TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

What the hell happened to the Canes? It was completely in their control and they blew it.

And that was a pretty ugly way for the Leafs to end their season too. On the plus side, Colborne and Frattin looked good, and Reimer was the only reason the game wasn't 7 or 8 to 1. Playoffs next year for sure.

^ I was very surprised that the Canes choked like that after being on such a tear. But as the old adage goes...you can't win them all! I am sure the Caps would rather have the Rangers anyway.

I am personally excited about the Sabres playing the Flyers, especially if Friday night's game is any indication of the intensity. The smack talk has already started between my sister and brother in law (that live in Allentown) and are Flyers fans. This is going to be a lot of fun!

I am sure the Caps would rather have the Rangers anyway.

Ummm.... no. The Rangers dominated us in the regular season, all the anylists at CSN, Versus, and NHL on the Fly were all saying that the Caps do not want to face the Rangers. They outscored us 17-6 in the regular season. I wish we had Holtby with us, he was amazing in goal and had a 10-2-2 record. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

^ Ya never know...it all changes now. It is all about playing hard, cutting out the mental errors, great goaltending and the will/hunger to win.

The Canes were playing some pretty good hockey (up until last night) and the Rangers got lucky because of that one loss. I don't think any team would have been licking their lips to play Carolina in the first round, although the Rangers are a feisty team and having Drury back can only help them in the playoffs.

Should be a good series...

Might has well make my predictions for the East since it's all set.

Caps vs Rangers - The Rangers definitely had the better head to head record as mentioned in the post above. The Caps have been really good the last month though and have been through adversity. Caps in 6.

Flyers vs Sabres - The Flyers have had an awful finish to the season and the Sabres have been great to finish. If it comes down to goaltending, the Sabres have a huge advantage, at least on paper. The Flyers do have the experience from last season though. Tough call considering everything. Flyers in 7.

Bruins vs Habs - This is gonna be a treat to watch. The Bruins are the better team but the Habs are always a tough opponent for them. Could be an epic goaltending battle. And how bad are the Habs fan's gonna be to Chara? Bruins in 7.

Penguins vs Lightining - Tampa has had a great season under Stevie Y and should be proud, but Pittsburgh has got the cup experience even without Crosby and proved they can still do well without him. If Crosby was there, it wouldn't even be close. Tampa simply doesn't have the playoff experience yet. Pens in 6

For the Leafs sake I'm hoping Buffalo and Montreal win those series.

Thanks for the support!

I will say that the Sabres had their hands full with Toronto this season and they had been playing some decent hockey. I predict that they will definitely be a team to be reckoned with come next season.

So Dallas just lost, and the Canucks are now cursing them. Chicago gets the spot. I will now make my West predictions.

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver is by far the better team this time around, but the can they get past the psychological factor? Chicago will be tough now. They know how to get it done. Gotta still say Canucks in 6

Sharks vs Kings - With LA having such huge injuries to Kopitar and Williams, combined with the Sharks tear up the standings in the second half of the season, as well as shaking off some playoff bugs last season, Sharks in 5

Wings vs Coyotes - I feel really bad for Phoenix. Same match up as last years first round and this time they don't have home ice advantage. I can't go against the Wings on this. Wings in 6

Ducks vs Predators - The Ducks have a cup under their belt, not to mention Rocket Richard winner Corey Perry leading a really potent offence. Rinne is gonna have to stand on his head if the Preds are gonna win this one. Ducks in 5

So Dallas just lost, and the Canucks are now cursing them. Chicago gets the spot. I will now make my West predictions.

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver is by far the better team this time around, but the can they get past the psychological factor? Chicago will be tough now. They know how to get it done. Gotta still say Canucks in 6

Sharks vs Kings - With LA having such huge injuries to Kopitar and Williams, combined with the Sharks tear up the standings in the second half of the season, as well as shaking off some playoff bugs last season, Sharks in 5

Wings vs Coyotes - I feel really bad for Phoenix. Same match up as last years first round and this time they don't have home ice advantage. I can't go against the Wings on this. Wings in 6

Ducks vs Predators - The Ducks have a cup under their belt, not to mention Rocket Richard winner Corey Perry leading a really potent offence. Rinne is gonna have to stand on his head if the Preds are gonna win this one. Ducks in 5

Argh! Don't say that about the sharks. Any true sharks fan knows that the past three years they have been coming out flat the first game even after playing awesome (president trophy year). Yes the Kings should be beatable but so were the Ducks. Regular season stats don't really bear any weight in the playoffs in my opinion. All teams are playing their hardest (or they should be) to win the Stanley Cup which is where the "history will be made" commercials come from.

My predictions!

WEST

Canucks/Hawks- The Blackhawks are the reigning champ and have more experience overall than the Canucks, but they lost a lot of key parts last offseason due to cap space and barely squeeked in this year. The Sedins and the overall Vancouver talent will get them the win, ultimately: Canucks in 6

Sharks/Kings- Honestly, its been a long time coming for the Sharks. They havent been able to win at all in the playoffs in recent years, but they face an inexperience Kings squad. Sharks in 7, and a good one.

Coyotes/Red Wings- A tough matchup for the Coyotes who are young and talented, the Wings have everything it takes to win again. But I'm feeling the upset here, the Coyotes look pretty good. Oh, and I just really hate Detroit. Coyotes in 7, barely.

Predators/Ducks- Corey Perry! The Ducks are playing great hockey as of late, I think they'll win this series, Ducks in 6, the flying V strikes again!

East

Caps/Rangers- The Broadway Blueshirts just don't have it, IMO. They wont pull off this upset, Caps easily in 5.

Flyers/Sabres- Its 2 vs. 7, but I think will play out like a 4-5. The Flyers have been struggling down the stretch while the Sabres young guns are just heating up. Bobrovsky is an untested rookie netminder, and itll be a tough series to win for Philly. Ultimately, Flyers in 6.

Habs/Bruins- Remember that high scoring, fight filled game back in February?! This series won't dissappoint in the goal column, nor the bloodshed. The Canadiens made a valiant run last year and will give the Bruins quite the series. Buuuuuttt, Bruins in 7.

Pens/Lighting- Should Sidney Crosby return to the lineup in this series, we're looking at a Pens victory. The Lightning are young, and Stamkos hasnt finished on the torrid pace he started. The Penguins still have a deep lineup, more so than the Bolts, but Tampa has the superstars in St.Louis, Lecavalier and of course, Stamkos. What is shaping up to be a great series will go the distance, Pens in 7.

There ya go, my pre-playoff projections Hopefully i do alright.

This is going to be either one of the best Playoff series in history- or one that will be a total bust...

As for my Beloved (and I do mean that; I've got their logos tattooed on my back) Capitals- I can only hope they don't choke in the middle of the first series like they did last year against the Habs. Truly an embarrasing moment for me- and my Caps.

My predictions!

East

Caps/Rangers- The Broadway Blueshirts just don't have it, IMO. They wont pull off this upset, Caps easily in 5.

I have mixed feelings with that. One one hand I am flattered that you think the Caps will easily win, but I feel like you are contradicing yourself because in chat you said that the Caps didn't have what it takes to win. At least that was the impression I got. Correct me if I am wrong, that is just how I interpreted what you said.

I might as well post my playoff predictions.

Capitals vs Rangers: The Rangers dominated us in the regular season, but we need to leave that behind. This is really difficult to call because of the many ups and downs we faced. So I will make predictions on two circumstances:

If the Caps team from December shows up: Rangers in 6

If the Caps team from March shows up: Capitals in 5

Flyers vs Sabres: The Flyers rookie Sergei Bobrovski was great in the regular season, but he is not proven in the playoffs. This is the Flyers only weakness but if Bobs steps up, the Flyers will have the edge in goaltending. Flyers in 7

Canadiens vs Bruins: This will be the most exciting series in a long time. There will be bloodshed in this series(figuratively) and will really build up this rivalry. I think this will bring out the best in all the players. I am going with the upset: Habs in 7

Penguins vs Lightning: The Lightning have great talent with Stamkos and Lecavalier and St. Louis, but they do not have much playoff experience. Plus Guy Boucher has no experience at all in the playoffs. Stamkos has been ice cold at the end of the season. The only chance the Lightning have is if Stamkos really gets something going, and something monumental for them. I don't see Tampa winning this, Pens in 6

Canucks vs Blackhawks: Sedin, need I say more? Canucks in 5

Sharks vs Kings: The Kings have very little experience in the postseason. The Sharks made it to the Western Conference final last year, but I don't see them getting that far. Still: Sharks in 6

Red Wings vs Coyotes: I think this will be a close series, but it will all come down to style of play. And the Red Wings have a better style of play so Red Wings in 7

Ducks vs Predators: Corey Perry has been a real difference maker in the regular season, but will he be in the playoffs? I think so Ducks in 6

^^ Highly unlikely.

Boudreau has done more with the Caps than just about any coach in history- even more than Ron Wilson did, and certainly more than his predecessor.

Running a team into the playoffs is a part of the deal- and a big one, too. But so is keeping the a's over the s's during the regular season- which Boudreau does quite well with one of the best looking teams (Play wise) on ice in the NHL.

No, we're not the Starting Line of the Damned (1976 Flyers) or are we the 1980 USA Mens team... but the Caps are still one hell of a team to watch on home ice..

(I was a season ticket holder for 12 years- till I moved to the west)

^ The Buffalo media says the same thing about Lindy Ruff every time they have a losing streak of more than three games in a row - stupid. I'm sure it'll happen again if we don't get past the Flyers in Round One, despite the fact that he is the longest tenured coach in hockey and one of the most respected (winning % isn't bad either).

I'm sure Edmonton or some other team would be licking their lips to get him in a snap if we ever let him go. Personally, I think it would be the dumbest move the Sabres organization could make, but luckily our new owner supports him 100% so I don't think it will happen if we get knocked out in Round One.

Why would we fire a coach who has won the Jack Adams award and has one of the highest winning percentages of any coach in the league over the last 4 years?

The coach and/or GM tend to be the first to go if the team fails. Sometimes someone has to unfairly pay the price.

Not that it would happen, but it wouldn't be the first time a Jack Adams award winner got fired. Ted Nolan got canned after winning coach of the year.