TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Has anything been done to the last 500 feet of Skyrush? Just felt it wasn't anywhere near as intense as it was when I rode it opening year. The twisty bit before the airtime hill just sorted of lumbered over that and the airtime hill gave nothing. Ride 2nd to the back and very back. What gives?

What trims? I haven't ridden it since opening year.

They're tiny and unnoticeable - only one fin in three different places, you'll never feel them even if you tried.

I'm curious now, I haven't been to Hershey yet this year so I've gotta get up there and see if I notice anything different from last season.

Interesting. I only rode it last year (so after the slowed down lift) but both the twisted hill and the final one were pretty intense. I have also been watching a few POVs taken this year and didn't really noticed any difference.

What trims? I haven't ridden it since opening year.

There are 3 trims on the course and the only one I ever feel or hear is the one after the Stengel Dive. This might be very weird but I found train 2 to be slower yesterday? If that makes any sense whatsoever, Train 1 gave a way better ride to me.

Has anything been done to the last 500 feet of Skyrush? Just felt it wasn't anywhere near as intense as it was when I rode it opening year. The twisty bit before the airtime hill just sorted of lumbered over that and the airtime hill gave nothing. Ride 2nd to the back and very back. What gives?

You know Robb, I noticed this too when I rode Skyrush a couple weeks ago. I rode it when it opened back in 2012 and I definitely could tell the difference. It just seemed to suddenly flatten-out.

Whatever happened would had to have happened after opening weekend, when it was riding as crazy as ever (though I believe they were only running one train, so I can't comment on if one was riding better than the other). I'm hoping what you experienced was a fluke. For that last airtime hill to give literally nothing is shocking, and very strange if you didn't notice any specific points (i.e. trims) along the course where the train lost speed. Did you notice any severe shuffling or bumpiness which would suggest the train wasn't tracking well?

^I also find that the last hill giving nothing is very odd. When I rode it last year it was just as intense as the first two (which basically means morw than any other coaster), only shorter

I always ride closer to the front, and the two hills over the pathway (one twisted, one straight) are definitely comparable to opening season, maybe a little less intense. But the hill right before the brake run doesn't really give anything.

Hey guys, heading here next Saturday, August 9th. Haven't been to the park since Fahrenheit's opening year and was just wondering for planning purposes what I should expect in terms of wait times for rides. I'm sure Saturday is their busiest day and long lines at parks is probably my biggest pet peeve. Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Hey guys, heading here next Saturday, August 9th. Haven't been to the park since Fahrenheit's opening year and was just wondering for planning purposes what I should expect in terms of wait times for rides. I'm sure Saturday is their busiest day and long lines at parks is probably my biggest pet peeve. Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Yes Saturdays can be rough however if you get there early enough, do the reverse method as we preach on here. Start with Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, then Midway America, then make your way towards the front of the park. Skyrush line dies down after 2-3pm. Have a fun trip!

From experience they typically leave coasters running in light to light-moderate rain (Only coaster that I know for sure shuts down in the rain is Comet, also worth noting that Skyrush is NOT at all fun in the rain. It will make any sized raindrops feel like tiny bullets attempting to kill you )... Any lightning and all outdoor rides shutdown and remain shutdown until 30-45 minutes after the last lightning strike (Indoor rides can also be very hit-or-miss during this time as well, especially somewhat enclosed rides like the Dodge-ems). Your best bet is to, if you hear lightning, go to the pizza place across from Skyrush. Grab a slice. And wait for it to blow over... Once it stops then most people will have left and you pretty much have walk-ons for the rest of the day/night anyways

Coasters take longer to open after it storms though, general rule of thumb is 15-20 minutes after the initial 30-45 minutes. Not including Comet which can take up to 30-45 minutes to dry off its brakes and test

Hi guys, I just wanted to know what Hersheypark's general rain policy is since it appears my day at the park will have rain fall at some point?

Thanks in advance.

Something along these lines...

Stage 1- (light rain, any rain in the near distance) - Skyrush and Storm Runner close

Stage 2- (steady rain)-Fahrenheit, SDL and Great Bear close

Stage 3- (heavy rain) Lightning Racer, Trailblazer, Wildcat, Wildmouse, Comet close along with some flats

Stage 4- (Torrential downpour/lightning) All rides closed

That seems to be close I think to their policy

^This is incorrect.

If there is any rain, Storm Runner and Skyrush will go down (or are supposed to).

Comet will stay open if they go to one train ops. Otherwise they pretty much run it until the system faults.

we were there in June, and that was not the case.

everything operated until there was thunder, so we rode in downpours. . until we heard thunder -- then everything closed.

so if this is the policy, it's not followed consistently.

^ I'm really sorry, I don't have an answer for that. I've only been in June and July.

Anyone following the Hershey 2015 announcement? These hints are making me think something like Exterminator at Kennywood. I don't know how I feel about that, because Kennywood is only 2 1/2 hours away... IMO, wouldn't make much sense.

I'm guessing it's going to be located in the current Midway Tent spot next to Wildcat in Midway America.

Thoughts? Disagrees? Let me know!

I don't know how I feel about that, because Kennywood is only 2 1/2 hours away... IMO, wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, maybe by helicopter. Hershey and Kennywood don't service the same markets at all, a lot of people on this side of the state have never even heard of Kennywood. Gotta remember, PA has lots of people on one side and lots on the other and a whole lotta nothing in the middle. Not many people live equally close to the two parks, each draw from different population centers.

Exterminator is an excellent attraction and I think it's about time another park gets something on the same level. That's really what I'm hoping for. It doesn't even need Disney-level theming or anything, just spinning around in the dark is lots of fun.

I don't know how I feel about that, because Kennywood is only 2 1/2 hours away... IMO, wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, maybe by helicopter. Hershey and Kennywood don't service the same markets at all, a lot of people on this side of the state have never even heard of Kennywood. Gotta remember, PA has lots of people on one side and lots on the other and a whole lotta nothing in the middle. Not many people live equally close to the two parks, each draw from different population centers.

Exterminator is an excellent attraction and I think it's about time another park gets something on the same level. That's really what I'm hoping for. It doesn't even need Disney-level theming or anything, just spinning around in the dark is lots of fun.

Great to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not saying Exterminator wasn't good, because the theming was GREAT. You made a valid point about Kennywood though. Thank you.

I visited Hershey for the first time on Thursday. I found the park to be well maintained but surprisingly inefficient. The ride operators were very poorly trained. More than once, they let more people into the ride area than the ride could hold, causing delays while those people had to be ushered out again. The operators weren't unfriendly, just indifferent. There was no sense of urgency to minimize wait times. The water slides were the worst. Two people manned three slides. There was no stacking. Little kids were allowed to take their time deciding which slide they felt like riding. Kids were line jumping all over the place. Double tubes required a wait. I was amazed.

The Midway America section of the park was fairly desolate. When we rode the Whip, we were the only riders on board. Yet the ride consisted of maybe 3 revolutions, tops. I thought the ride broke down, it stopped so soon. It was insulting.

Also insulting were the $15 locker rental fee and the parking fee.

One last beef: the map. I can't tell you how much time I wasted walking around trying to find specific rides because the map was so hard to follow.

I'm not a steel coaster rider, so my criteria for a good park experience is different than most. Actually, I had my first coaster inversion experience that day on the SooperDooperLooper. My neck somehow got seriously bent forward. I guess I didn't know how to prepare myself for the loop. A little sore, but survived. I don't know if I'll try another any time soon. I think I'll stick to old woodies.

The staff at Rye Playland, which we visited yesterday, was far superior, as was the staff at Knoebels (of course.)

My advice for Hershey Park visitors, even if you go mid-week, arrive early and plan to spend the entire day.

I am a woodie fanatic too. The steelies aren't my favorite, but I LOVE sooperdooperlooper because of its classic lap bars! it does have unexpected forces, I agree.

Yeh, it's a hassle to get to lightning racer. My favorite ride there.

Glad to hear you somewhat liked the park. Yeah, the staff is really inefficient, and the operator at wildcat told me to shut up...

I will agree that the map is very inaccurate. Trying to find Storm RUnner the first time was brutal. My problem was that I had spent time memorizing where everything was on the map, but then the park map was wrong so it was hard to find things!