TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^Good eye! Also call me crazy, but if you look just below the red track, there's a suspicious looking set of orange-yellow lines in an out-and-back fashion, with a hammerhead turn around where the flying scooters are, possibly for a hyper coaster?? It fits the location where the cross section put it.

That definitely looks like an out and back hyper!

Initially I thought the hyper was basically following the course of Delta Flyer/Eagle's Flight... but the more I look at it, it looks like it would be about 20 feet or so away from it but otherwise running parallel. If they're planning to keep it then it would offer some pretty sick views of the hyper. If they're not then this plan sucks, hand me a protest sign so I can go hang out with the Prudental execs at the next hearing and bitch about noise levels or something.

I can only imagine how cool it would be to take the skyride with a massive B&M rushing past you. It would certainly be a sight to see. I'm really hoping that this dream will come true, this park deserves a big coaster. I'm assuming it will be one of the earlier additions to the expansion (hopefully between 2018-2020), as it was one of the first additions we heard of, but even if it takes a while to get here it would be a fantastic fit for CGA.

All of this news is fantastic for CGA. Ever since I heard about the rumored hyper a few years back and now being in a plan to actually get built (eventually). I've always pictured a carowinds intimidator but without the weird seating and have the 4 across instead.

^Yeah, I could see CGA going with the older seating design, as it is a bit friendlier to more compact designs. with CGA being a smaller park, it could make more sense to build a hyper with that configuration. Plus, after riding a couple hypers with both the old and new configurations (Intimidator, Diamondback, Nitro, and Apollo), I do not really think that the newer one adds much more to a ride compared to the older one. If anything, I would rather see B&M use something like the Skyrush style seats.

One thing I do like about the new style trains is the feeling of more openness and freedom of the staggered seats compared to the 4-in-row seats. However, I don't have any real preference. I personally believe that if the coaster is built, they will use the new style, but only because the other Cedar Fair B&M hypers do and it may be easier to just be consistent across parks. It will be interesting to see what they do

So I was watching the council meeting video (
) and noticed something in one of the slides being shown. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the pdf on the Santa Clara website so I just took a screenshot.

Is that a red coaster track I see over Rip Roaring Rapids?

The track layout for that red coaster looks similar to X-Flight at SFGAm.

) and noticed something in one of the slides being shown. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the pdf on the Santa Clara website so I just took a screenshot.

From the looks of it, that is X-Flight imposed on a map of CGA

From the looks of it, that is X-Flight imposed on a map of CGA

How ironic would it be if CGA got a copy of a ride at it's former sister park??? Lol

Since they had all of that great blue paint lying around and a painting crew on site, it looks like the Skyway towers got some love also.

C3cj_pjVMAEL3a-.jpg:large

From the park's Twitter

It's honestly bigger news than it seems like given the master plan that was presented to the board that's currently being discussed in this thread. It left the future of the old Vom Roll in doubt, so aesthetic improvements like this are a good sign.

So it looks like Maggie Brown's is getting an upgrade/slight name change, and will start serving BBQ.

From CGA's Facebook:

The famous fried chicken will still be served at Maggie’s, but the official name is now Maggie’s Smokehouse & Fried Chicken. Why? Because Maggie’s will now also serve amazing BBQ favorites like smoked tri tip and pulled pork, an incredible rotisserie chicken and more. On select days, both beef and pork ribs will be on the menu.

16427576_10154496550278155_8997547660069644124_n.jpg?oh=02bc405550be07ce33c85e44e53fc743&oe=58FF419F

Should be rather interesting.

I believe according to one of the concept plans here, it looks like Delta Flyer/Eagle's Flight is here to stay (for now)

This is the image that's casting doubt (though I think it could still fit in here).

I just realized that there appears to be a new ride in this picture where Invertigo used to be (right edge, opposite end of the access road from Vortex/Patriot). Maybe that's where they could be putting the impulse coaster they mentioned in their presentation...

PicsArt_02-08-08_28_03.jpg.53f521ee50706c3149bbcb3790111afd.jpg

While it is by no means super accurate, I combined the blurry image from the slideshow and the crisp picture outlining the marketplace and highlighted some key elements to make it easier to see. I took particular care on the the skyride as well as the possible hyper coaster and as you can see they are separated by a passable amount. Another thing I did happen to notice though was that in the top-right corner, Woodstock Express is overlayed on top of what appears to be a slide tower. I'm wondering if we could see its removal as part of the expansion

[attachment=0]PicsArt_02-08-08.28.03.jpg[/attachment]

While it is by no means super accurate, I combined the blurry image from the slideshow and the crisp picture outlining the marketplace and highlighted some key elements to make it easier to see. I took particular care on the the skyride as well as the possible hyper coaster and as you can see they are separated by a passable amount. Another thing I did happen to notice though was that in the top-right corner, Woodstock Express is overlayed on top of what appears to be a slide tower. I'm wondering if we could see its removal as part of the expansion

One of the presentations (the one I wrote about here, same as the fuzzy photo presentation) did mention two potential family coasters, the suspended flying one and a mini wooden coaster. If they actually added both those I could see Woodstock being removed.