TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

^ The transfer track looks like the Phantom's transfer track basically, so I don't see the big deal.

I am glad that they continue to press on with the construction. We have been lucking out with the weather it seems, but it doesn't make a difference to me if it gets done for opening day or not. Good for the park if it does, but I am not planning on going until June or August at the latest.

^ The transfer track looks like the Phantom's transfer track basically, so I don't see the big deal.

I am glad that they continue to press on with the construction. We have been lucking out with the weather it seems, but it doesn't make a difference to me if it gets done for opening day or not. Good for the park if it does, but I am not planning on going until June or August at the latest.

Not particularly...Phantom's transfer track is not part of the station. Sky Rocket's transfer track is INSIDE the station basically and the track that the train sits on while it loads is the same track that will be utilized for the transfer track.

Not particularly...Phantom's transfer track is not part of the station. Sky Rocket's transfer track is INSIDE the station basically and the track that the train sits on while it loads is the same track that will be utilized for the transfer track.

I think the track will operate the same as Correcaminos: Bip Bip coaster at Parque Warner, in Madrid. The station is also the transfer track. Actuall, the whole section shifts to the left to align with the transfer section.

See:

Source: "NoLimitsProjects"

Well we're down to about a 30 day window.

Since Kennywood has stated that it WILL be open for CoasterCon (the ACE event flyer has not been updated to reflect this), we might as well say it's a 20 day window.

I don't know, it's looking like it may be possible for opening weekend but at the same time that can go wide and be a miss. There's a lot of testing that has to be done once construction is finished up, I can't remember if PA has a Amusement Park/Carnival Safety Group but if they do there's that also to factor in. Since everything would have to be signed off on before it could be opened to the general public. I'd rather see them miss the opening weekend and have it done right rather then see KP go threw a hellish problem like Top Thrill did.

It is nice to see a good bit of progress being made though and with any luck sometime in May we'll all have a new coaster to break in!

...and I still think that track is tiny looking!

So their control room will be a shipping container? I don't think I've heard of that before.

It's actually pretty common. I305's Control Room wasn't much more than a shipping container.

It's in the lower right hand corner of this picture behind the transfer track:

Just a portable building made somewhat permanent.

One thing that I have never really understood is why there are e-stops on the outside of the computer boxes inside the control room. If there is a reason that the ride needed to be stopped, A) no one would be able to see it really and B)the computer should be stopping the ride anyways. Just something on my mind.

I'd imagine those e-stops are there for programming and testing purposes. Obviously, the ride has to be programmed at some point, making it a good idea to have an e-stop handy in case the code doesn't work. For example, I know from talking with people that the Racer had it's fair share of glitches and coding errors last year when it's new computer was being programmed. I even heard that it blew through the station once without the brakes ever engaging.

One thing that I have never really understood is why there are e-stops on the outside of the computer boxes inside the control room. If there is a reason that the ride needed to be stopped, A) no one would be able to see it really and B)the computer should be stopping the ride anyways. Just something on my mind.

I think it's mostly for lockout. For example, when working with the electrical stuff, they can lock the button so that there is no power to the cabinet.

Found this on youtube, looks to be a pretty accurate recreation.

Eh, it's better then the one Premier provided, but its still not very accurate.

In other news, Kennywood Connection just put up some new pictures, including pictures of the almost complete launch. Check it out:

http://kpconnection.com/cu419.shtml

I've been thinking the entrance out of the tunnel; obviously, won't ever be the same without the turnpike being there and with the Sky Rocket going in it will look completely different. Also the Old Mill (Garfield's Nightmare) is suppose to be re-themed, so that will be different too I guess. I am all for new rides like anyone else, but that area of the park has always been the same, so I am curious as to what it's going to be like with all these changes taking place. The construction pictures don't really show what that area looks like now and it wouldn't matter because the mounds of dirt, concrete, etc. will be gone. All I am saying is regardless of whether the turnpike comes back or not that area won't be the same.

Just an opinion.... Speaking of location, the one bad thing I see about this coaster's location: it's entrance is just steps from the park entrance/exit. This thing is going to have LINES, always, from the minute the park opens until it closes. For many, it will be people's first AND last ride during their visit. This thing may have longer lines than either Phantom ever did.

Just an opinion.... Speaking of location, the one bad thing I see about this coaster's location: it's entrance is just steps from the park entrance/exit. This thing is going to have LINES, always, from the minute the park opens until it closes. For many, it will be people's first AND last ride during their visit. This thing may have longer lines than either Phantom ever did.

That has been thoughts since the day they announced the ride and the location. I can't imagine the log jam of people in this area unless the queue is situated somewhere far away from the tunnel entrance/exit.