TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Maybe I just fit in the restraints differently but I haven't found Vortex to be nearly as headbanging as something like Kong or Revolution. It's not the greatest coaster, but I don't dislike it. I'd tolerate 10-20min lines if I hadn't ridden it in a while.

The last time I was there prior to this past Sunday was back when it was still owned by Paramount. I was surprised to see that they removed Invertigo in favor of a patch of grass. It does not make sense to me that a Park would want to remove a really awesome coaster and not replace it with something better. Or even replace it with anything.

The last time I was there prior to this past Sunday was back when it was still owned by Paramount. I was surprised to see that they removed Invertigo in favor of a patch of grass. It does not make sense to me that a Park would want to remove a really awesome coaster and not replace it with something better. Or even replace it with anything.

Exactly, you are not alone in thinking that.

If CGA continues in its trend with adding coasters just to move them to another park then we better not get to used to Gold Striker because it will end up who knows where in a couple of years from now.

To be fair, Cedar Fair only relocated 1 ride. Paramount was the one who removed several classics. Even Orlean's Orbit was on the verge of being gone as I believe it sat dormant through the 2006 season. It was running again in 2007 when Cedar Fair had the reigns.

I love the unique sound it makes. It's the one ride that no matter where it is, I know exactly what it is.

I had a great time at the Coasting for Kids event this past Sunday. It was very well organized, and a lot of fun. They really did a great job at organizing it this year. We got first rides on Gold Striker, which was and awesome surprise benefit, and had the second row saved for us the whole event. Some people were able to get the same number of rides for the entire 8 hours last year in just 4 hours this year! The lunch was a chicken dinner, and it was really really good. Then, they gave us each an enormous funnel cake! I think they were really trying to see who would vomit first! We were able to raise a ton of money for a great charity, and had an absolute blast! I ended up getting 45 rides on Flight Deck, and 40 rides on Vortex! Can't wait to do it again next year! Thanks a ton to CGA and Coasting for Kids!

I love the unique sound it makes. It's the one ride that no matter where it is, I know exactly what it is.

I had a great time at the Coasting for Kids event this past Sunday. It was very well organized, and a lot of fun. They really did a great job at organizing it this year. We got first rides on Gold Striker, which was and awesome surprise benefit, and had the second row saved for us the whole event. Some people were able to get the same number of rides for the entire 8 hours last year in just 4 hours this year! The lunch was a chicken dinner, and it was really really good. Then, they gave us each an enormous funnel cake! I think they were really trying to see who would vomit first! We were able to raise a ton of money for a great charity, and had an absolute blast! I ended up getting 45 rides on Flight Deck, and 40 rides on Vortex! Can't wait to do it again next year! Thanks a ton to CGA and Coasting for Kids!

I second your thoughts about Coasting for Kids. Big shout out to CGA for extending us such a warm welcome for the event.

You are definitely a trooper for going the entire time on Vortex! What was your secret?

I don't no how you stayed on Vortex so long. For me being only 5'3", my head falls right in the middle of the resraints. After 3 rounds I had a headache and my ears were sore. Enough so I had to stop for my own well being. So I applaud your success. Well done!

One thing you see with Cedar Fair is that they try to keep rides running as long as possible. In addition to Orbit, Paramount was going to close the Skylab (Enterprise) at Canada's Wonderland and Move Kings Dominion's Flight of Fear to another park. Any other former troublesome Paramount rides were removed shortly after the acquisition. (Son of Beast—with more reasons of course, Tomb Raider, Hypersonic and The Flying Super Saturator)

One thing you see with Cedar Fair is that they try to keep rides running as long as possible. In addition to Orbit, Paramount was going to close the Skylab (Enterprise) at Canada's Wonderland and Move Kings Dominion's Flight of Fear to another park. Any other former troublesome Paramount rides were removed shortly after the acquisition. (Son of Beast—with more reasons of course, Tomb Raider, Hypersonic and The Flying Super Saturator)

Ya...I agree 100%. Look at how long it took to get rid of that lemon, Avalanche Run/Disaster Transport. The only reason they removed it was for space reasons and to put something better in it's place.

...I think people who only know Cedar Fair from their experience with CGA judge it because they removed Invertigo. We all know 2 things led to that ride's removal; the aftermath of the nationally publicized ride being stuck incident left the ride unmarketable here, and the impending sale pushed by Dick Kinzel where they felt it was the one ride they should keep for themselves at another park.

Cedar Fair didn't remove anything for Goldstriker, Firefall, or any the wave pool expansion. Paramount and Kings are the bastard companies guilty of removing everything cool; Stealth, the train, the trolley, triple wheel, the edge (okay, that one I don't miss), triple play, whizzer, yankee clipper, the lobster, skyhawk, the tidal wave (and not to mention every ounce of theming that existed at the park.) They had a weird concept that you had to operate with minimal attractions to keep costs down...no "you built it, they will come" initiative like you see at Cedar Fair Parks.

Ya...I agree 100%. Look at how long it took to get rid of that lemon, Avalanche Run/Disaster Transport. The only reason they removed it was for space reasons and to put something better in it's place.

...I think people who only know Cedar Fair from their experience with CGA judge it because they removed Invertigo. We all know 2 things led to that ride's removal; the aftermath of the nationally publicized ride being stuck incident left the ride unmarketable here, and the impending sale pushed by Dick Kinzel where they felt it was the one ride they should keep for themselves at another park.

Cedar Fair didn't remove anything for Goldstriker, Firefall, or any the wave pool expansion. Paramount and Kings are the bastard companies guilty of removing everything cool; Stealth, the train, the trolley, triple wheel, the edge (okay, that one I don't miss), triple play, whizzer, yankee clipper, the lobster, skyhawk, the tidal wave (and not to mention every ounce of theming that existed at the park.) They had a weird concept that you had to operate with minimal attractions to keep costs down...no "you built it, they will come" initiative like you see at Cedar Fair Parks.

That is probably why Paramount is no longer in the theme park industry.

That is probably why Paramount is no longer in the theme park industry.

Paramount are no longer in the industry because around 2004 or so, Paramount was sold to CBS, who had no real interest in running the parks, so they put them on the market. As a Ohioan, the only bad thing about having two large parks 4 hours away under the Cedar Fair umbrella is that when they build "big" rides, they alternate. Cedar point and "Paramounts" Kings Island would build stuff nearly every year—not that they competed that much (a little bit in certain markets, like Columbus for example, where I live), but each park was in a specific market that justified putting something new in at least every other year.

I don't find it a coincidence one bit that that Kentucky Kingdom is trying to reopen in 2014 and we are seeing ground work going on at both Holiday World and Kings Island.

From California's Great America's Facebook:

"How many times have you ridden Gold Striker??? Jeff and James just rode it for the 100th time!!! Congrats guys…"

Congrats Guys! Did you know you were going to be on their Facebook?

474787_10151499045168155_1244737323_o.jpg

Thanks! CGA was on hand for our 100th ride and personally took the photo, a huge thanks to Tyler & the GM, Raul Rehnborg for their outstanding hospitality! Looking forward to next 100+ rides, I still can't get enough!

1332876418_GOLDSTRIKER100.thumb.jpg.25250d5319018fdfb07275d5a000b454.jpg

Happy 100th Ride Photo!

I just visited CGA on saturday, and I finally got to ride Gold Striker for the first time! Not only did it live up to my expectations, but it even exceeded it! I was able to ride it about four times (the last time was at night). I also decided to check out the live shows since the new On Broadway show premiered on that day. I thought that On Broadway was a pretty entertaining show, even though I wasn't familiar with most of the songs (I'm not much of a musical buff). I also decided to check out Happiness is Snoopy, and I found the first half to be a bit lacking, but by the second half it got more interesting.

I also found out some really interesting, yet really dumb, information about why the storage bins at the Logger's Run and Rip Roaring Rapids were removed. According to ride op at RRR, they were removed because of the park's transition from Paramount to Cedar Fair. I find this story to be really stupid. Why would Cedar Fair remove those storage bins?! They had a purpose to be there: it was so that the guests' belongings wouldn't get soaked or drenched. It blows my mind that CF would do such a thing!

I also found out some really interesting, yet really dumb, information about why the storage bins at the Logger's Run and Rip Roaring Rapids were removed. According to ride op at RRR, they were removed because of the park's transition from Paramount to Cedar Fair. I find this story to be really stupid. Why would Cedar Fair remove those storage bins?! They had a purpose to be there: it was so that the guests' belongings wouldn't get soaked or drenched. It blows my mind that CF would do such a thing!

...hmm, I'm not sure that's the reason those were removed. I'd be willing to bet money they were getting quite a bit of theft coming from those things. Think about leaving your goods there for 5-10 minutes while dozens of people walk by your stuff just sitting there on display. As I remember, they tried to do the on board storage bags on the rafts at RRRapids.

...hmm, I'm not sure that's the reason those were removed. I'd be willing to bet money they were getting quite a bit of theft coming from those things. Think about leaving your goods there for 5-10 minutes while dozens of people walk by your stuff just sitting there on display. As I remember, they tried to do the on board storage bags on the rafts at RRRapids.

RRR did have those (somewhat useless) compartments at the center of the grab-wheel. I honestly don't think you could have even fit 1 backpack in there, let alone 6 riders all having bags with them.

I do remember when both rides did have the little cubbies to put your goods in and then visiting the following season to find out we have to take our goods onboard...the only thing we could leave behind on the platform were (full) souvenir cups. I'm not complaining though, with that many logs going through, theft seems extremely likely. I usually have a plastic bag in my backpack that I put critical things into as to prevent any unwanted wetness.

I noticed last weekend that Gold Striker now has 2 sets of bins...2 for Train A and 2 for Train B. You have 1 set (A&B) at the front end and another set further back. This hugely relieves congestion and should help speed up operations. Though most people don't think about it, in our group we usually have 1 person take both bags up to the bin as that's 1 person less that is creating a crowd around the bins. It actually helps a lot, and you can save the row should people behind you decide to up and take your seats.

Firefall's bin...it's a plastic storage box that sits at the entrance. While I'm glad I don't have to leave my goods stashed at a planter box behind some shrubs, I still feel uneasy with having a bin out in the open in a high-ish traffic area. I typically only ride Firefall when there's 1 member of the party who doesn't like Firefall/won't ride it is present...I feel safer actually having someone from our group watch our goods.

During my visits last week, they added a second storage bin to go along with the cubbies at Grizzly, though when I passed by FireFall they removed the plastic storage bin located at the front of where the fast lane attendant stands, not sure why...