TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Yikes, this just continues to get graver and graver... It's sad, but at least you guys still have three of the most beautiful parks in the US in SFDK, SCBB and Bonfonte Gardens. That area is also majorly ripe for a new amusement park of some sort. I hope the park itself (CGA) can survive this storm, but it has some major hurddles to jump past!

Really, I'm at the point to say that Cedar Fair should just let go of this park sans taking the good rides. Paramount had the park going on the right foot, then kind of got into this slump by removing rides without replacement. Paramount did have the days where the park used to be open late, often running as late as 11:00pm during the summer months *looks at 1999 park brochure.* Present day: Cedar Fair seems to be picking up where Paramount left off, kicking things off with the Invertigo removal. What amazes me looking at CGA's timeline is how much 'hot potato' this park has gone through with different owners. Hopefully the park itself will survive this rough storm as mentioned. But in the mean time, this is probably going to seriously harm the park if they (CF) keeps following this road. Being as Cedar Fair doesn't technically 'own' the park as it's really owned by the city (I think that's how it is, someone correct me if I'm wrong!), can Cedar Fair really pull another Geauga Lake maneuver prior to selling off the park?

The land the park is on is leased from the city (through 2039 I believe) but it is my understanding that CF owns all the rides in the park and is free to do what they want with them. Whether or not there is anything of any value left when/if it is sold is probably a sign of what sort of plans the 49ers would have for it. If Flight Deck, Vortex, etc, are taken out prior to a sale to the 49ers, then it is probably a good bet that the team does not intend to continue to run the park. I am sure that CF will get whatever they can out of there before offloading it, especially if the buyer has other uses in mind for the land.

Gulp I don't want to see the park gone and nothing left but concrete. I have a soft spot for the Demon(was my first upside down coaster). I am sorry guys I was rooting for a Maverick clone. I fully understand now it's nowhere near going to happen & what state the park is in now. Hey maybe CGA will get Zonga-that's a compact portable. I think I heard that the 49ers might not make the move after all-they might not have the funding. I am praying CGA won't turn out like Astroworld or Geguana Lake. Maybe we can be the committe to save the park. CF at least cares about the Grizzly-it gets nice work on it. I am curious to try it out this year to see if it really does fly like they said on their Facebook page. I am starting to show some love for what's left of CGA & just enjoy it while I can. Especially Vortex deserves some love. I know it's nowhere like Riddler's Revenge but hey at least it's a standup & can be bearable I guess. Is there a standup worse than Vortex? I dought there is. OMG! I just realized I have been going to the park since 1991(except 2007). Wow that's a long time I've been going. But many memories though. My favorite is probabably going on the Edge for the first time during it's final season in 1995. My uncle got my cousin & I to go on it even though we both were like I don't know about this. That started my love for freefall rides. Then riding the Lobster in 1991 & going on the Revolution for the first time in 2002. & Going on that Tidal Wave for the first time in 1997. The ride announcer was like hands up I was like no & gripping on for dear life! & How I couldn't wait to ride Stealth.

Although the acquisition of the Paramount Parks in 2006 continues to meet the Company's collective operating and profitability goals, the performance of Great America fell below its original expectation and resulted in this impairment charge.

Here's my take on this. The other former Paramount Parks all have gotten something new and major since the Cedar Fair takeover. CGA however was left in the dust. How else does Cedar Fair expect a park to perform if they don't invest anything into the park anyway? Actually, a while back, I had a Q&A session with CGA for one of my general ed classes on leisure. One of my questions was "What frustrations do you have in operating the park?" and the reply I got was that it's hard to market a park without any new product and the guests end up expecting something new. So instead, the park has to try to focus on improving what they already have on hand (like how we saw the much improved Haunt last season, and the retracking project for Grizzly). Honestly, I think that if that woody did happen, the park would have been in much better shape. But because of the neighbors and all of these hurdles, the park is being severely hurt to the point that it seems Cedar Fair wants to jump overboard with this park but take some of its assets before doing so. Being 'experts' in managing a park, you would think that Cedar Fair would realize that they are going to have attendance drop like flies if they don't do anything to provide a fresh experience for repeat visitors. But perhaps that makes too much sense?

I really hope that the higher ups read these boards...this is 1 way to listen to their customers frustrations...Ok, we're a small group within their wider range of customers. But looking at Facebook, which is a broader view of their customers who are doing nothing but complaining that the park isn't getting anything new/becoming a history museum, or the park should get a new coaster/ride to keep them coming. Ever since the Invertigo removal, I've seen nothing but a lot of unhappy people on their FB page I regularly check to see for park news.

Wow, that was a lot to type out!

Wait. I don't understand what all the commotion is about. Haven't we known that CF has been trying to sell the park to the 49ers for years? What am I missing?

Honestly, I don't see it happening. With an NFL lockout looming, Gov. Brown's plans to cut redevelopment funding (i.e. the stadium), the last thing the 49ers want to do is buy a park, AND pay for demolition...

^I'm confused by the whole story...we've got Cedar Fair who was all gung ho about fending off the 49ers project and wanting to file lawsuits, then you had the "aw, screw it, we don't want to deal with this" mentality, followed by "Hey, let's try getting a new woodie in here" ending so far with "Let's remove their Invertigo coaster, one of the park's most popular rides!" Something's real fishy here. Lots of nasty politics behind this that I really don't want to get into or look at as I hate politics

As far as saving Cedar Fair rides, it would be more like Save Flight Deck! No, really, as positive as I was trying to be about the recent events with CGA, I'm beginning to smell that raunchy scent of "Operation Geauga Lake" springing about...does not smell too good. Though I wonder how easy it would be to try relocating Vortex or Flight Deck as they were kind of made to fit with their terrain...more so Vortex over Flight Deck.

As much as I'm looking forward to the 2011 season, I kind of want 2012 season to get here so we can really see what's going to happen, is 2012 will be the apocalypse for CGA or a moment where the park can flourish once again with a shiny new attraction. I'm sure all of us would really like to know what is really going on so we can end this speculation that we are all generating including myself. We could all be very right at what we are seeing, or we (Us CGA fans) can be completely wrong and be getting all worked up for nothing and see something awesome come out of nowhere. I really wish that someone would just speak up now, or within the next few months. In the mean time, their customers are only becoming only more frustrated and will move onto other parks (whose owners actually spend money on). 2011's going to be a painful season for CGA in my opinion. We've got a competing park who got a new attraction while the other park lost their most popular ride. Yes, from what I've seen, Invertigo's had much longer lines than Flight Deck. Could be a capacity thing though.

^ I would bet that a big part of that is capacity. B&M's are generally people eaters...especially when compared to Vekoma shuttles.

I think CF has decided that CGA just is not going to be profitable in its current state. There are a lot of challenges that come with having a park on leased land (ask Kentucky Kingdom about that) add in the neighbors noise worries and it makes for a difficult environment to run the type of park CF is looking for.

OK, well I seem to be alone on this one, but the park is no longer dying, its dead. I have a very hard time believing that they will replace Invertigo with a new ride/coaster. IF the rumors are true, and they are in fact removing Invertgo, that will be the beginning to the end. Nothing will take its place, not a new GCI, and (sorry Scott), not even a wind seeker. I hate to see it happen, but with all this douche-bagerry and the 49'ers. I doubt it. Anywhere else in the country theme parks survive next to major stadiums with success...I think there is enough "bad blood" in this case to seal the deal on CGA's fate.

I posted this when Invertigos removal was a rumor . now that its confirmed, I said it once and I'll say it again.

THIS PARK IS DEAD. Sorry guys, no Maverick clone (that idea must have started while sleeping, farting and sneezing while on magic mushrooms...at the same time!)

Reminds me of Geauga Lake when X-Flight and Steel Venom were removed..................And we all know what happened to that park
Hello Geauga Lake V2.0.

Why doesn't anyone get it?

^There's always going to be hope. This park has meant a great deal to many people for decades, so there's reasoning behind the wishes (no matter how far out there) that some people have regarding CGA.

Unfortunately, I've come to resign myself to agreeing with the general consensus here in believing that the park is fast approaching Geauga territory, and that either total rebound or total failure is right on the horizon.

^ Hey! CGA was my home park, I am one of those people you speak of since 1990. Hope has nothing to do with it, I hope for the best, however I am a realist, and know something foul when i see it.

EDIT: no hope for rebound, Even if ride removal isn't enough, Ceder Fair said it themselves!

Although the acquisition of the Paramount Parks in 2006 continues to meet the Company's collective operating and profitability goals, the performance of Great America fell below its original expectation and resulted in this impairment charge.

is there even room to debate this?

Okay, I'll chime in. I lived in the SJ area for a few years back in the 90's and was a season pass holder.

First, I can't tell you how frustrating it is for me to see people choose to move in near an amusement or theme park (in this case the office park) and then complain about noise. Hello, GA was there long before anything sprang up around it. I've seen this happen time and again. Joyland in Wichita is another example of this. Joyland was there long before the housing sprang up around it and once it shut down, then the neighbors started complaining about noise when a group tried to get it up and running by doing night time events.

Sorry, GA was there first and you choose to move in near it. Deal with it.

That's part of the problem, IMO. Then we have the whole, lets move the 49er's in fiasco.

Then there is the economy. The area like so much of the country was hit hard by the housing bust (even more so there) and "great recession".

I guess I can see it from CF's POV, unlike with Geauga Lake. GL was unforgivable. I'm not so sure about that CF pulls the plug here. It seems to me that they wanted and did make improvements and have tried to put some effort forth with this property. Sadly it appears at this time the future doesn't look to bright for GA. I really want to be wrong here. Will they pull out completely or will the park become a water park sans Geauga Lake?

I'll wait like everyone else to see what happens with GA. It would be nice to see the park live on as a theme park. Time will tell, but I get the feeling the writing is on the wall.

Hello Geauga Lake V2.0.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let anyone do anything stupid like try to "Save the Grizzly...."

--Robb

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing!

I'm looking at it this way. Cedar Fair will probably take what they can out of the park in a grab with the removal of the relocateable rides, sell the park over to the 49ers while closing it before or just after they do this. Next the 49ers will either find a major park operator and cut out a portion of the park for a parking lot or remove everything and pave a parking lot over it.

GCA fanboys at the fansites would probably be filled with rage against Cedar Fair saying Kinzel is the most evil person next to the devil, the boards turn into a site to constantly reflect on the park and refuse to move on, two from there then start to "plan" to save Grizzly since "It's the best coaster in the world!" without knowing how to do this. They are proven to be frauds, and will make thier fansite look bad, etc.

Hello Geauga Lake V2.0.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let anyone do anything stupid like try to "Save the Grizzly...."

--Robb

I can save it for a small donation of $100 a person. 3 Uhaul rentals and we can move it wherever we like