TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

:cry:

I take it this means it's the "fall back plan" then...?

Lol,..many will like the fallback plan, but not good enough for a 'suppose to be a big year' thing though. I need to go to the park and track him down. I use to see him every week at a place where we take our kids, but haven't seen him in almost two months.

Lol,..many will like the fallback plan, but not good enough for a 'suppose to be a big year' thing though. I need to go to the park and track him down. I use to see him every week at a place where we take our kids, but haven't seen him in almost two months.

Hint? Or at least the area of the park it will most likely go? I'm starting to think we were supposed to get the 4d free fly that SFNE is supposedly getting

You actually may be onto something... Jester would fit perfectly into the new Mardi Gras area, and the park used to have an Enterprise called SkyEscaper. Anything would beat last year's addition I guess. Too bad the park couldn't save the HF Enterprise. Out of them, Huss, and Schwarzkopf, I think that their model is the best. I'm glad the only one left in the world is at my home park, Darien Lake.

It's pretty much confirmed that they're getting flat rides relocated from great america. Guess who won't be renewing their season pass next year

Lol,,where is this 'confirmation' coming from? Not saying that I disagree with the confirmation. Orbit is a popular ride at SFGAm. They will be pissed.

So my visit to SFA was my shortest theme park visit ever. I had a train come into DC at around 2:00. After checking into my hotel, I decided to go to SFA. I arrived at around 4:30, and my goal was to get in all the credits and get the hell out of Largo before sundown.

I would say, for the small amount of coasters at this park, they have a pretty good mix. Despite most of them being clones, Joker's Jinx, Wild One, and Batwing are really good rides. (Yes, I said Batwing was really good. I do not understand at all the hate for Batwing and Firehawk) I was able to get all the credits in, but I had a really bad experience with my final ride: VR Superman.

This was my first time being at the park, so I had never ridden Superman before. Since it was clear that I would only have time for one ride, I chose to ride in the back row. And, I had never ridden a VR coaster before, so I tried that out.

So even though the graphics on the VR are hideous, I was initially having fun with it. This was up until the second airtime hill. This hill does get some great airtime, but the problem with the VR was I could not see the seat in front of me. So, then the coaster made the abrupt transition from negative to positave G's, I slammed my head and the headset on the seat in front of me. This caused the calibration of the vision to go crooked, so I removed the headset in the second helix to simply enjoy the rest of the ride. This gave me a nasty headache. Maybe this is why the headsets keep breaking?

It's pretty much confirmed that they're getting flat rides relocated from great america. Guess who won't be renewing their season pass next year

Lol,,where is this 'confirmation' coming from? Not saying that I disagree with the confirmation. Orbit is a popular ride at SFGAm. They will be pissed.

I just assumed since we get their hand me downs lol. I just feel like this park has been due for a NEW and UNIQUE roller coaster. It gets old riding the same mediocre coasters for 10+ years, even superman is starting to get boring. I do like that the park is improving but why doesn't this park get the same treatment as great adventure, great america, fiesta Texas and etc.? It's minutes away from the nations capital and has good enough attendance for a new coaster.

^SFA absolutely does not have th attendance or profit anywhere close to Great Adventure or Great America. Step foot in the dry park in the summer at Great Adventure compared to SFA and it's not even funny.
true, but that's not always the case. I've seen both the water park and dry side crowded this summer with parking extending to the last overflow lot. My point is, it's time for a brand new coaster

Sfa has a different market compared to Six flags great adventure. Six flags great adventure also draws a lot of people for the safari which is a unique experience not to mention they have some of the best roller coasters on the planet such as el toro and the general publics major draw Kingda ka. If the lineups were the other way around I think its safe to say Sfa would be the dominate park.

^SFA absolutely does not have th attendance or profit anywhere close to Great Adventure or Great America. Step foot in the dry park in the summer at Great Adventure compared to SFA and it's not even funny.
true, but that's not always the case. I've seen both the water park and dry side crowded this summer with parking extending to the last overflow lot. My point is, it's time for a brand new coaster

You guys just got Ragin Cajun in 2014. Look at Poor Great Escape that hasn't gotten a new coaster in 2005.

I just want to say this. Six Flags America could be one of the most popular parks in the chain, but the problem is investing. Becuase Six Flags doesn't want to invest, I think we'll stay just as we are now. An average Six Flags parks with decent rides and a couple standouts. If I ran the park I'd do this:

2017: Thrilling Flats like what SFOT got

2018: Gale Force Clone

2019: Justice League: Battle for Metropolis

2020: Bugs Bunny Boomtown and a family flat

2021: Family- Thrilling multi launch or spinner made by Mack

But the problem is that would require a lot of capital investment which I don't think we'll get. The park is 40 minutes away from the nations capital which gets millions of visitors. But people are driving an extra 2 hours to go to parks like BGW becuase their getting those investments. This is what I would expect for SFA for the next 5 years.

2017: 2 Relocated Flats from SFGAm

2018: Either RMC Roar (unlikely) or 4D Free Fly (more likely)

2019: Bugs Bunny Boomtown and DC Super Friends Kids Area

2020: Waterpark 4 slide complex

2021: Family/Thrilling Flats and either Superman Backwards (if thats possible) or A New Show

Thanks for listening to my thoughts

So my visit to SFA was my shortest theme park visit ever. I had a train come into DC at around 2:00. After checking into my hotel, I decided to go to SFA. I arrived at around 4:30, and my goal was to get in all the credits and get the hell out of Largo before sundown.

I would say, for the small amount of coasters at this park, they have a pretty good mix. Despite most of them being clones, Joker's Jinx, Wild One, and Batwing are really good rides. (Yes, I said Batwing was really good. I do not understand at all the hate for Batwing and Firehawk) I was able to get all the credits in, but I had a really bad experience with my final ride: VR Superman.

This was my first time being at the park, so I had never ridden Superman before. Since it was clear that I would only have time for one ride, I chose to ride in the back row. And, I had never ridden a VR coaster before, so I tried that out.

So even though the graphics on the VR are hideous, I was initially having fun with it. This was up until the second airtime hill. This hill does get some great airtime, but the problem with the VR was I could not see the seat in front of me. So, then the coaster made the abrupt transition from negative to positave G's, I slammed my head and the headset on the seat in front of me. This caused the calibration of the vision to go crooked, so I removed the headset in the second helix to simply enjoy the rest of the ride. This gave me a nasty headache. Maybe this is why the headsets keep breaking?

As soon as I saw that "bad experience" I knew where that was going. That was my first thought about Superman VR: not for those without experience in the ride. At least the headset cushioned your collision .

You guys just got Ragin Cajun in 2014. Look at Poor Great Escape that hasn't gotten a new coaster in 2005.

I think six flags doesn't want to invest in the park because they thought apocalypse would "wow" the gp, but it didn't. They probably feel like they wasted money on all of the somewhat good theming for it to flop, ragin cajun usually has a longer line, so that says something.

Hint? Or at least the area of the park it will most likely go? I'm starting to think we were supposed to get the 4d free fly that SFNE is supposedly getting

Lol,..I gave a hint in an earlier post. Actually said too much. Next time you go to the park, look for 'anything' new that has been put up.

I just want to say this. Six Flags America could be one of the most popular parks in the chain, but the problem is investing.

Here's the deal: for people in the region, complaints about the clientele consistently come up and have been coming up for as long as I've been connected to the rest of the hobby or people living in the DC/Baltimore area. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these complaints are really down-low racism, but confronting that fact doesn't change the reality that there's a lot of people there with a lot of alternate options who are basically afraid of a theme park with a greater than 15% African American or Hispanic customer base. Six Flags can do two things then:

-Shrug, put lots of money into infrastructure that was ignored during the initial flagging process from Adventure World to Six Flags America

-Do bare minimum to keep numbers where they are in a highly competitive market place

The current management has never chosen for #1 for any park, so it shouldn't surprise you they've gone with #2. That park needs to spend millions on things like plumbing before they spend it on rides.

I just want to say this. Six Flags America could be one of the most popular parks in the chain, but the problem is investing.

Here's the deal: for people in the region, complaints about the clientele consistently come up and have been coming up for as long as I've been connected to the rest of the hobby or people living in the DC/Baltimore area. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these complaints are really down-low racism, but confronting that fact doesn't change the reality that there's a lot of people there with a lot of alternate options who are basically afraid of a theme park with a greater than 15% African American or Hispanic customer base. Six Flags can do two things then:

-Shrug, put lots of money into infrastructure that was ignored during the initial flagging process from Adventure World to Six Flags America

-Do bare minimum to keep numbers where they are in a highly competitive market place

The current management has never chosen for #1 for any park, so it shouldn't surprise you they've gone with #2. That park needs to spend millions on things like plumbing before they spend it on rides.

This. The "clientele" thing really grinds my gears about this park. Leading up to the first time I visited SFA that is all I would hear about. When I finally visited the park I said to myself "what the hell are they talking about?" They were speaking about the place as if there was drug dealers slinging dope on ride exits and people were getting knifed on the midways. Man people are sheltered sometimes.

This. The "clientele" thing really grinds my gears about this park. Leading up to the first time I visited SFA that is all I would hear about. When I finally visited the park I said to myself "what the hell are they talking about?" They were speaking about the place as if there was drug dealers slinging dope on ride exits and people were getting knifed on the midways. Man people are sheltered sometimes.

I completely agree with you. The people saying that should just go to valley fair or michigans adventure instead.

I completely agree with you. The people saying that should just go to valley fair or michigans adventure instead.

Neither of those parks are remotely close to SFA. Maybe KD and BGW instead.

Neither of those parks are remotely close to SFA. Maybe KD and BGW instead.

I know that but I was trying to say that if they don't want to be around black people and latinos they should go somewhere where they aren't.