TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best and Worst Log Flumes

I was just wondering what the best and worst log flumes are. In my opinion the best are The Wild Thornberry Flume at Kings Island and Dare Devil Falls at Dollywood. The worst one is Poland Springs Plunge that operated at SFNE.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been on any actual bad log flumes. There just are those which are more boring than others. The best one I have been on is the Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's, and the least exciting being Jet Stream at SFMM.

It's always sad when a park removes a log flume because they are such great classic rides to theme parks. The exception to this is when they are removed to make way for a world class roller coaster like White Water Landing was for Maverick.

I personally believe that Holiday World has one of the best in the world. Frightful Falls is one of the only (or is it the only?) log flume that's trough was constructed completely of concrete, except for the drop. There are many small, yet effective drops along the course (including a "hidden" drop in the underground tunnel!), and to top it all off; your picture is taken going down the final plunge!

I really have yet to ride a log flume that I didn't enjoy...

I personally believe that Holiday World has one of the best in the world. Frightful Falls is one of the only (or is it the only?) log flume that's trough was constructed completely of concrete, except for the drop. There are many small, yet effective drops along the course (including a "hidden" drop in the underground tunnel!), and to top it all off; your picture is taken going down the final plunge!

I really have yet to ride a log flume that I didn't enjoy...

Indiana Beach's Log Flume is made entirely of concrete, at least some of it is. Holiday Worlds is very good, short, but good. Unlike many log flumes, well at least the ones I've been on, that one gets you a little wet.

SFMM's Log Jammer in the front is really intense and fast paced. The drops are steep as well.

DL and MK's Splash Mountains of course for the theming and the drops.

Timber Mountain Log Ride is fun, especially when it's Elf Mountain. And it also sounds very cool during Halloween Haunt, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Splash Mountain is the best ever.

That being said, I used to love Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal at Kings Island although we always called it the "big water logs" because the drop seemed huge when I was little. I also love the Wild Thornberry's ride at Kings Island because it goes back into the woods a bit.

I've never really been on one that was horrible either, although Dive to Atlantis was pretty mediocre because we bottomed the boat out on it and basically had to push ourselves through the course because it went SO slow.

Garfield's Nightmare (which I know is not a log flume ride but it is a kind of boat ride) scared me half to death because our boat almost flipped and we bottomed it out a couple times too.

I give Splash Mountain at WDW the edge over Dudley because I think its theming is just a little bit better and it has an extra drop. Dudley is still amazing though, I think IOA definitely has the best drop on any log flume that I've been on. I'm going to give honorable mention to the log flume at Knotts, it is pure classic and is really well themed as well.

Worst: Wild Adventure's log flume. Go figure...

The Three 'main' theme parks in the UK have decent enough log rides, Thorpe has a very good double down main drop. Chessington has good theming on the main drop and a smaller drop into a dragons mouth and Alton Towers has Bathtubs and rubber ducks.

Still nothing tops Dudley Doo Rights and Splash Mountain though

Having worked for so long at WDW's Splash Mountain, I would be hunted down and beaten senseless with Br'er Bear's Club if I didn't choose it for the Laughin'est, Splashin'est, most "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" Splashtacular Laughin' Place in the whole wide world. So I will.

But, I must also mention that I've always found Hersheypark's Coal Cracker to be a disproportionately enjoyable ride, given its lack of theming, creative track elements etc. Quite enjoyable, yes.

Strangely, I like Knott's Timber Mountain Log Ride better than either DL and WDW's Splash Mountains. Maybe because it's a classic.

Log Jammer at SFMM is a good, long flume, and its drop at the end is pretty tall.

As for worst...I don't think I've really been on a bad one. I've always liked flumes regardless of how long, tall, or themed they are.

Eric