TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

The only tip that I have is to hit Batwing first (before it starts having technical issues, if any) then work your way out of Gotham. The lines will be short for the most part so have a great day! You'll probably finish all the coasters in 2 hours tops lol. Have a great time!

^^ Good luck! But really, have fun!

Something is ALWAYS down at some point, but it's usually minor issues, so you should be able to hit up all the coasters, like vacoaster09 said. Most of the coasters tend to be walk-ons during week days if they have 2 train operations... again, aside from Batwing because of aformentioned "technical difficulties" and perpetual single train operation.

I'd recommend riding front row on Apocalypse; seemed to be smoother than the other rows the times I've been on it.

^Sure thing!

Ride Wild One... and then keep riding it.

Noted and done! But you guys all suck for not telling me about the front seat...airtime city right there.

Not surprisingly, I did nearly all the credits in a lazy 2 1/2 hours. The park actually got more and more dead as the afternoon went on; I'd figured it would be the opposite as the torturous heat calmed down a bit.

^^^Lol okay I may not be getting the joke, but wasn't this ride made by Vekoma.... I know the Intamin chain thing I just don't know how it relates...

Welcome to Theme Park Review! Don't ask a question if you don't want someone to make a joke of it!

I figured that, that's why after I thought about it for 5 min then decided not to be lazy and look for the answer myself

I went to the park for the first time on Sunday after East Coast Bash at KD (which was awesome, thanks TPR!).

If this park has improved, I'm glad I didn't go before the improvements. The ride collection is pretty good but we didn't even bother re-riding Superman or Batwing because of the insanely long and hot paths back to them with no shade or bathrooms. Coyote Creek and the Pirate Area are really nice but the rest of the park is hideous. They were also running one train on Apocalypse, Superman and Batwing. This park sucks, and I'll probably only go back to ride Roar since it was closed.

The coasters themselves were pretty good though (except for Mind Eraser but that goes without saying). Wild One, Superman, Jokers Jynx and Batwing were all great coasters and for a standup, Apocalypse was tolerable.

I've been to SFA a few times in the past, and have only been able to compare it to other amusement park chains (Busch, Cedar Fair, etc.). This year, I got a SF season pass for the first time, so I made trips to SFoG, SFGAdv, and SFNE. I was shocked to see how much better than SFA these parks are in just about every way. They have less clones and more coasters with original designs, themeing and atmosphere was vastly better, they are cleaner, they have shade, they have decent layouts that are not as frustrating as SFA's, and they obviously have much more money poured into them by SF. It really frustrates me to see other parks get awesome, original coasters while SFA gets a load of clones. Batwing, Mind Eraser, S:ROS, JJ, and Roar are all clones. That leaves us with 2 original coasters, Wild One and Apocalypse. It is just sad to see the park be neglected by the chain. Hopefully they are taking a step in the right direction with Apocalypse and maybe a Hurricane Harbor expansion next year. Sorry for the rant. I'm done now.

Roar was original when it was built, and it ran awesome the first year or two before the PTCs destroyed the track. I remember marathoning it without problem back in 98, it sounds like you unfortunately did not get to experience this grace period in its history. In this case, it would be better to have gotten the cloned Roar because the one at SFDK has Millenium Flyers and still runs pretty well from what I've read.

ROS may be a clone (mirror, actually), but it's a great ride (those awful ankle bar retrofits notwithstanding). Batwing likewise is a clone, but there were only 3 of the Flying Dutchman built so it is a relative novelty unless you spend alot of time in Ohio or the Carolinas for your coastering.

Typhoon Seacoaster (aka Skull Mountain) was an awesome original installation as well, unfortunately operational problems plagued the ride into oblivion but it was really fun at first (when the turntables still worked).

I feel like SFA's coaster collection would appear a lot more filled out if Roar got some retrack lovin and some new MF trains. It is sad to see such a beautiful coaster be so unrideable because of the jackhammering. Wildcat has been much improved by the MF trains after suffering the same fate as Roar through much of the early 2000's.

Although S:ROS is a decent ride, I still fail to see why they cloned the Darien Lake version with its long straightaways and enormous helices instead of designing their own to fit in the massive amount of space they had available. We see how well that worked out for SFNE! Also, I really hope they get new trains for Superman in the next few years, as the current ones have very little leg room compared to the new ones on Bizarro.

Unfortunately, I never got to ride Typhoon Sea Coaster. It was closed every time I visited, and now it's gone.

You're correct, I've only experienced the current painful version of Roar. It desperately needs Millenium Flyers, like Wildcat and Gwazi did. I think the park should dedicate a year's budget to getting new trains for their coasters. As mentioned above, S:ROS and Roar need them, and while they are at it, they should get those new trains with the straps for Mind Eraser.

Also, I feel like a good B&M invert or floorless would help make SFA feel like it has a more complete coaster collection. Something the size of Batman: The Dark Knight would fit well between Batwing and S:ROS.