TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mitchell "Steroid" Baseball report is revealed

BelizeIt

The Cheaters are exposed...............

How pathetic is this list......Clemens!!!, Bonds, Tejada, Gagne, Palmerio, Sheffield, Troy Glaus, Gary Mathews....Etc....

My God a total of 16 Yankees!!! Past and present! All of their so-called achievements were done with the use of performance enhancing drugs!

One can only hope that the "current" generation of players will avoid the mistakes of the past.

Sadly, those "worthless" players will do (or cheat) whatever it takes to win, I hope the current younger generation will just use their abilities......rather than the syringe.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Exactly.

To be honest, it sounds like the only people that were raising a fuss are the politicians. Baseball owners want players to perform for them because that's what they're paying them for. They know the deal, just enjoy the game.

Have they done a similar report for football? Lord, I hope not... that list would be too long! There's no way that many guys can get that big without steroids.

Terry

I have purposefully avoided this story. I can't stand witch hunts and the orgies of false piety that ride in their wake.

The pressure placed upon athletes is beyond our comprehension. Sports fans demand god-like performances and then hypocritically lash out in righteous indignation when athletes do what it takes to muster up these inhuman acts.

Like it or not, the human body has a finite capacity for athleticism. Sports records often represent the fringe of what is humanly possible. It should come as no surprise then that breaking these records demands pharmaceutical enhancement.

This story reminds me of the so-called scandal with Kate Moss's cocaine use a few years back. People feigned shock and disgust that a 30-something model required hard drugs to maintain her prepubescent physique.

Well, now ya know. Magglio is one of the best effing AL hitters and doesn't use any juice, and Sheffield ergh....dunno what to say there.

But Polanco and Ordonez are talented guys and they don't use any of that crap! and I do believe 6 FORMER Tigers were on the list, which personally shames me as a fan and at least it wasn't as bad as the Yankees at 16!! HA!

I'm with Curt Schilling on this one. It's not so much the fact that pro athletes are being busted for juicing (although I don't wanna downplay the significance). It's the fact that common laws evidently don't apply to them.

Sorry, but if my employer caught me using any one of these illegal substances, do you think I'd be offered a $12 million signing bonus next season?

Scott "if you think you're that good, prove it on a level playing field" B.

EDIT: One more thought.....the biggest crime in baseball was actually committed by the fans of San Francisco over the last decade. By obviously turning heads and supporting that moron, they proved to be the worst fans in professional sports. How any one of them can be proud of themselves is a mystery to me.

Actually I agree with him that batting is mostly hand-eye. Anyone can hit a fastball (go to a batting cage and get a wheel spinning at 75mph - maybe at first you won't contact but soon enough you will be able to catch up), but it takes skill to hit a breaking ball. Skill that is based largely on being able to follow the ball.* To me the only difference is that where someone fairly weak like me would be ripping pitches for extra bases in the gaps, these juiced guys may be more likely to get the ball over the fence.

* So, with that said, should wearing contacts or getting lasik also be considered "performance enhancments"?

I am sorry to bust your bubbly Tiger fans, but how do you know its not Magglio? With this report, you have to suspect anyone who all of a sudden has a monster year or years after just being ok to start. Not to mention once they started having tests, he started getting knicked up a lot. I am in no way saying he is on it, but you have to think about every player who blows up now. This report only had 3 witness' testimony. This is only a very, very, small amount of people who have used.

The report was a serious dissapointment for me, all it really was stuff we have heard of, or former players. It really didn't scratch the surface. It will be interesting to see if these raids that are going on in clinics across the country does something better.

• 1 month later...

While I'm going to keep my opinion on the steroid version of the "Om, I'm telling" Report to myself (because it honestly is only my opinion, and a great many people have found it offensive), I think the report, in and of itself, is a fascinating example of how the war on drugs hasn't been won (nor will it ever; where there is demand, there is supply. common economics) but it has made inroads in places no one has expected.

I can't speak from experience in the sports industry, but in professional theatre, there is a lot of what is known as "pick me ups." When you're performing 9 shows a week, every week, for 6-12 months, and your entire contract rides on every show, that sort of stress is dangerous if not debilitating.

I'm not condoning the use of steroids or any controlled substance..at all. I do understand from a professional perspective though how stress, competitive industry, and planned obsolescence can drive a person to "pick them up."

• 2 weeks later...

I had to endure watching the congressional hearings today during lunch, since someone lost the remote to the flatscreen tv at work. It's funny to watch these politicians grandstanding thinking that doing a "who's lying" bit is going to help anything.

Busting people years after the fact isn't going to help when there's so much at stake as far as the competition between players, endorsement deals, salaries, etc. There's too much money at stake for this problem to go away. The senators and congressmen want to make sure that they idolize the right people, I say put the focus on professional and scientific workers. I still think it's a shame that teachers are so underpaid and athletes are way overpaid. If we can get younger kids to look up to people that use their minds rather than athletes and entertainment industry celebrities that can't stay clean to save their lives, they may find use of narcotics and "enhancers" may be reduced. But that's too hard for them to do, thus we have to take the easy way out.

Oh well.

Terry