TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - D23 announcement roundup for DL and DCA!

Also, is there anything that can be done to not have to pay $17/day each day for parking?

If you stay at one of the hotels surrounding the resort, you can walk in.

Thanks for the suggestions. What about if I flew out earlier (on Thursday night) and got to spend all day Friday, all day Saturday, and maybe till 7PMish on Sunday at Disney? A 3-day pass would also let me have the Magic Morning Hour on Saturday at Disneyland. This should let me take a much more leisurely pace, but I don't know that I really *need* 3 days at the parks. Also, is there anything that can be done to not have to pay $17/day each day for parking?

If everything was open or you hadn't been before, three days would be ideal, but given the current circumstances I'd probably stick with two. The benefit of Magic Morning will be limited as only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open, so unless you want several rides on Space Mountain and/or Star Tours I wouldn't worry about that too much. To avoid the parking fee, stay at a hotel on Harbor Boulevard that's within walking distance of the park.

To avoid the parking fee, stay at a hotel on Harbor Boulevard that's within walking distance of the park.

Not to depress anybody but those hotels are known to charge their own parking fees. It should be cheaper than the park's parking fee but don't expect a freebie.

Thanks for the suggestions. What about if I flew out earlier (on Thursday night) and got to spend all day Friday, all day Saturday, and maybe till 7PMish on Sunday at Disney? A 3-day pass would also let me have the Magic Morning Hour on Saturday at Disneyland. This should let me take a much more leisurely pace, but I don't know that I really *need* 3 days at the parks. Also, is there anything that can be done to not have to pay $17/day each day for parking?

Yes, there is a free "park and ride" lot (Fullerton Park and Ride) underneath were the 5 and 91 freeways interchange. Park there and take LA Metro 460 bus to Disneyland.

It takes 10mins to get to Disneyland and only cost $1.75 per person each way. Buses run every 15-30 min until 1am every day.

You could also go to Fullerton Metrolink/Amtrak train station. Park in the free parking structure and take OCTA bus 543 or 43 to Disneyland.

Its $2.00 per person each way and takes 15-25 mins depending on which bus route you take.

If everything was open or you hadn't been before, three days would be ideal, but given the current circumstances I'd probably stick with two. The benefit of Magic Morning will be limited as only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open, so unless you want several rides on Space Mountain and/or Star Tours I wouldn't worry about that too much. To avoid the parking fee, stay at a hotel on Harbor Boulevard that's within walking distance of the park.

I see the logic in not needing the third day for sure, but I figured it was worth an ask.

I do have another option, however: my boss told me today that I could stay an extra day on the back end (Wed 4/1) if i wanted to. How much better/worse would that be from a crowd standpoint than the preceding weekend?

http://www.rmhtravel.com/disneyland-365-crowd-calendar.html shows that Wed actually being worse than the previous Fri-Sun, but I'd love a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

Friday, March 27, 2015 8 out of 10 8 7 SL

Saturday, March 28, 2015 8 out of 10 8 8 SL SC DX

Sunday, March 29, 2015 9 out of 10 10 8 SL SC DX

Monday, March 30, 2015 10 out of 10 10 10 SL SC

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10 out of 10 10 10 SL SC

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10 out of 10 10 10 SL SC

Disneyland's Innoventions set to close March 31

ANAHEIM – Disneyland’s Innoventions attraction is closing March 31, a Disneyland spokesman said Friday, and rumors are already flying that "Star Wars" attractions could end up there.

"As part of our continuing efforts to offer our guests new magic, we regularly make modifications and enhancements throughout the Disneyland Resort," said John McClintock, a Disneyland spokesman. "We have nothing further to announce at this time."

The Tomorrowland building that houses Innoventions, which has been at Disneyland since 1967, currently holds several Marvel attractions, including the Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man exhibits with their full-size uniforms, a meet-and-greet and a video-game area.

It is also home to Honda’s Asimo humanoid robot, and once featured the rotating Dream Home display on the first floor.

Some are speculating on social media that Disney will do a tie-in attraction with the "Tomorrowland" movie coming out in May. Others are saying Disney may expand the Marvel theme and create a Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters.

Others say it could be the start of creating a long-awaited "Star Wars" Land. Star Tours, a simulator-ride based on the movie franchise, is nearby.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disneyland-653380-star-attraction.html

With the volume of closures at the Disney resort, the remaining attractions get crazy busy. I was there on March 31 a few years back, could not believe how crowded it was mid-week.

With the single rider option and use of the FP, I think however it might be ok even during spring break. If you are doing 3 days, it will give you more than enough time for a pretty complete experience.

Hotel within walking distance of the park is the only way to avoid the parking fees, so look for hotel with parking included.

I am hoping that they do something grand with the Innoventions building, even a clone of the Iron Man attraction from HK would be something. Interesting that they do not give a re-opening date of the building.

I do have another option, however: my boss told me today that I could stay an extra day on the back end (Wed 4/1) if i wanted to. How much better/worse would that be from a crowd standpoint than the preceding weekend?

It definitely won't be better, as the week before Easter is one of the most popular spring break weeks in Southern California. It will probably be about the same as the weekend, or possibly slightly busier since deluxe passes are valid. If you wanted to arrive early and stay late in order to do both Disneyland and SFMM on the trip, you could visit one of the parks on that day, but if you have to pick one or the other I would pick the weekend before.

In regards to Innoventions, it's about time that attraction closed. Other than perhaps Tarzan's Treehouse, it's the worst attraction at Disneyland and is only popular due to the Marvel meet and greets. As for a replacement, I'd like to see an original concept there that isn't tied to one of Disney's franchises, but if not it would be a great place for a Marvel attraction (a clone of the Iron Man Experience could probably be fast-tracked into there and opened by the end of 2016).

That's an awfully large building to work with...hopefully it's for an E-ticket.

Amen to that. Maybe they'll do a Tony Stark/Iron Man version of the Carousel of Progress.

I visited Innoventions once. That was enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the building became some sort of Star Wars or Marvel Super Heroes meet-and-greet.

This is my guess:

Up stairs will be upgraded /additional Marvel attractions. No clue if ASIMO would survive or not. Downstairs, I think will be a cool Disneyland through the years exhibit. But I also think that IF anything is announced at D23 that there will be a section showing the future of Disneyland as well. Also, I hope they fix Tom Morrow and the rotating part of the building for this exhibit.

There is so much room to work with back there, too if they got rid of that old costuming and admin building. All of those facilities could be easily moved. It's a real shame they just re-did Autopia not too long ago because they could take a hint from Tokyo Disney and demolished that as well to create a huge Star Wars/Tomorrowland expansion. I don't think anyone would really miss it.

2035996960_ScreenShot2015-03-09at13_26_22.thumb.png.56ac4380401127f75f7f0cbb91af9f80.png

The Parks Blog has some new info on the new Grizzly Peak Airfield.

Parks Blog

The recent expansion of Disney California Adventure park gave us even more ways to immerse our guests in new stories, and we’re excited to continue this expanded storytelling this year with the addition of the Grizzly Peak Airfield.

Smokejumpers-grill-exterior-LR.jpg.45ebdb67c3eb6b9eb86424fe0bc61f78.jpgSmokejumpers-interior-LR.jpg.55abe1068f35b4c5991c4ec5b70a3c95.jpg

The first phase of this expansion, the all-new Smokejumpers Grill, opens March 20. This new quick-service location takes inspiration from the brave men and women who fight wildfires in our California forests. In addition to a whole new look, the location will feature an updated menu with tasty items like a Bacon Cheddar Burger, Grilled Chicken & Jack Sandwich and Chili Cheeseburger!

GP-Airfield-from-West-LR.jpg.ff9b32bc6aba0e5879f3bede8e67145f.jpg

This is just the beginning of the Grizzly Peak expansion, which will bring new building exteriors, landscape features and more to the former Condor Flats area. Lush pine trees will bring cool areas of shade, making our guests feel they have been transported to California’s High Sierras.

SoarinGreenw-Tower-LR.jpg.34a91587d39ad62763b004fb1901d3ec.jpg

When the rest of the area opens later this spring, Soarin’ Over California will also reopen with updates to its screen and projection system, bringing a visually enhanced experience. We’ll have more details to share here on the Disney Parks Blog as the project progresses.

I just hope the hamburger are actually good. Outside of Carthay, have yet to have a good hamburger at DL/DCA. I had the salad at Boardwalk, the Italian, which is great. My friend got the "angus" cheeseburger. Cheese not melted, and so well done, he complained it had a terrible texture. I think the quick service dining at the park could use an overhaul. Hope the Hungry Bear is getting a quality overhaul at the same time.

Like the new look of the airfield. Huge improvement visually.

It's a real shame they just re-did Autopia not too long ago because they could take a hint from Tokyo Disney and demolished that as well to create a huge Star Wars/Tomorrowland expansion. I don't think anyone would really miss it.

I for one would not miss it. I rode Autopia after its refurb, and didnt notice much. The cars still stalled out, there really isn't any Disney magic to the attraction, whats to miss? I did see crews working in the old Tomorrowland boats area, placing site markers and surveying the land. I had high hopes something would happen with it along with the Autopia and Innovations space.