TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

If 11 million is the total cost of the coaster, which I could not really tell from the article, then that is probably not enough for a hyper. Just by looking at various sites, Floorless coasters and B&M Loopers are usually within that cost range, though some are a bit more and I did not factor inflation for the older ones. If this is truly the total cost, then a B&M Floorless or Looper is more in line with the cost. But, I would not totally panic at this point if you want a hyper at Carowinds.

If 11 million is the total cost of the coaster, which I could not really tell from the article, then that is probably not enough for a hyper. Just by looking at various sites, Floorless coasters and B&M Loopers are usually within that cost range, though some are a bit more and I did not factor inflation for the older ones. If this is truly the total cost, then a B&M Floorless or Looper is more in line with the cost. But, I would not totally panic at this point if you want a hyper at Carowinds.

$11 million is not the total cost of the ride from what i've heard. The track and layout definitely point to a hyper coaster.

Oh, Okay thanks, I was not sure. In that case, I wonder if the hyper will feature the same trains that are on Diamondback and Behemoth or revert back to the old design which many people prefer.

Good question. Not sure. I believe the total cost of the ride is $25 million though.

Oh, Okay thanks, I was not sure. In that case, I wonder if the hyper will feature the same trains that are on Diamondback and Behemoth or revert back to the old design which many people prefer.

Good question. Not sure. I believe the total cost of the ride is $25 million though.

They just posted on Screamscape that the coaster would cost roughly $11 million do to the fact they are building in South Carolina thus getting a large tax break.

I can 100% guarantee it will feature the latest trains, as they are the Mk2 versions, why would a company spend money developing a better experience then revert back to the older design?!

That would be like BMW spending millions on a new version of the M3 car then building last years version instead!

They just posted on Screamscape that the coaster would cost roughly $11 million do to the fact they are building in South Carolina thus getting a large tax break.

To date, Carowinds has spent about $14 million on that section of the park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/08/17/daily12.html

On what is my question. If on the new ride, then it would be $25 million. $14+$11=$25 That's where my figure came from and would be about right for a hyper with the down construction costs.

I can 100% guarantee it will feature the latest trains, as they are the Mk2 versions, why would a company spend money developing a better experience then revert back to the older design?!

That would be like BMW spending millions on a new version of the M3 car then building last years version instead!

Well, they did come out with the floorless trains and still made trains with floors after that design...

I do think they will use the regular 4 across seating on a hyper/mega coaster because some coasters wouldnt be able to handle the \/ designed trains being they would be too long if the coaster isnt that tall, like hollywood dreams. I dont think it would be feasible to add the \/ seating trains to it.

Well, they did come out with the floorless trains and still made trains with floors after that design...

I do think they will use the regular 4 across seating on a hyper/mega coaster because some coasters wouldnt be able to handle the \/ designed trains being they would be too long if the coaster isnt that tall, like hollywood dreams. I dont think it would be feasible to add the \/ seating trains to it.

Wha? Floorless trains and trains with floors are apples and oranges by comparison. Those are two distinctly different types of coaster trains.

Wha? Floorless trains and trains with floors are apples and oranges by comparison. Those are two distinctly different types of coaster trains.

Please explain to me how they are that much different than the obvious, one having a floor and one not having a floor...

A flyer train is different than a stand up train I can agree but I dont see much different between a floorless train and a non floorless train...

The idea of a Floorless Train is more terrifying than a floored one, a Floorless Coaster is a completely different type of coaster than a standard sit down one, B&M have said this themselves in early interviews, the idea of az floorless coaster was to create a type similar to an inverted coaster, but to not have the track above you.

Check this link out, proof it was not a train change for the sit down coaster, otherwise it would not be listed as a seperate product.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/products/products_en.aspx

Originally a Dive Coaster had 8 across seating, they then reviewed the situation and on further coasters used a 10 across seating pattern, then converted it to a floorless, all further dive coasters will have a 10 across seating arrangement, they would not go back to an 8 across seating arrangement, because that is moving back in technology, not forwards.

the typical 4 across Hyper train design is old technology, the idea of the V design train is to give everyone the feeling of being near to the edge of the train, it is moving forwards in technology, they will keep this design until a newer better design is discovered.

It would be like Nokia going back to the 3210 mobile because it was more reliable and easier to use than the latest mobiles, it will never happen, because that would be moving backwards in technology!

*edited to add link*

I am not familiar with the Carowind's map and where the ride is being built but will the ride cross over the state line? That 11 million might just be for the one state side.

Perhaps they're getting a hyper lite? seeing as how KD's coaster is certainly more than double the $11 million price tag that CW's is.

The V trains can make the ride more enjoyable because of the outside seats, but the logistics of opearing those trains make it not worth it IMO. I havent ben on Diamondback but have been on Behemoth, and there were just way too many empty seats. The overall amount of confused guests/people refusing to ride in seats that arent together slows the capacity too much IMO (coming from a former DejaVu operator )

The idea of a Floorless Train is more terrifying than a floored one, a Floorless Coaster is a completely different type of coaster than a standard sit down one, B&M have said this themselves in early interviews, the idea of az floorless coaster was to create a type similar to an inverted coaster, but to not have the track above you.

I disagree completely. I dont think sitting in a hyper train is all that different from a floorless, I dont think floorless is any more terrifying and the experience is not that similar to an invert.

Floorless trains are just a gimmick to me.

Please explain to me how they are that much different than the obvious, one having a floor and one not having a floor...

A flyer train is different than a stand up train I can agree but I dont see much different between a floorless train and a non floorless train...

AndyUK explained the difference using BMW as an example and you just said it yourself. "That much different" equals not the same. In other words, the two (floorless & non-floorless) are mutually exclusive. That doesn't mean there are not similarities, but they are different in the way the station is designed, the loading area, etc.

B&M redesigned their hyper train with v-seating to enhance the riders experience by creating a more open car and better viewing, right? So why would they use the old style? I suppose they would if the park wanted the old style, but seeing that the two latest CF B&M hypers have the new and improved style, i would say its safe to assume that carowinds new coaster will use the v-seating trains. I'm just using logic here...so until the announcement this is all just reasoning and speculation.

I am not familiar with the Carowind's map and where the ride is being built but will the ride cross over the state line? That 11 million might just be for the one state side.

Perhaps they're getting a hyper lite? seeing as how KD's coaster is certainly more than double the $11 million price tag that CW's is.

Possible but I doubt it. The $11 million isn't the total price tag either.

^^ Thank You, at least someone understood me!

Another way of explaining it....

I work in the electrical retail industry, selling TV's and Washing Machines etc....

For example, Samsung do 7 different series of LCD's and Plasma, so what exactly would the difference be between a 40" Full HD 5 series and a 40" Full HD 6 Series???? Not a great deal, 100Hz, and Internet TV Widgets being the primary ones, but essentially it is the same TV, so why does it cost £250 more than the 5 series? Because it is a different product from the manufacturer, Samsung decide to sell it as such, so therefore it is. B&M class the Floorless as a different coaster than the sit-down, so therefore it is!

I disagree completely. I dont think sitting in a hyper train is all that different from a floorless, I dont think floorless is any more terrifying and the experience is not that similar to an invert.

Floorless trains are just a gimmick to me.

Having ridden Dominator several times the whole "floorless" aspect of the ride has no real impact on me but the ride quality sure does.

Tax breaks don't apply to the manufacturers because it's a state tax matter....B&M are still gonna demand a higher price for a mega coaster than for say a looper or even a small invert.

You gotta love the restraints on B&Ms Hyper Coaster trains, they are obviously are superior to a Floorless Train's OSTRs, but I think if it were to be a floorless hyper coaster, they would do away with those things in favor of the clamshell restraint design. Also, A floorless train on a hyper coaster,in my opinion at least would be much greater than those on loopers because of the additional speed and airtime a hyper provides. My .02 anyway.

I actually think the floorless actually adds to the experience while riding in the front, there is so much air and watching the track under your feet is great, this is not the case if you ride in the middle though.

I would still love to se a floorless hyper with lapbar restraints!!