TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Ok next time I walk by that area where the Clipper station used to be I'll give it a moment of silence to remember & reflect & think back to the good ol Clipper days. So it was directly across from that big green windy slide that's always the only slide open in Jackaroo Landing? & What did Jackaroo Landing used to be-just a pond where the Clipper floated over & all that cement pavement in Boomerang Bay was where the Clipper track was? I don't remember the Clipper that much. It was a mirror image of Logger's Run except a different drop? 1998 was the last time I went on it. I remember getting stuck on the top part but only for like 10 min. I wish I could go to the Chicago park to ride the Clipper & the original Logger's Run layout. Relive those memories. Logger's Run feels so bare now without the Clipper & the nicely landscaped tree scenery you floated by. & Oh I thought the Edge was behind where that purple gate is next to the go carts.

If anyone remembered on Sunday the ride op talking through the cue line that was me. My attitude is that I don't want to wait in a long line so why would other guests.

What ride do you operate? Sorry, if this has been mentioned before.

The Edge area is now a go kart track, so I'm afraid not. I did notice that the soaking waterfall was off when I did the Rapids, though I was already soaked prior to riding. Also agreed, I like the double dip on the Logger's run, gives a nice amount of air as well as the White Water Falls.

About Yankee Clipper...I don't have a diagram but the station I believe sat at to the left of the Jackaroo Landing structure, or possibly behind the restaurant, where it's just a pond now. Could be wrong though, but picturing where the drop ends, it makes sense.

That is correct, that is where the Yankee Clipper station was is it was sort of a mirror image of the Logger's Run and the drop on Yankee Clipper was unique in that it went straight down, as opposed to Logger's double dip, with a little jump at the bottom after the drop eneded. The neat thing about Demon for us ride ops was on Saturday when the park opened, we sometimes would start with two trains (but usually all three). Then as the day got busier, usually around noon, WE plus a supervisor, were actually the ones that would add the third train, it was awesome. I always thaough it was kind of funny how when all thre trains would stack, the last train would be stopped partly on the turn before the transfer track, it had to stop it there as if it stopped on the level transfer track we would have to go push it into the station!

Ahh good times!

Is the transfer track slanted backward meaning that if another train stopped there it would roll backwards? Just curious.

If anyone remembered on Sunday the ride op talking through the cue line that was me. My attitude is that I don't want to wait in a long line so why would other guests.

What ride do you operate? Sorry, if this has been mentioned before.

The Edge area is now a go kart track, so I'm afraid not. I did notice that the soaking waterfall was off when I did the Rapids, though I was already soaked prior to riding. Also agreed, I like the double dip on the Logger's run, gives a nice amount of air as well as the White Water Falls.

About Yankee Clipper...I don't have a diagram but the station I believe sat at to the left of the Jackaroo Landing structure, or possibly behind the restaurant, where it's just a pond now. Could be wrong though, but picturing where the drop ends, it makes sense.

That is correct, that is where the Yankee Clipper station was is it was sort of a mirror image of the Logger's Run and the drop on Yankee Clipper was unique in that it went straight down, as opposed to Logger's double dip, with a little jump at the bottom after the drop eneded. The neat thing about Demon for us ride ops was on Saturday when the park opened, we sometimes would start with two trains (but usually all three). Then as the day got busier, usually around noon, WE plus a supervisor, were actually the ones that would add the third train, it was awesome. I always thaough it was kind of funny how when all thre trains would stack, the last train would be stopped partly on the turn before the transfer track, it had to stop it there as if it stopped on the level transfer track we would have to go push it into the station!

Ahh good times!

Is the transfer track slanted backward meaning that if another train stopped there it would roll backwards? Just curious.

I work at Flight Deck, sometimes you will see me at delta flyer and rue le dodge as well.

I work at Flight Deck, sometimes you will see me at delta flyer and rue le dodge as well.

Is it possible to get a round trip on Delta Flyer or is that kind of request frowned upon. I could probably ride that all day. I'm always bummed that it closes so early

Is it possible to get a round trip on Delta Flyer or is that kind of request frowned upon. I could probably ride that all day. I'm always bummed that it closes so early

Yes you can. Make sure who ever loads you in the cabin calls the other side. I believe it's like any other ride, ride it twice then have to get off and stand in line.

ABW,

The track from the trim brakes to the lift has a downward slope except for the transfer track, which is level and the reason for that is you have to push the trains on and off the track by hand so the track has to be level as there are no drive tires or anything to move the train, it must be done by hand. So, if train #1 is in the station that block is occupied which means train #2 would stop just behind it and occupy that block which means train #3 would be stopped before the transfer track so that when it is released from the brakes, it will have enough momentum to roll through the transfer track area and make it to the station. It was actually kind of fun doing it too, I kind of miss that.

Ok next time I walk by that area where the Clipper station used to be I'll give it a moment of silence to remember & reflect & think back to the good ol Clipper days. So it was directly across from that big green windy slide that's always the only slide open in Jackaroo Landing? & What did Jackaroo Landing used to be-just a pond where the Clipper floated over & all that cement pavement in Boomerang Bay was where the Clipper track was? I don't remember the Clipper that much. It was a mirror image of Logger's Run except a different drop? 1998 was the last time I went on it. I remember getting stuck on the top part but only for like 10 min. I wish I could go to the Chicago park to ride the Clipper & the original Logger's Run layout. Relive those memories. Logger's Run feels so bare now without the Clipper & the nicely landscaped tree scenery you floated by. & Oh I thought the Edge was behind where that purple gate is next to the go carts.

If you look in the bottom middle of the picture, you can see both Logger's and Clipper's layouts as well as where Yankee Clipper's station was....this is from greatamericaparks.com

I can't believe how much it's changed. It's real, real, real sad. I get teary eyed looking at the lake around Logger's Run & The Clipper & now The Clipper has been long gone & the lake has been paved over w/cement since that is where Boomerang Bay sits. I feel sick to my stomach looking at those old pictures. But SFGA's flumes are still the original layout & still over the lake & through nicely landscaped tree areas so it looks like it was back in 1976? & How were those 2 hills on the Turn Of The Century? I would assume they were much better than those brutal loops. I'd wish they would bring those hills back! They looked like fun.

I believe a little 'jump' was put at the end of the Yankee Clipper because of one time it had hydroplaned. The actual removal was done so Stealth can come in. An interesting thing on the Logger's is that on some of the supports to the upper flume have a weird "C-shape" section. This was due to having some kind of clearance for the track turning into the station.

^Worked today as the closing supervisor for Demon. It was cold and rainy, and the park closed early. Oh well, it happens sometimes.

Update for everyone: Friday through Sunday, July 1-3, we are open from 10 AM to 10 PM. There's gonna be fireworks Saturday and Sunday July 2 and 3. Come check it out if you want to.

Great America can become a fantastic park with a budget under $10 million.

How to do it:

Right now, these are the roller coasters in Great America:

1 Standout - Top Gun/Flight Deck

3 Average - Grizzly, Demon, Psycho Mouse

1 Below Average - Vortex

First, Vortex has to become a floorless coaster because the roughness is the train because the track is fine since its the same type of track as Top Gun/Flight Deck. The floorless trains won't make it a standout, but a very good coaster. Grizzly can be transformed by Rocky Mountain, GCI, Gravity Group, or Intamin by taking out some of the track in the missle and putting in some air-time hills. This can also make Grizzly another very good coaster. Demon could have the new Vekoma trains that they put on Carolina Cobra that can fit on Arrow track, this can eliminate the roughness. This will make Demon a very good coaster.

After doing all of that, Great America HAS to put in a new coaster, no new coasters for 10 years is terrible, and Top Gun is the last big coaster built making the last big coaster 18 years old! They can put in a unique, cheap coaster in Great America such as an X-Car Sky Loop coaster or a ZacSpin coaster.

This can make Great America have

1-3 standouts (if the new coaster is a standout and if Grizzly is transformed properly)

2 - 4 very good (depending on Grizzly and new coaster)

1 average (Psycho Mouse can stay the way it is, it is popular and fun for the family crowds)

Instead of doing this, it's sad that Cedar Fair won't probably do anything except attempt to sell the park.

I heard that the building that is the enterance to Didgeridoo Falls, Down Under Thunder, and Tasmanian Typhoon is actually Stealth's station. It seems like it's there for no reason.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

For those who want to ride Vortex, I have some tips to have less headbanging.

Step 1: Ride in the front, other rows are rougher.

Step 2: Put your head as far forward as possible during the ride.

Step 3: It doesn't matter what seat in the front row you're in.

Step 4: Have fun! (or try to have fun )

CGA just announced Coasting for Kids 2011. Take a coaster ride for charity. Don't miss the 3rd Annual Coasting for Kids on Sunday, July 24th. This unique fundraiser allows you to take on Flight Deck as many times as you would like and raise money for this special organization.

CGA just announced Coasting for Kids 2011. Take a coaster ride for charity. Don't miss the 3rd Annual Coasting for Kids on Sunday, July 24th. This unique fundraiser allows you to take on Flight Deck as many times as you would like and raise money for this special organization.

Wow, I want to attend. It's good that it's not Vortex.