TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Wonderland's coaster collection is lacking three things in my opinion

#1- A world class Woodie

#2- A smooth and non-headache inducing coaster with inversions

#3- A good launched coaster with a launch of at least 60mph

A RMC would take care of the first two and after riding New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler for the first time a couple of weeks ago I would be ecstatic if we got our own RMC creation and there are a couple of reasons I think this might be a possibilty for project 2016....Wonderland has had a penchant for setting records here in Canada with Behemoth and Leviathan and I can see them wanting to take the title of Canada's tallest Wooden coaster from La Ronde and plus with Six Flags seemingly putting a RMC hybrid in all their parks it's probably just a matter of time before Le Monstre gets the Iron Horse treatment,Wonderland might be looking to jump in first and put in Canada's first hybrid coaster.

The only things I see that might make Wonderland shy away from RMC for 2016 would be the somewhat low capacity plus Skyriders spot is pretty close to Minebuster. Not sure if the park would be willing to put 2 wooden coasters right close to each other.

The stronger possibity is a launched B&M...it would take take of #2 and #3 and plus it would have the capacity that Wonderland needs in a Coaster.

Lonshot possibilty......Canada's first Dive Machine and while we are at it let's make it the worlds tallest Dive Machine.

#1- A world class Woodie

A RMC would take care of the first two and after riding New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler for the first time a couple of weeks ago I would be ecstatic if we got our own RMC creation and there are a couple of reasons I think this might be a possibilty for project 2016....Wonderland has had a penchant for setting records here in Canada with Behemoth and Leviathan and I can see them wanting to take the title of Canada's tallest Wooden coaster from La Ronde and plus with Six Flags seemingly putting a RMC hybrid in all their parks it's probably just a matter of time before Le Monstre gets the Iron Horse treatment,Wonderland might be looking to jump in first and put in Canada's first hybrid coaster.

The only things I see that might make Wonderland shy away from RMC for 2016 would be the somewhat low capacity plus Skyriders spot is pretty close to Minebuster. Not sure if the park would be willing to put 2 wooden coasters right close to each other.

The stronger possibity is a launched B&M...it would take take of #2 and #3 and plus it would have the capacity that Wonderland needs in a Coaster.

Lonshot possibilty......Canada's first Dive Machine and while we are at it let's make it the worlds tallest Dive Machine.

My thoughts exactly.

I've probably ridden SkyRider close to 100 times since opening season. I was in line at the crack of dawn the day it debuted and was on the 6th or 7th public train to dispatch. (my Dad drove me to the park at 6AM!) While I can't say that I've been the biggest fan in the last handful of years, those pix (and particularly the vintage park maps) did a great job of reminding me that at one time I truly did enjoy it. Hell, I sprinted across the park for it. ) Time for some new blood.

#1- A world class Woodie

One more strong addition to the roller coaster lineup and I'll have to make my first trip up to Canada. A Dive Machine would certainly do the trick!

Wow! Skyrider is an exact duplicate of Shockwave at Kings Dominion. It's so identical, both the layout and station looks exactly the same.

It's almost identical, but the end of Shockwave is slighly different from the one of (former) King Kobra and Skyrider. Here's a video that shows it well :

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Shockwave[/coastertube]

At 00:50 you can see that the rides turns to the left before the brake run. Skyrider and King Kobra turned to the right. But yeah, that's the only difference so you're right that they were pretty much identical.

I only got to ride it in the late 90's, but for myself, my fave part of Sky Rider

was the little "tilt" near the end of the run. That was a surprise the first time I

rode it. And I loved that.

Cheerio SkyRider. You will be missed.

You know, I never was a real fan of SkyRider. Sure the novelty of it at first was nice but the more I rode it over time I started realizing it just gave me too many headaches. Stupid me I still rode it though.

I have no idea what is being erected in its place. I went to the park a few weeks ago and the only advertising of a change to the park is an addition/expansion of the water park. It's also on the website. I do hope it's another coaster though... and please get rid of the Zamperla!

Since Skyrider is up for sale it shows that the park/Cedar Fair isn't planning on using the ride for parts for KD's Shockwave, which means that ride will probably be out of there soon as well.

You really can't blame them. TOGO went bankrupt years ago, and it's pretty hard to find parts for those things, even if they took sky riders parts.

I was at Wonderland on the weekend to say farewell to Skyrider. I was pleasantly surprised by the standing air as I forgot how good it was. But I was brought back to earth by the general roughness and uncomfortable nature of the ride.

While I'm always sad to see a ride leave, I won't shed many tears about losing Skyrider. I look forward to seeing what replaces it in the not too distant future.

I'll miss you, SkyRider.

Togo stand-ups, man. They rock. They give an uninhibited, unique, and intense ride experience—including moments when your feet literally leave the floor! But the best part is the minimally-designed Togo train that makes riders feel more vulnerable, and helps to enhance the feeling that you're standing up. In contrast, B&M stand-up trains surround you with so much extra-thick padding that it feels like you're not even standing at all.

The Togo stand-up is a (wild) dying breed. Shame.

R.I.P.