains?

Didn't they say they were just unhappy with the ride experience as opposed to the ride? Ok, that's splitting hairs LoL

I guess I've personally always really wanted to ride it, even though I heard being beaten by a baseball bat could potentially be less painful. It sure is one impressive structure though.

I'm just glad it wasn't someone trying to get their hat they dropped.

Exactly! Just in case it hasn't been pointed out, a lot more people (by what I know) die or get injured trying to get lost items from coasters without permission than on the rides themselves.

Still, RIP a fellow coaster rider. I must agree with spaceace12; when I die, I'd like to do so on a coaster, not in a bed or a wheelchair with tubes stuck up my arm and IV going through my arm. Too boring.