TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Realistically thinking, a Giga is probably too large scale of a coaster for the type of park CGA is. If anything happened, I can see a megalite or if we're lucky, a hyper...but nothing more than that due to proximity to the airport. In fact, everytime we're at CGA we are painfully reminded how we won't see anything really tall when we see an extremely low flying plane...especially during rainy season.

^What's wrong with a Giga coaster, it would certainly be better then some of the other rides they got *cough* Vortex *cough*

What's wrong with Vortex (Haven't ridden it myself, but I'm curious as to how you'll answer your own question)?

^I'd love to see one come in too. They aren't the tallest things in the world but they seriously look like they can pack a punch! We need more airtime coasters in CA...and a smaller park like CGA would probably be a perfect place for one...or if we got a Hyper, even a 200-footer, it could easily be marketed as the 'tallest, fastest coaster in NorCal' with no questions asked (referring to the speed debate between Gold Striker and Giant Dipper).

^What's wrong with a Giga coaster, it would certainly be better then some of the other rides they got *cough* Vortex *cough*

What's wrong with Vortex (Haven't ridden it myself, but I'm curious as to how you'll answer your own question)?

I know Vortex is pretty 'snappy' if you want to say. Combine quick direction changes with high, firm shoulder restraints that are pretty close to the head, there's lots of ear smashing and headbanging to be had. The main part that I brace myself for is that quick snap and entry into corkscrew.

I know Vortex is pretty 'snappy' if you want to say. Combine quick direction changes with high, firm shoulder restraints that are pretty close to the head, there's lots of ear smashing and headbanging to be had. The main part that I brace myself for is that quick snap and entry into corkscrew.

It's too bad that Vortex has all this headbanging as it has a very good layout. That loop definitely pulls some forces and it occasionally has enjoyable rides. When CGA was my home park, I always had to stick my head real far forward to prevent head/ear banging.

^I usually would have the restraint rest on my shoulders as I can then can keep the ears slightly above the restraint if I stretch the neck or pull it forward like you do. At the same time, the clunky, uncomfortable bike saddle rests a bit lower where my legs are further apart. It's still blocky and uncomfy but it's better than having that chunky saddle digging into your thighs and crotch at the next click up. I also tend to stay away from the end seats if possible since the banking left/right can be a bit more harsh/more movement than if you were in the center 2 seats. Lastly, I try to stay up towards the front where it whips you around less.

Ah, okay. I was just under the impression that Vortex was just "another B&M stand-up". I didn't realize that it required riders to brace themselves!

So much progress shown in this pic alone! Looks like there's some kind of concrete wall that's gone up around the 80-degree midway turn, where I'm guessing the queue is going to start. I can almost see where it will head seeing some leveled dirt leading up towards the station foundation (yay I rhymed!).

The speed hump looks a little more mellow than I initially thought but the angles of the photos are pretty limited. It could just be what I'm seeing and could be sharper than I'm thinking.

001.jpg.edc92409f2ce47dfdd9240837cf5cb6e.jpg