TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

We're visiting the park today for the first time. Finding it hard to really enjoy after a couple days at Great Adventure. Couldn't ride Superman unfortunately. Even with a 38" waist the lap belts were a good 4-5" too short. Really wanted to try the VR experience.

I'm a 38 also and I just got back from Great Adventure. I could ride everything. Come to think of it, they don't have VR. And Superman doesn't have seat belts.

I would assume you meant America, but surely you didn't spend TWO full days at SFA?

4-5? I'm a 38. Have plenty left over.

Did you ride it this season? They screwed up the seat belts, so tons of fat people are able to get the lap bar down on the test seat with no problem, but then on the actual ride they can't get the seat belts buckled. Thankfully I could get on, but they're pretty tight and uncomfortable.

We're visiting the park today for the first time. Finding it hard to really enjoy after a couple days at Great Adventure. Couldn't ride Superman unfortunately. Even with a 38" waist the lap belts were a good 4-5" too short. Really wanted to try the VR experience.

I'm a 38 also and I just got back from Great Adventure. I could ride everything. Come to think of it, they don't have VR. And Superman doesn't have seat belts.

I would assume you meant America, but surely you didn't spend TWO full days at SFA?

I think you misread his post. Sounds like two days at Gadv, now at SFA unable to ride Superman.

I think you misread his post. Sounds like two days at Gadv, now at SFA unable to ride Superman.

Ah, of course. Makes sense now.

Did you ride it this season? They screwed up the seat belts, so tons of fat people are able to get the lap bar down on the test seat with no problem, but then on the actual ride they can't get the seat belts buckled. Thankfully I could get on, but they're pretty tight and uncomfortable.

Yeah, I've ridden it well over 15 times, literally.

I rode it last week and I'm a 38. Had no issues at all and also had quite a bit of belt left despite reading reports that the seat belts were very short. It's how you carry the weight.

I rode it last week and I'm a 38. Had no issues at all and also had quite a bit of belt left despite reading reports that the seat belts were very short. It's how you carry the weight.

Yep, exactly! I'm not skinny by any means. 5' 11" and 220lbs. I fit in the test seat just fine with room to spare. The seat belt on the ride wasn't the same length. Guess it's time for a diet. Lol

And yes, 2 days at SF Great Adventure. Might go back to America for the fireworks tomorrow though weather permitting.

I'm at the park now and holy crap Superman's operations with VR are absolutely atrocious. I've been in line 10 minutes and they've yet to dispatch the train. There is a sign that the ride will operate from 2-5 without VR so maybe that's a good sign they realize it sucks.

Other than that it's been a terrible luck day. I got a ticket for going 74 on I-95 (with the flow of traffic, mind you).

Edit: 19 minutes and counting since the last dispatch

Edit 2: 21 minutes it is

Edit 3: I'll post more about it later but VR definitely makes Superman much less stale after riding it dozens of times. It was really fun.

I'm at the park now and holy crap Superman's operations with VR are absolutely atrocious. I've been in line 10 minutes and they've yet to dispatch the train. There is a sign that the ride will operate from 2-5 without VR so maybe that's a good sign they realize it sucks.

Other than that it's been a terrible luck day. I got a ticket for going 74 on I-95 (with the flow of traffic, mind you).

Edit: 19 minutes and counting since the last dispatch

Edit 2: 21 minutes it is

Edit 3: I'll post more about it later but VR definitely makes Superman much less stale after riding it dozens of times. It was really fun.

21. Holy crap,mthat a record. I waited a ridiculous 12 minutes once, but other than that, I average 8-10 for VR.

Even the ops at Six Flags New England were pretty quick with VR. Granted, only about half the train wore VR at a time (I guess people really don't care much about it). Dispatches were around 3 minutes.

21 minutes...oh my gosh. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Well, I'm home and I've had some time to limit my frustration with the fuzz having no chill on the beltway today.

Sorry, no pictures, but we started the day in the waterpark from 11 to around 1. Not too heavy crowds, no complaints there. The new splash pad is really popular and overall the waterpark seems to be doing well and looks nice. No shortage of tubes anywhere.

As for the dry side... well, we rode Superman three times. The first time was a five train wait and it took 75 minutes. Yes, you read that correctly. I'm glad they're running one train because nobody wants to sit in the 90 degree beating sun for 15+ minutes. As for the VR, excellent (this time around)!

As noted, they scrap the headsets from 2 to 5 so we came back just before 5 and made it three train away when they started VR again. Operations were mediocre/bad without VR (3 minute dispatches), then suddenly 10 minute minimum with VR. Second ride ended up waiting around 40 minutes and the VR never moved with the train. The screen was completely stuck. So halfway up the lift I *carefully* held the headset on my forehead and held it with one hand the entire ride. Ugh.

We told the attendant and she mumbled something about using flash pass, so we went to the FP entrance and were allowed to skip the line without scanning anything or being asked anything. We were allowed to do this, but it's a little odd nobody even asked why we didn't have a flash pass.

Third ride, it was all good until the turn after the first drop. The headset overheated and went black with the error message. Same result as the second ride. At this point the three of us had mixed success with the headsets (none of us 3/3) so we called it quits.

My rating on VR? When it works perfectly as it was drawn up (see ride 1) excluding the laughable operations, it was fantastic. It gave the feeling of being on a top coaster for the first time all over again, even though I've ridden Ride of Steel dozens of times. I felt like a (younger) kid again that just realized coasters are amazing and I want to ride more of them. In this setting, 9/10 for mediocre graphics only.

With rides 2 and 3, I hope it's temporary. As in end it this weekend forever. A massive waste of efforts.

Oh, and a baby bird had fallen from it's nest 20 feet up in Superman's station and was dying on the loading platform but nobody noticed, so my environmentally conscious friend notified an employee who notified a lead about 30 minutes later who was about to sweep it up and throw it in the trash can. My friend was having none of that and she ended up taking it to a wildlife rescue shelter on the way home.

Possible attractions coming to SFA in 2017:

1. Thrilling flat ride, possibly a sky screamer in Gotham city

2. Retheme of whistlestop park to DC super friends along with a Gotham city retheme

3. Celebration of wild one's 100th birthday with new paint and retracking

4. RMC hybrid of ROAR

In my dreams, but hopefully 3 and 4 can happen and 2017 can be the year of the woodies

. . .2017 can be the year of the woodies

Mmmm... Year of the woodies?!

In all seriousness though, I think an RMC ROAR would be amazing. RMC has been doing such great things with all their projects, I have no doubt RMC ROAR would be a great coaster!!

The new flat rides and kids area seems the most likely, since they really need flat rides. I think a repainting of Wild One would be possible, since Six Flags America does take surprisingly good care of their woodies. A re-tracking would be a little bit less likely, since it's already somewhat smooth and it really only needs some new paint.

I really hope they don't give Roar an RMC treatment, even though it would be a lot better. I like how the park has two really good wooden coasters, unlike most other Six Flags parks. And they just did a lot of work on Roar, and it's running well and very smoothly in most places. And I can see them re-tracking the rest over the next 2-3 seasons. They never did that stuff with Roar (now Joker) at Discovery Kingdom. Roar is my second-favorite ride in the park now, and I don't think they would just RMC the thing after spending all this money to make it great again.

Has anyone heard anything about holiday in the park for this year I know its only late july but this event I think will do awesome for six flags a lot of people from dc market drive to NJ or Williamsburg I hope that details are announced soon

The new flat rides and kids area seems the most likely, since they really need flat rides. I think a repainting of Wild One would be possible, since Six Flags America does take surprisingly good care of their woodies. A re-tracking would be a little bit less likely, since it's already somewhat smooth and it really only needs some new paint.

I really hope they don't give Roar an RMC treatment, even though it would be a lot better. I like how the park has two really good wooden coasters, unlike most other Six Flags parks. And they just did a lot of work on Roar, and it's running well and very smoothly in most places. And I can see them re-tracking the rest over the next 2-3 seasons. They never did that stuff with Roar (now Joker) at Discovery Kingdom. Roar is my second-favorite ride in the park now, and I don't think they would just RMC the thing after spending all this money to make it great again.

Interesting you say that. I thought Roar was "tolerable" at best. I rode in the front seat, and some parts were smooth, but most were rough.

Has anyone heard anything about holiday in the park for this year I know its only late july but this event I think will do awesome for six flags a lot of people from dc market drive to NJ or Williamsburg I hope that details are announced soon

They usually announce the details very late. Great Adventure didn't announce a ride list or map until about a week before the event.