TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

Since we're getting close to the end of the regular season, why don't we start talking about awards? Be completely impartial and do not only pick players to win awards because you like them, pick players who deserve it.

Here are my picks:

MVP: Daniel Sedin

Vezina: Tim Thomas

Rookie of the Year: Jeff Skinner

Norris: Dustin Byfuglien

I know I missed a lot of awards, But that's all I felt like posting.

^

Hart: Steven Stamkos. Not taking anything away from Stamkos, but I think Tim Thomas deserves it more. They don't like picking goalies for this award because they feel there aren't any awards for best forward. Well news flash, there are 3! The Art Ross, Rocket Richard and Selke.

Vezina: Tim Thomas. He'll get this one though. Would be 2nd in 3 years for him.

Norris: This one is a tough call, but I'm gonna say Lubomir Visnovski or Shea Weber.

Calder: Michael Grabner. This guy has 30 goals (which leads the team) and is a plus 17 (which also leads the team) playing for the Islanders!

Selke: I'm gonna say Ryan Kesler. Datsyuk missed alot of time this year to injury, otherwise he'd be my pick.

Nice to see the Sabres closing in on securing a playoff spot! Also nice to see the Canes lose last night so we could distance ourselves to five points.

Next up will be to pass the Rangers and Canadiens in the standings!

Kopitar

Enough said there...

What a loss. That takes out the whole first line now. And hopefully Penner can pick up his game like he was as a rookie for Anaheim.

It really is a shame that the Kings lose their best player right before the playoffs.

In other news, the Caps are the hottest team in the league right now with only 4 losses in their last 19 games. Looks like we finally got our defensive scheme figured out. With the 2nd best PK in the league and very solid goaltending from our 3 young goalies, it is looking like we are going to be a force in the playoffs. But then again, that's what all the analysts said last year. But with great defense and solid offense, this is the best shot we have had at the Cup in a long time.

Back to the awards discussion, I think Marc Andre Fleury should definetly get some consideration for the Vezina and the Hart. Without our best offensive players, he's kept us in every game and has a handful of shutouts while we continue to win...despite the total lack of offense. No doubt the D has to get some credit for that but it's been Flower for the most part. I may sound biased cuz I'm a pens fan, but I really support Fleury4Hart.

Back to the awards discussion, I think Marc Andre Fleury should definetly get some consideration for the Vezina and the Hart. Without our best offensive players, he's kept us in every game and has a handful of shutouts while we continue to win...despite the total lack of offense. No doubt the D has to get some credit for that but it's been Flower for the most part. I may sound biased cuz I'm a pens fan, but I really support Fleury4Hart.

Umm... I will definatley say Fleury should be considered for the Vezina, but not the Hart. Fleury doesn't have numbers anywhere near those of say Luongo or Thomas or Price. Fleury has a lot to do with the Penguins success, but if a goalie should get the Hart I would say it would be Price or Luongo. I am speaking from a 100% unbiased perspective, I am not just saying that because I am a Caps fan.

^I would actually argue the opposite, I would say he should get Hart consideration but not Vezina.

If the Vezina is best goaltender, then by all means Thomas and Price have had better seasons, Fleury had a slump at the begininng and his stats just aren't on there level. But Fleury has been by FAR our team's MVP, when all our stars were injured (yes, we had A LOT more injuries than just Crosby and Malkin), he has kept us in games and has us in contention to not only win our division but potentially have a shot at winning the Eastern conference. When nothing else has been consistent, Fleury has played at a consistently high level and put this team on his back. He has been bar none our most valuable component on our team and without him we would be fighting for a playoff spot right now after having such a pathetic offense and powerplay since the beginning of January.

I think if anything, the Vezina is an award that has more to with numbers and strictly goalie play, whereas the Hart is more abstract and relies less on numbers and more on leadership and team contribution. And Fleury would definitely fit the latter category much more than the former.

Not saying I think he'll win, it will almost surely be a forward, especially after the Pens (probably) blew their shot at the Eatsern Conference title tonight with their implosion against the Flyers. But I would definitely say he should get Hart consideration and I would say he deserves the HART, not the VEZINA, more than any other goalie.

The Leafs simply have had no help at all. The Flyers are useless and the Sabres beat the Canes in OT. The Canes still got a shot at it but the Leafs are all but mathematically eliminated. Gotta give them credit for the effort. I can't wait to see what they will be like next season.

Edit: Now the Bruins are freaking useless too!

X-----Buffalo Sabres. Can't do any worse than 7th now!

What a game last night against the Flyers! That reverse spin-around goal by Gerbe was ridiculously lucky, but sweet nonetheless. And the Vanek goal on the breakaway in OT was pretty spectacular....especially for the final home game where they had 80 former players invited in by our new owner. Awesome.

Let's close out the season in Columbus tonight with a W and see if we can sneak past Montreal for 6th place! I would also look forward to seeing the Caps and Canes play in the first round. Both teams are playing pretty good hockey heading into the playoffs.

Caps clinched the Eastern Conference with that Flyers loss last night. And ^, That was part luck, part insanely well placed shot. Gerbe is extremely underrated. John Carlson of the Caps is underrated too, he is in the top 5 of almost every rookie D category. He is without a doubt our best defenseman and he is only 21. When he matures he will likely be a perrenial Norris candidate like Mike Green. Caps have one of if not the best record since the trade deadline. We have lost only 5 out of the last 33 games, without a doubt because of our improved defense. Hopefully this new game plan will get us further into the playoffs.

And ^, That was part luck, part insanely well placed shot. Gerbe is extremely underrated. John Carlson of the Caps is underrated too, he is in the top 5 of almost every rookie D category.

Agreed! I think Ennis is somewhat underrated as well.

Kinda disappointed in Tyler Myers play this year after winning the Calder last year, but I guess the pressure has to be hard to handle after winning such a prestigious award. He has come along, but had some awful plays last night that could have cost us the game (however, he wasn't the only one). He and the rest of the D will need to be much sharper in the playoffs to have a chance of going anywhere.

Also a shout out to Luke Adam who won the AHL rookie of the year award in Portland after Ennis and Gerbe won in the two previous years. It's nice to know we are drafting some great talent for our future!

^I cannot believe he is still able to play at that high a level. 80 points in 72 games. I wouldn't retire yet if I could still play like that.

I did not say he was retiring, I said that it will be sad when he does retire. Another man I have a lot of respect for is Dwayne Roloson. 41 years old and still going strong. That save against Montreal with his stick was unreal. The fact that he is at an age most players don't get to and can still pull those things off is remarkable.