TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Intamin seatbelts?

Ok so the GF and I never got to SFGadv on our road trip, but we did make it to SFA which I will post all the pics in another post. Ok so my question is.....At SFA they have Superman Ride of Steel, and Intamin coaster. Well being the big guy I'am I tried the test seat first just to make sure I would fit. Well I could buckle the seat belt no problem in the test seat, but when it was time to get on the ride my seatbelt was a little short. I couldn't get it buckled, I was bummed big time! but I will be back to ride it...Ok so to finish my question is....Are the seatbelts different from the test seat in length, or does it varies? from seat to seat.....was just curious......Thank you......

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Supermans, with the tiered seating, it used to be that the seatbelts in the front of the car were 11 inches longer than in the back. Because they redid the rest of the restraints, I assume this changed in May 04, but based on the fact that you said Intamin seatbelts, I'm not sure anymore (since I know the New England Superman doesn't use Intamin seatbelts anymore).

But this 11-inches-longer thing was also found to be one of the factors in the accident in 2004, so I am going to assume they're all (supposed to be) the same.

I found the test seats on Dragster and Millie to be pretty close to acurate, but that's me.

Also, CP is very picky sometimes.

Some rideops will help you to buckle the belt, some will refuse and say "no! I can't help you!" which is total bunk.

But I didn't have anybody like that, they pulled the belt and locked it quite easily. But then I had to get 1/2 inch of slack. why? who knows. But they showed me how to wiggle it and get the 1/2 inch.

Isn't Millennium Force the only coaster with the shorter seatbelts than all the other Intamin's?

To me TTD and Millie were about the same length.

I haven't been on any other Intamin coasters since about 2003 (excluding Volcano and Wicked Twister).

And someone told me they had heard the yellow train was the shortest, but I rode yellow and red and they both seemed the same to me. Didn't get to ride on blue, even with 6 rides.

I rode TTD last year without trying the test seat first and was ok. On MF there was someone at the entrance making people try the test seat and I, um, failed the test.

This year, I've had no problem with S:ROS SFNE and El Toro seatbelts. El Toro has slightly more slack in the seatbelts than S:ROS, but the lapbar has to be pushed down MUCH further to satisfy the sensors, I ended up uber-stapled and it was not fun.

Yeah, during my tenure at CP, it was known fact among the employees that TTD's seatbelts were a little longer than MF, and that the seatbelts on MF varied greatly. At one point, the test seat was three inches longer than the actual train seats, and we even figured out certain seats on the train in which the belts were considerably longer than others. It's really screwy, but at the same time, they are really hard to maintain. I'm not sure what the rules are now, but back in '05, each rider had to be able to pull the belt a certain length before it being considered safe to ride. There were some pretty big guys trying to squeeze into those seats so the belts became fairly stretched over time.

I know Knotts Xcelerator has a small seat, but im 6'5" and 280. The difference is your body dimensions because im thin being of my height and had no problem getting on the ride. One intamin that did dissapoint was V2 a SFDK because I was turned away for being to tall, so I will never ride an impulse being that would have been my first.

^ Cause Intamin failed at naturally safe restraint designs for many, many years and had several large people fly out of them.

I imagine the seatbelts aren't easily-replaced and don't get removed before sitting out overnight and whatnot, so variances are probably not constantly checked or changed. Still, it seems strange that they could vary so much.

Some rideops will help you to buckle the belt, some will refuse and say "no! I can't help you!" which is total bunk.

If some say they can't help and others do, then the procedure most likely is that they are not allowed to help someone with restraints. First problem with that is, consistency in training is not there. All the attendants should be following the same exact procedure.

As many of you have witnessed, an OTSR being smashed into someone to try to get the first click to catch. Same goes with trying to pull a seatbelt in that manner to connect it. The most important reason attendants are not allowed to help are as follows.

This goes for any restraint be it OTSR, Seatbelt, Clamshell, Lapbar ect.

If you have to force it to get it to lock, you DO NOT fit the restraint properly. It is then possible it won't secure you in the right manner. Even though you or the rider think they are in very tight.

The possibility of injury while forcing a restraint down on a rider or during the ride cycle with a forced restraint. Yes, you can injure bones and organs while you are forcing a restraint down on someone.

Thats it. Simple straightforward.

Now as for the difference in lap belt length, thats a whole different issue which technically should not be that way. The whole point of having a set length is for the specification of the restraint to do it's job properly. If one is shorter than it's spec than it is ok.Those that are longer are not within the specification they were designed to restrain a passenger properly. Keep in mind i am not talking about the different length between the lower and higher stadium seats. I am talking about two same exact seats but each has a belt with one or more inch difference. They should all be the exact same length.

Parks don't put different lengths to accommodate different size people. The only time this happens is when the seat and restraint are designed specifically for this when the train is manufactured.

If you say the front seat on left side of superman train is two inches longer, then one of those lapbelts is the incorrect length. They should both be same length.

Just thought i would point these things out since most don't realise this.

If you have to force it to get it to lock, you DO NOT fit the restraint properly. It is then possible it won't secure you in the right manner. Even though you or the rider think they are in very tight.

The possibility of injury while forcing a restraint down on a rider or during the ride cycle with a forced restraint. Yes, you can injure bones and organs while you are forcing a restraint down on someone.

Thats it. Simple straightforward.

I think a lot of people don't realize that; and it's one of the reasons that if someone next to me is being "secured" in that manner, I'll make the operator stop and get them off the ride. Not only are they risking their health but mine too if that restraint comes undone. And you're not injuring me, I'm selfish like that.

But one thing that kind of puzzles me when I read all these threads and posts about people not being able to fit in a seat or getting a certain number of clicks in: If people really love coasters so much, shouldn't they be in a position to do the thing they love? If you know these companies make seats to certain body sizes, then I think instead of complaining you should be taking care of what needs to be done to ride them. I mean I'm gay and like going out with hot muscle guys so I'm up in that gym working the shape out so I can try to get them instead of supersizing at McDonalds. If I was "value mealing" all day, I can't complain if I can't get or do what I want.

Same thing goes for coasters. It's as simple as that.

Terry

All the attendants should be following the same exact procedure.

I hear what you are saying, but the problem is this...

Intamin designed the seatbelts so that it's very hard for riders to buckle them themselves.

The buckle is on the far left/right of the seat and if you are bigger then it makes it very hard to buckle it yourself.

It doesn't mean I'm going to bust the belt, it's just that I have a hard time manuvering around in my seat so that I can lock it myself.

But everytime I was on the rides, the attendants were nice enough to help and they didn't like struggle with the belt to lock it. They pulled the belt and snap! I was in.

I also still think it's bunk overall because, me having help snapping the belt locked and me actually doing it myself aren't going to hurt the belt either way or the restraint for that matter.

If I'm so fat that it takes 2 people to pull the belt over and lock it, then yes....I need to get off the ride.

But I agree with Terry though, and I did the same thing myself. I lost the weight so I could get on the ride. It's just that at the weird angle the belts are, I would have most certainly not been able to buckle the belt myself.

When my wife and i were at CP in October 05, i got straight on MF with no restraint issues the first time. When i tried to buckle up for my second ride, i really stuggled to pull the belt tight enough to satisfy the ride op, so i switched seats with my wife from the right side to the left side and i buckled up just fine, with like 3 inches of slack.

This tells me that the belts are definately, randomly different.

Obviously, if you want to ride, and ride comfortably and safely, you need to lose weight if the restraints don't fit.

On the other hand, it'd really be nice if Intamin could build lap restraints that worked as well as B&M's for a wide® range of body types.

I hear what you are saying, but the problem is this...

Intamin designed the seatbelts so that it's very hard for riders to buckle them themselves.

The buckle is on the far left/right of the seat and if you are bigger then it makes it very hard to buckle it yourself.

Well yes, I have even had trouble due to the buckle being so far down to the side, even though when buckled i had so much slack. Sure an attendant can help with that. My comment is about not helping by pushing or pulling by force to MAKE a restraint fit.

I have buckled a few seatbelts for riders having trouble but would never pull the belt down on them to make it reach and connect.

Some people just have no clue and you either have to stand there and tell them what to do or do it for them.

I was just trying to point out why parks have the no help rule.

I was scared to death of not getting to ride TTD or Millenium Force at Cear Point this year. There website makes some weird assumptions as to what size to ride. I believe they say 240 lbs or 40 inch waste, well I way more than 240, but I have a like 34 for a waste.

Anyway, I had no problems what so ever ridiing any ride at Cedar Point, but it was tough to lock that stupid seat belt down on those rides.

On the other hand, it'd really be nice if Intamin could build lap restraints that worked as well as B&M's for a wide® range of body types.

At the risk of putting smaller riders in danger? No thanks. If you weigh too much, sucks for you, you can help it and lose weight to ride the ride. Now, if you're a 48" kid, you can't help the fact that you are short and probably (although in today's world, not as much) skinny as a rail. If they change the restraints to accommodate larger people, smaller/shorter people won't be able to ride. The height restrictions would raise, and you might even see minimum size limits on coasters, which is unfair to people who are not overweight ("normal" sized people, at least before the majority of our society became overweight).

Oh yeah, the European Intamins have longer belts. At least Goliath at WW did.

I'm going up to SFGAdv and I'm a little nervous about fitting. I'm not a particularly big guy around the middle, I'm just "big boned" so to speak and I'm tall and have long legs. If I don't get onto El Toro I'm going to just get lyposuction there.

But, I fit into Gwazi and all the regular sized seats on all the Orlando B&Ms with a little room to spare, so...hopefully I'll be fine.