TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2007 Golden Tickets Announced

I didn't guess on Voyage being number 1, oh well. My other three predictions were right. Like others said, AT awards for coasters do nothing for me. When it comes to coasters, if mitch's polls say it, then I believe it.

I love bakuli, but it is probably the standard toilet bowl slide, though I haven't ridden any others, so I wouldn't know.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ I wouldn't undermind his list there--it's actually quite valid. I agree that a good portion of their coasters ARE just average.

He isn't "nutz". Well...in this case. ::P

You are a SFMM fan boy. You opinions are just represent you distaste of the park. SFMM coaster are no better than CP's so I guess you just have a collect of mediocre rides as well.

another point is, would you rather have a park with a huge collection of GREAT coasters or a park that has one or maybe two?

CP ugly? LOL

10 Reasons why CP is not #1:

1- No Q-bots, or any other fast pass system. I went to CP last Sunday, and Maverick's queue spilled out onto the midway for at least 100 yards. CP is the best park, yet they can't even install a large enough queue to accomodate Maverick's line?

2- The hotels just ain't that nice, yet they cost as much as some 4 or 5 diamond hotels.

3- The counter service level food is awful. And there aren't enough sit down restaurants to really call CP a resort. Let's see. Would I rather eat at the Yachtman's steakhouse, or TGI Fridays?

4- The kiddie area is pathetic. Kings Island whomps them in this department.

5- The park is ugly. Not nearly enough theming or shade.

6- The vast majority of the coasters are just average.

7- Bird poop all over the parking lot.

8- If you're not into thrill rides, there isn't much to do apart from eat.

9- No shooting dark ride, or regular dark ride. They have the Peanuts licensed. Why not put this to good use?

10- They refuse to install another wooden coaster.

All this being said, I do enjoy going to CP for the most part. There are a lot of rides packed into that park. I just don't think they're #1, not even close.

Terrible list of reasons!! LOL

My two favorite are:

1) The coasters are average

2) The park is ugly

LOL you are nutz

I love Cedar Point, but I have to agree with him, alot of there coasters are just average. Millennium Force is good, but not S:ROS SFNE kind of good, Magnum is the same, Dragster was a huge let down, Gemini is overrated, Raptor is good but not all that good, Mantis and Mean Streak are terrible, and Disaster Transport is worthless.

Some of their less talked about coasters are great though. Blue Streak has great air (and a large qauntity of it) Iron Dragon doesn't deserve all the flak it gets, and Wicked Twister is excellent. I personally don't think the park is ugly, but I haven't been to any Disney, Universal, or Busch parks so I don't have much to compare it to.

another point is, would you rather have a park with a huge collection of GREAT coasters or a park that has one or maybe two?

Quality over quantity.

Alton Towers, Blackpool, Liseburg, Kennywood, any Disney park, Indiana Beach,etc. I'd consider all of those parks much better parks then Cedar Point, and all of them have only a handful of coasters. (with maybe 1 or two awesome ones).

Once you start travelling out of Ohio you'll find that there are much better park experiences to be found.

I like Cedar Point, and have been goign 1 or two times a year for 15 years, but it being the best park 10 years in a row is just BS to me. A park can be good and overated at the same time.

I totally agree with the comment about CP's coasters (mostly) being average.

To me they only have 3 great coasters and a couple good ones, the rest are just standard blah 80s coasters.

Blue Streak - Decent woodie

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - Boring and painful

Corkscrew - Blah

Disaster Transport - Blah (might be better if they put it back outside)

Gemini - Love it

Iron Dragon - Blah

Magnum XL-200 - Love it

Mantis - Too painful

Maverick - Like it, but it's overated

Mean Streak - It's a joke.

Millennium Force - Love it

Raptor - Like it, but it's overated

Top Thrill Dragster - Like it

Wicked Twister - It's ok

Wildcat - Too painful

So out of 15 adult coasters, only 3 I would say I love and maybe a few others I like.

And that's the best park in the world? CP needs to remove Iron Dragon, Mean Streak, Disaster Transport, Corkscrew, Mantis and the mine train and Wildcat! IMO. But that will never happen cause they want to have the most coasters.

My home park is CP, however, I agree with many things on the previous list.

The food at CP IS atrocious. I end up eating at the Midway Market just because it is the most edible food without leaving the park and is not too terribly overpriced.

The list left off muffleheads, which, early in the season are horrible, but I do prefer those over the burgers I have endured at CP in the past. My rule at CP is if you have to walk up to order the food, do not eat there. I have also left and gone to East of Chicago on the causeway because the food is that bad.

Also agree with the lack of a fastpass type system, that really sucks.

As far as the rides being "average", that is a matter of opinion. I enjoy most of the rides there and have fun while riding them. I have noticed that everyone has SOMETHING negative about every park in the world and CP is no different.

If CP put the money and energy into the themeing the entire park like Frontiertown is themed..................

CP is one of those parks that has everything, but nothing is really "outstanding", in other words, quantity over quality.

On the other hand, I personally like big parks, and the back section of the park is somewhat nicely themed with trees and even some historic buildings, and if you took away the trashcans, it would look like Dollywood. It's probably the best park in Ohio, but not necessarily the best park in the US

cp1.jpg.a25caad07176fb0e4d14a051ed53c6cd.jpg

It almost looks like Dollywood

The average person in Ohio isn't smart enough to know how a fastpass sytem works.

Back when CP had freeway I would constantly see people yelling at the employee managing the freeway entrance. And even after having it explained to them they'd have these blank looks on their faces.

^^Same here, because with the crowds they draw, it makes waiting "standby" ridiculous, sort of my beef with Great Adventure. If you're not willing to shell out the extra $$$ for a gold q-bot, it's stupid long lines (3 hours for El Toro, 2.5 for Kingda Ka, 1.5 for Nitro) and a not-so-pleasant experience.

I'd rather have 4 coasters I love, and a collection of average but still fun others, than 4 great coasters, and nothing else but theming. The park is overrated, but somehow that doesn't translate to "I have to dislike it" for me.

^I think that should read "The average person from Detroit"

Well considering I've never been to Cedar Point I can't say if it's the best, but I will say I find that hard to believe. What are the standards they go by? I was happy to see a few things on the list, like Spiderman, Rock n Rollercoaster and Ripsaw Falls. Rock n Rollercoaster has a special place in my heart since it's what got me into coasters (note the avatar ). But ripsaw falls best water ride? It's good, but not great. The drops are good but the theming is sparse. Again, I'm wondering what standards they used.

Okay my two and a half cents on this thing.....

Okay for all the Cedar point fanboys out there, I am not bashing your park this is just my opinion. The park was fine. It really reminded me of SFMM with all the coasters, not much theming and lack of dark rides.

Don't get me wrong it was a fun park, despite it has it's own weather system, and the park management likes to close down the coasters due to a sprinkle of rain. Yes the weather was bad when we went and I totally understand that if it is a torential downpour they will close stuff. I don't care TGIF's bar was open, had more fun there most of the time while the park decided whether or not to open rides.

To me for a park to win overall best park, you have to have all kinds of things, not only just coasters. You need great food, coasters, dark rides, kiddie park, great employees, cleaniness overall theming and such and I just don't see Cedar Point having the best in all of that. I have been to smaller parks that were WAYYYY better then Cedar Point. Esspecially over in the UK and Sweden. Alton Towers and Liseburg were two HUGE standouts for me that were really great parks.

Okay next rant, the Voyage. You know I must have been on the wrong coaster or something, because almost everyone that has ridden this has said,"greatest woodie EVAR" All I have to say is, can I please smoke what you did before you went on this coaster, cause I have no clue what your talking about! Maybe it was because of my height or I was sitting in the wrong seat but this thing beat the HELL out of me!!!!

I mean the first two drops were great, I was thinking in my mind wow this coaster can stack up to Balder....but then the first turn and all through the forest just tore me up. My legs and ribs hurt so bad halfway through this ride, it's the first time I ever wanted off of something right then and there. To me it was just so rough and over aggressive, I just didn't have fun on it after the first two drops. I thought Raven was much better than Voyage.

Even Holiday world was a fun little park, I liked how it was layed out and was kind of quirky but I thought the rides and stuff that was there appealed to everyone, not just us coaster geeks.

Bakali.....yeah it was fun, but Deluge...OMG so much better! Okay that is just my opinion.....you may now tear my stuff apart, just be gentle or I will find you!

Casey"I miss Kennywood's FRIES!!!!!!!"Childers

You are a SFMM fan boy. You opinions are just represent you distaste of the park. SFMM coaster are no better than CP's so I guess you just have a collect of mediocre rides as well.

CP ugly? LOL

SFMM is actually the biggest collection of mediocre rides this side of the Mississippi.

Look dude, I'm going to give you a word of advice and only because I find you funny.

Use proper grammar when you argue with someone. Take the time to type your words out fully. Why? Because with no avatar, no age, and no profile information, the only impression I have of you to go off of is the content of your posts. And frankly, you argue like an 8 year old. When your best debate technique is to try and discredit someone by calling them "Nutz" or a "SFMM fan boy", you're proving that your capability of forming an argument is that of a grade-schooler.

I highly recommend backing your arguments with CONTENT. Rather than bash other people for having a well thought-out opinion, why don't you share why you think Cedar Point is worthy of "#1 Amusement Park". That way, you wont come off as a Cedar Point humping, prepubescent moron.

Thank you.

-Jahan

Predictable but not as bad as past years. At least Disney finally got in there.

But Griffon, SheiKra, and Montu low on the list? That's an insult. What would people possibly have against B&M (other than Iron Wolf/early Stand-ups, S:UF, and Hydra)?

I wonder where they get the enthusiasts though (the enthusiast vote I mean, I know the other categroies are from insiders/Amusement Today subscribers). Oh well, just another few months until Mitch's polls.

To me for a park to win overall best park, you have to have all kinds of things, not only just coasters. You need great food, coasters, dark rides, kiddie park, great employees, cleaniness overall theming and such and I just don't see Cedar Point having the best in all of that. I have been to smaller parks that were WAYYYY better then Cedar Point. Esspecially over in the UK and Sweden. Alton Towers and Liseburg were two HUGE standouts for me that were really great parks.

You said it perfectly. That's why BGE is my favorite park (haven't had the fortune to go to Europe yet).

Sure they only have 5 coasters, but they're all great in their respective chategory IMO and then the park is just what you described.

An overall experience, not just a bunch of coasters on hot concrete.

^ I don't think that way. I go to parks for the thrills. I couldn't care less about shows (I'll go down to my local theatre if I want to see a show), theming, atmosphere, food (I'll go to a nice restaurant if I want good food), etc. I'd take Scream! at SFMM over any Disney coaster, any day.

This is the problem when people give their opinions.... everyone has one.

I like going to Cedar Point, but are there prettier parks out there? Yes. Are there parks with better food, DEFINITELY. Are there better coasters within 3 hours of where I live. (Columbus Ohio, Go Bucks) No.

I remember going to BGE a few years back and being very impressed with the landscaping and very impressed with the Italy area, however I also said, CP still had better coasters/rides.

People take this a little too personally. Does my life change because some person does not like CP? No. I do not work for Cedar Fair, or even own stock in Cedar Fair, so the fact that someone does not like CP means pretty little to me. I have not been to as many parks as some of the people making comments about CP. Is it possible that they have seen better parks than CP, of course. Lighten up people.

Just do not diss the OSU Buckeyes, dems fightin' words if you do.

^Did you hear about OSU's name change? Yeah, I heard they are changing the name to THE University of Florida at Columbus since OSU got completely owned two championship games in a row by UF.

Sorry, I had to.

I think we should start the Donkey awards. We should have categories such as these:

Best Park Ever

Best Coaster Ever

Best Death Machine

Best Trash Cans (subcategories for Cedar Fair and non Cedar Fair parks)

Better-Than-Voyage Award - For some of those great woodies that Amusement Today doesn't even know about

Better-Than-Schlitterbahn Award - For the best water park

"Taer It Down!1" award for the Worst Ride Ever

Most Painful Ride Ever

Most Boring Ride Ever

Most Overrated Ride Ever

Most Underrated Ride Ever

Trashiest park

Cedar-Fair-Park-With-The-Most-Trashcans award

Lamest theming

Amazing But I Hate It award

WTF? award

I second that thought. And considering how large the site has become, I bet this would be a big hit! I'd love to see it.

Best New Ride of 2007 - Amusement Park

Maverick at Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Best New Ride of 2007 - Waterpark

Bakuli at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari,

Santa Claus, Ind.

It changed from last year, though what does Bakuli have over other Toilet Bowl slides out there?

I think we should start the Donkey awards. We should have categories such as these:

Best Park Ever

Best Coaster Ever

Best Death Machine

Best Trash Cans (subcategories for Cedar Fair and non Cedar Fair parks)

Better-Than-Voyage Award - For some of those great woodies that Amusement Today doesn't even know about

Better-Than-Schlitterbahn Award - For the best water park

"Taer It Down!1" award for the Worst Ride Ever

Most Painful Ride Ever

Most Boring Ride Ever

Most Overrated Ride Ever

Most Underrated Ride Ever

Trashiest park

Cedar-Fair-Park-With-The-Most-Trashcans award

Lamest theming

Amazing But I Hate It award

WTF? award

What about the "We Sat on our Ass and Did Nothing" for the park that did the least that year? (Little parks are exempt from this.)