TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Ongoing Kings Island Update Thread!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's because instead of waiting a year to get PTCs or finding them secondhand, they went with a pair of secondhand Gerstlauer trains, which are crap to begin with. Add 6 years of use on the Hurricane at the Pavilion (with no retracking) and you have some trains that not only track poorly, but also have terrible padding.

I think they should custom order some of the new PTC 1-bench trains for next season, maybe that would help salvage the coaster a bit more.

SOB has been marked for death from day 1. I'll be surprised if it passes the 10 year mark.

^Indeed it has! And I got a GREAT ride on it!

Paint is chipping at the bottom of the first drop, station, around the barrelrolls, and I think that was about all I saw....just many spots at the bottom of the drop.

^It's not THAT bad until you crest the top of the hill.

And anyone have a reason why KI is now making you hold onto you bags (ex, i have a nike bag that goes on my back) when there are bins and little shelves especially for them? Vortex, FoF, Racer, IJST, Beast, Top Gun all make you hold them during the ride. Why can't you just leave them in the station when they repeat they aren't responsible for articles lost during the ride or left in the station?

Ok, maybe this question has been asked but I really am interested in whether SOB track can be altered to give better rides? Everyone talks about tearing it down but it is still a fairly new ride and it would seem like a complete wast to just tear that massive structure down. I think if a few airtime hills were added and the helix could receive better banking, this ride could be sweet. However, I am not an engineer so I don't know if this is all that possible. Anyone know more?

^The first helix just needs to be redone. Period. Airtime hills? Ughhh....maybe making some of the hills smaller and they would be able to give some air. But in all reality. That's NEVER going to happen. I bet SoB will recieve more work over the off season on it's helix, though. I mean, it's getting trains hurled around that at about 60-70 mph, numerous times a day.

Update on a few things!

For those who wanted to know why SOB was closed for that previous week, it's because lightning stuck the ride, causing the Lift and Brakes to go WACK!

If anyone rides Drop Zone/Goes atop the Eiffel Tower, you might be able to see some construction going on behind Skyflier. It's not a ride, but it's a warehouse that will double for the FearFest attraction: Club BLOOD.

Tomb Raider: THE RIDE - I got work from someone in a high position at KI that TRTR's mother board that controls the ride and makes everthing work is meeeeeessssseddddd up they even took apart of the theming out (as seen from Vortex). So expect TRTR to be down for quite a while.

For those who like EuroBungee (pay attraction), in high winds today, FOUR of the pads blew away and either got completely bent and messed up, or slightly bent. One landed 10ft. from the Racer! Soooo if you planed on going to that, find something else to do!

SoB is still being crappy with one train ops.

My friend who works over at Drop Zone tells me that one of the parts of Drop Zone's check up and 'up grade' was that it doesn't reach the usual speed anymore. It was said to drop at 65mph. Well my friend says it doesn't reach 65mph anymore so there isn't as much stress on the cables. I kinda doubt that, I kinda dont. It still feels like the same speed, but it sure doesn't feel like you slow down as slow as you did previous to the update. It feels like you hit the brakes ALOT closer to the ground.

Just an info update!

-Zach

I'll be going a week from today, what ride should I go to first? Should I get SoB or Firehawk out of the way first? Do they both usually open with the park? How should the crowds be on a Friday? It's supposed to be cloudy and possibly rain a little, so hopefully they won't be that bad.

Thanks.