TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Religious Beliefs

RNRC

I'm Catholic, and while I believe that baptism may be important to many who share my religion, I don't think it is necessary to get into heaven.

Of course, it's a step in the right direction.

I believe that the only people who don't make it to heaven are those who openly and willingly deny God and block him from their lives. I even think that non believers have just as much of a chance, as long as they are willingly to accept God.

Pretty much, you either choose God or Satan. When you choose to not worship God, you are letting Satan trick you.. I'm gonna have to go with God.

Hey, I'm only 16, but I go to a Catholic school and they have an excellent bible class that is required for all students. This type of subject is interesting to me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm catholic and have been Baptised, Confirmed, Reconciled and had my First Eucharist. Still though, I don't really believe in all the messages the church tries to teach. I do believe though that there is no such place as 'Hell' and all souls are forgiven and everyone is given a second chance and welcome in Heaven.

I can honestly say that I don't live by then ten commandments because really I think it is impossible, I don't pray often, I have only been Reconciled twice and only go to church for Christmas Eve and school but still I believe I will be welcomed to heaven and it comforts me to know that. Also to know that I don't have to live my life worrying about everything I do and hope the my maturity will stop me doing anything stupid.

hopefully

Me in an atheist, and if there is a god im am 100% going to hell because I deny the holy spirit *the only sin not forgiveable*

You have to first receive the gift of the holy spirit. After you have that gift, you must then have either been visited by God himself, Christ, or witness some sort of miracle which causes you to not require any kind of faith in order to believe in them. Only and handful of people would fall into this category, these people are generally known as prophets. If these people deny the holy spirit, they are the ones that will have committed the unforgiveable sin. I assume that you have not experienced these events in your life, so you have not committed this sin.

I believe in science. I believe in the big bang, and evolution, and that our entire existence is purely random. I do not believe in a traditional god, if there is a god, it is something we cannot comprehend. I don't think god has any hand in day to day life.

My honest opinion is that religion is something created to help people explain what they can't understand. Early religions had gods to "explain away" why there's rain, seasons, famine, etc. We find these ideas silly and antiquated now because our knowledge of the world around us has increased. Really, the only things that we cannot fully explain is what happens to your being when you die, and (to a certain extent) why we are here at all. The focus of most major current religions is what you have to believe in order to be granted a positive afterlife. Death is an incredibly uncomfortable prospect for most people, so the idea that there is something beyond what we can perceive is very comforting, although I believe it's probably entirely false.

^Wow, that's seriously exactly what I believe!

Whenever I try to explain it to people I use pretty much that same argument. People NEED to believe that something happens after they die, that's what Religion is. A way for people to deal with death.

For me, I'm quite content knowing that when I die, I'll cease to exist. I won't know any thing else, and it won't bother me.

^ See, I'm pretty much with you and Wes, BUT... A while ago, a friend and I got into one of these stupid four hour long philosophical discussions, and we came around to what happens when you die. I'd never believed in an afterlife, but since that conversation, I kinda do... It's almost as if I make myself, because basically I find the alternative, that then there'll just be NOTHINGNESS, kinda depressing. I know I shouldn't, it's not like I'll feel pain, but... *shrug* I'm one of these annoying people who asks "WHY" about everything, and I kinda feel like there has to be *some* purpose for our being, and in my mind that's linked with what happens when we die. Weird really.

Well it was a website I came accross which gave me all of this information about heaven and hell. So, if what I heard was correct, then anyone who is either an athiest or hasn't been Baptised will go to hell. Although I have accepted Jesus I don't understand why baptism is nessicary to get into heaven.

I want to be baptised, but I will feel awful for my parents if they are condemned.

You should read Dante's Divine Comedy. A lot of what people today say about heaven/hell/purgatory comes from his writings. They aren't religious texts, but it shows you how people will just pick up and adopt something that works for them. In his breakdown of hell, atheists and unbaptized people do go to hell, but they stay in Limbo: there isn't any punishment in Limbo other than the having to spend an eternity secluded from God's light. The only way one truly goes to Hell is if they're already Christian and then sin or live amorally.

Of course there varying ideas and interpretations throughout the varying branches of Christianity, and even personal variances, about what and how Heaven and Hell (and purgatory if you believe in it) are defined. What you saw on whatever website you saw may or may not be correct. You could form your own ideas on the subject and it would be just as valid as any other interpretation you may see. You're dealing with faith, and faith is very personal and can never be uniformly defined for large groups, so if what you're seeing or being told isn't making complete sense to you(such as how you don't see why baptism is necessary) than you should form your own ideas and believe in them. If you allow your faith to be defined by others you aren't being true to yourself and your faith is superficial, and therefor, pointless.

That being said, I think most people would call me Agnostic, but I'm really not. I don't deny nor accept the existence of a god. If I see something in ANY religion that makes sense to me, I'll live by it. I don't think any one religion does or will ever be 100% correct on morals, so the best way I see is to pick up what I can from each, and fill in the blanks with my own ideas or logic.

I believe in science. I believe in the big bang, and evolution, and that our entire existence is purely random. I do not believe in a traditional god, if there is a god, it is something we cannot comprehend. I don't think god has any hand in day to day life.

My honest opinion is that religion is something created to help people explain what they can't understand. Early religions had gods to "explain away" why there's rain, seasons, famine, etc. We find these ideas silly and antiquated now because our knowledge of the world around us has increased. Really, the only things that we cannot fully explain is what happens to your being when you die, and (to a certain extent) why we are here at all. The focus of most major current religions is what you have to believe in order to be granted a positive afterlife. Death is an incredibly uncomfortable prospect for most people, so the idea that there is something beyond what we can perceive is very comforting, although I believe it's probably entirely false.

Well....Uh...Yup! Pretty Much! Well put Wes!

^^^ Lou, I think alot like you do. I have those late night crisis brain overloads when I try to comprehend the thought of dying and suddenly just not existing. It's incredibly bleak and depressing, almost to the point where I get sick to my stomach thinking about it. At that point, I WANT to believe that there's something else out there, but rationally, it just doesn't make any sense.

I think a lot of people turn to religion because they don't want to consider the alternative.

I believe in science.

I kinda agree with you. I believe in fact. That's just how I am altogether, I don't usually "get" philosophies and "concepts" but I can *do* facts. I believe evolution is likely, but don't necessarily think that it is fact at this point. Its still theory. Just like gods and heavens and hell is theory to me. I just don't know if these ideas are true. If they are.. cool. If not, oh well. I won't be spending 1/7 of my life and a large lump of my earnings trying to figure it out...

I believe religion serves a lot of folks well, and has a few positives such as the aforementioned handling of death and those fearful of god's judgment, so it probably keeps a lot of people in line. I do sometimes wonder what would happen if the existence of a god or gods were to be proven wrong/incorrect/impossible/etc...

^^^ Lou, I think alot like you do. I have those late night crisis brain overloads when I try to comprehend the thought of dying and suddenly just not existing. It's incredibly bleak and depressing, almost to the point where I get sick to my stomach thinking about it. At that point, I WANT to believe that there's something else out there, but rationally, it just doesn't make any sense.

I think a lot of people turn to religion because they don't want to consider the alternative.

EXACTLY. It's kinda hard to put into words, cos I don't really believe in an afterlife in any sense of religion... I don't think there's a God controlling who goes where, it's not a Heaven/Hell thing, it's just.... As you say, for us to just be here, and then be gone... "Bleak" is the perfect word, and believing in some kind of soul is just less depressing. And if I'm wrong, well I'll never know, because I'll be gone, so... I believe what I need to.

Religion IMO is both a blessing and a curse. It must be wonderful to have something to turn to when things are tough, something to lean on, but at the same time, it must be tough to have certain beliefs... I dunno.

I can agree with that, however...I do not believe that existence is purely random.

I do believe that there is a God outside of our "traditional" understanding.

Something can not come of nothing, as science teaches us the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. And even if existence as we know it has evolved from past existence, there comes a point in which there has to be "rationally" a creator of the intial existance--a "first mover".

Therefore, the only logically explanation in my mind is a "God". "God" is a 'variable', if you will...my scientific hypothesis for our existance. Existance can not come from nothingness and therefore must have come from the one concept that has always existed.

I believe there was a God who created matter and the "laws of physics" by which that matter abides. The rest is history.

As far as existence being "purely random"...

Every action has a goal. There is NOTHING we do, that is not meant to serve a purpose for ourselves. Therefore, to me, it is logical to say that if "God" performed the "action" of creating existence, it must have been done to accomplish a "goal". Meaning the universe didn't just appear randomly, but appeared for a reason. What that reason is, I can not pretend to know.

You drive a hard argument Wes.

But I personally agree with the principals commonly known as "Pascal's Wager". Simply put...

I am going to live my life trying to make it to "heaven", because when I die, if there is a "heaven", I'll be pretty glad I made that choice. If there is NOT a "heaven"...well...I'll never have to know I threw my life away! I'll be dead and have ceased to exist!

Now, how you "make it" to "heaven" is purely a matter of personal belief. I personally do not believe that there is "one path" to salvation. Human's have been created to be all distinct...all different from one another. Therefore, there is no way that there can be only "one path", an idea typically rejected by all organized religion as these damn organizations are too self-righteous to see this.

Just how I feel.

-Jahan

Actually it's completely logical that life started randomly. With the reaction rates and multitude of chemical reactions on earth, it was only a matter of time until they bound in a way which created a gradient. Living lifeforms are really nothing but systems of gradients, almost all functions deal with gradients, so when the first one way created it begs to stand that it all went uphill from there. Gradient> gradient control> cell> colonies> multicellular life forms> high evolved forms. Yes it took a VERY long time, and could have just as easily NOT happened, but it is still very very logical.

^^ As to your first point, I agree to a certain extent. If God does exist, then it is the force that created the universe and the laws of physics. That's the only place I feel God has a distinct purpose in our universe. What created God though?

I read an interesting theory that the universe basically repeats itself over and over again. All matter is sucked into singularity and then expanded again. My explanation probably sucks.

Actually it's completely logical that life started randomly. With the reaction rates and multitude of chemical reactions on earth, it was only a matter of time until they bound in a way which created a gradient. Living lifeforms are really nothing but systems of gradients, almost all functions deal with gradients, so when the first one way created it begs to stand that it all went uphill from there. Gradient> gradient control> cell> colonies> multicellular life forms> high evolved forms. Yes it took a VERY long time, and could have just as easily NOT happened, but it is still very very logical.

I'm not talking about life dude...I was talking about "existence".

And I'm not disputing evolution by any means! As I said...I believe that God created matter and the "laws of physics" by which that matter abides! Therefore, the chemical reactions which would eventually manifest a life-form were done so in accordance with the "laws" that were initially set forth by a God! Therefore, it was not "random" by any means.

What I was saying, is that yes...humanity, existence...everything we see today is simply apart of a chain reaction, one that you described in your post. If you will, we are but one domino, in a MASSIVE domino set-up. We exist today because the dominoes that preceded us have all collapsed in a chain reaction, eventually knocking our domino....and who we are today will in fact set off more chain reactions for future generations, no doubt.

However, there must have been some factor which initiated that first reaction, in the series of chain reactions. If you will, "something" must have knocked that first domino in the set-up over. That "something" can not be the "big bang"...the "big bang" is the first domino..."something" must have served as a catalyst for knocking over that first domino...and that something I like to think of as God.

^^ As to your first point, I agree to a certain extent. If God does exist, then it is the force that created the universe and the laws of physics. That's the only place I feel God has a distinct purpose in our universe. What created God though?

I read an interesting theory that the universe basically repeats itself over and over again. All matter is sucked into singularity and then expanded again. My explanation probably sucks.

What created God? Nothing..."God" has existed always.

I'm not trying to say that God is a totally ripped senior citizen, dressed in a toga, throwing lightning bolts!

What I'm saying is that existence must have come from something that has always existed (hence, why nothing 'created' God). I don't know what that "something" is, but like calling an unknown in an algebraic equation "x", I call this unknown something "God". It is my variable, if you will.

As for the idea that the universe repeats itself over and over, which is plausible, there still must have been something that initiated the "first universe"...this expanding and contracting universe can not have been in existence forever, in my opinion. Something had to start that chain reaction.

-Jahan "...still not getting laid..." Makanvand

Wow, this is the first religious topic that I've seen dealt with in such a calm manner.

I can understand turning to "God" as an answer to the creator of the universe but I don't think it should be accepted as the truth, at least not yet. It is a topic based entirely on one's opinion...and in my opinion our society has barely scratched the technological surface that makes up the universe we exist in. I definitely do not accept the "Big Bang" concept as it seems to be a loosely thrown together theory based on on the fact that man fears the uncertain, but I do think that in time we could figure out a scientific answer to the creation of the universe. In the process of this finding I believe many current findings could be proven wrong.

For example, the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy. Yes we found that mass and energy cannot be created from nothing, but we do not have the mental power to understand this or other theories in the presence of the vast energies of the universe. As well as I'm sure we have not discovered everything that makes up the universe...there are probably unexplained energies, masses, substances, etc. out there that we know nothing of.

As far as religion today, I can't say I believe in an actual "God" but I can say that it is comforting at times to look upon a higher being in times of depression, trouble, and other problematic situations.

This is my theory, a very vast one and not to mention it is based on a low level of education. I think that in the early years of man we were fragile and very simple. We did not understand lightning, death...anything too complicated for our simple minds. Over many years, and I mean thousands of years, the creation of gods and religions helped our simplistic ancestors understand the world. I believe that it soon became a method of controlling people through fear. Ancient civilizations performed sacrifices to please the gods...ultimately sparing their lives. Soon the higher classes took advantage of this and used religion to force people to follow them (I'd like to note my education in history is not a great as say Jahan's, thus this may not be a very truthful theory). From the time of Jesus (thats another story of its own) I believe religion as a control started to die. In the present society we do not fear the wrath of "God" or other gods as we used to. Religion has become more of a faith system. Now as I said this is just a general theory based on almost no education so I am sorry for any wrong information I provided. I however do not believe it is as simple as this explanation...life never is that simple.

Wow, I just made a Jahan post...very long.

all religion preaches tolerance so be good!

*buzzer* Incorrect. Tolerance? No. Acceptance as a person? Mine does. But no where does it say to tolerate...Watch word choice.

My honest opinion is that religion is something created to help people explain what they can't understand.

Science itself could be a religion then. We barely know anything when you sit down and start to ponder what we dont know. Plus, Science is always changing. Very few things are laws, very few. Then, still few are rock solid facts. Alot of the ideals and such printed in text books are "accepted" theories. They havent been completely proven, but, because we may or cant fully prove it, but it should be right (because we cant fully understand) it is accepted by the majority.

So, in reality, science is in the same boat. Heck, alot of science is faith based anyways. Whos to say that math, the very numbers we created, are even accurate at all? Whos to say we havent totally missed another numbering system? But, its all we know.

The thing thats missed is that true religion is created by man for man. Therefore, its flawed, imperfect and going to be corupt at some level. Its evident throughout all religion.

This is why I dont think God/Jesus wanted Christianity to take the turn that it did, but also knew it would. Its as much community as it is self, but man perverts every thing it touches. Man is greedy (aka USA), dishonest and selfish.

Most non-Christians can pick out a fake in moments with very little knowledge of what a Christian is. Why? Because alot of our very basic morales and principals are rooted in that. When someone isnt genuine, its easy to spot. And then when they claim to know a God who is genuine and who is truthful, wow - doesnt that contradict itself? Of course. Sure, all people are imperfect but the difference between someone who seeks God all the time versus that Sunday Seeker is obvious.

Jesus is my savior, Religion is not. I hate the word religion. It just speaks of the coruption man has put on itself. And if you ever come to know someone or a group who are part of a truely communal following of Jesus, youll see the difference immediatly. You may try to deny it, but its there.

You're dealing with faith, and faith is very personal and can never be uniformly defined for large groups, so if what you're seeing or being told isn't making complete sense to you(such as how you don't see why baptism is necessary) than you should form your own ideas and believe in them. If you allow your faith to be defined by others you aren't being true to yourself and your faith is superficial, and therefor, pointless.

Well, the bolded is where I want to look. So, if someone isnt educated on a subject, or their world views (which shape alot of what we know, but is very vague) have skewed them from the truth, then how is that a valid statement?

When it comes to religion, alot of what we know is world view. We have probably gotten it second hand from someone who claims to be in it, but really isnt. Or weve read something off the internet. Or whatever. But untill you dive in 100%, instead of tip-toeing in, you cant make a statement like that.

There is alot that makes no sense to me about God...but I understand my mind, a human mind, may not have the capacity to understand. Or, I may not have done the studying or the devotion/fasting/etc to understand. Or I may simply have not gone through a life trial that teaches me something. There is ALOT that 1,2 4 years ago I was clueless on that I am crystal clear on now. Majority of that dealing with relationships with people.

The real faith is stepping into the unknown and running the race till the end. Youve not used faith if youve peered your head inside the door only to say "hmmm...I dont get it" and then pulled your head back in. If you walk through the door, maybe turn the light on thats across the room to understand - thats faith.

I dont know what tomorrow brings. I dont know what obstacle I have in my way. What I do know is the present. I like this quote from Jim Tressel, Ohio State Football Coach:

"Perspective is the key to anything. While we all have certain goals wed like to accomplish and directions we think God would like us to go, and we work hard to get there, life doesnt always head in exactly the direction we thought it would.

Stay in the moment. Become the best you can in the moment. And what lies out ahead, only God knows. Enjoy and stay in the moment youre in and if you do that, you will not be disappointed with what you do."

Ive found that people who live in the past, well, they tend to be pessimists. Dwelling on past failures or even successes. People who live in the future tend to miss all thats around them as well, always preparing for the future - but never actually doing whats needed in the present to get there.

Alot of what Jesus taught was living right NOW. Not in the past, not in the future. Faith is stepping out into the unknown of the present accepting that the future is unknown and the past is history. Faith isnt just believing in what makes sense to you, heck, thats not faith at all. Thats nothing.

Christianity also says to accept everyone. In my opinion, this also includes their beliefs (religious or not) and lifestyle choices. Just as some examples, I love my gay friends and atheist friends just as much as I love my Christian friends (I actually love some of them more because they're not as uptight. LOL

Laura "no better way to make someone uncomfortable then to talk about religion" Huls

Why cant more Christians understand this? The only flaw I see is you accept the person, not the sin. If their beliefs include sin, then you cant accept that. But you can accept the person because no matter what anyone says, they are two seperate entities.

It is scary though also to understand that Jesus never harmed anyone, never did anything wrong, yet, from the beginning of his existance he was trying to be killed. Love is far stronger than anything on Earth and for most people - Love will be far scarier than anything else. and when people become scared of something they dont know about, they will fear it and then hate will not be too far behind.

My honest opinion is that religion is something created to help people explain what they can't understand. Early religions had gods to "explain away" why there's rain, seasons, famine, etc. We find these ideas silly and antiquated now because our knowledge of the world around us has increased.

I also want to add that here in Europe during the Middle Ages, religion was a way of the Church to control the people. Making them believe in God was a way to oppress society. It's almost unbelievable how many power and wealth the church had. Just look at the cathedrals. There are almost no (medieval) buildings bigger then those.

I've recently got into religion and have decided to be Baptised.

First of all, congratulations! That's a huge step to take, and as your Christian brother, I'm proud of you.

Christianity is not something that is easy going. You will be tested.

Like reading through this thread if you didn't firmly believe in God.

According to the Bible and some other Christians I've been speaking to, the only way for somebody to go to heaven is if they accept Jesus as their saviour. I have been a bit worried about this as I have loads of Athiest friends and my Mum believes that simply being good will be enough to go to heaven. I'm really worried about my friends and family.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes, you should be worried about your loved ones. I know I am. BUT, approach the situation moderately. In other words, there's no need to whack 'em over the head with Bibles until they convert. A suggestion would be to lead by example. Become a strong member of your church community, and slowly start to speak to each person you care about individually, explaining to them why you feel the way you do. I've managed to get through to many of my friends and family members this way over the last few years.

I always find it kind of amusing to hear the "sorta believers" explain their lack of true faith. Mentioning things like "Yeah, I guess I believe in God, I just haven't found a religion that fits my agenda, yadda yadda yadda" is like saying, "Yeah, I guess I believe in El Toro's safety restraints, but let's try the first drop without 'em and see how it goes first." The only way to enter into heaven is to accept Jesus Christ as your savior. And when death comes, you better be strong in your beliefs, because there's no "do overs" once you're gone.

RNRC, have you had the opportunity to read The Purpose Driven Life yet? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it. I'd also recommend it to any non-believers interested in researching religion in general. It's easy to be skeptical due to it's immense popularity, but I've found it to be the absolute best religious source outside of the Bible. For the non-believers, and those who may be on the fence about Christianity, the best way to explain it is this. I like to think of it as a well written down to earth "Cliff's Notes" about the teachings of the Bible. There's no highbrow preachings in Rick Warren's message, and that's what I feel has attracted so many people to it.

Also RNRC, always continue to pray for, and repsect the views of those who might try to sway you from your own beliefs. Although I wholeheartedly disagree with many in this thread, I still respect their views, and pray for their salvation, just as Jesus would.

Science itself could be a religion then. We barely know anything when you sit down and start to ponder what we dont know. Plus, Science is always changing. Very few things are laws, very few. Then, still few are rock solid facts. Alot of the ideals and such printed in text books are "accepted" theories. They havent been completely proven, but, because we may or cant fully prove it, but it should be right (because we cant fully understand) it is accepted by the majority.

So, in reality, science is in the same boat. Heck, alot of science is faith based anyways.

Science is not at all faith based. That is what seperates it from a religion.

sci·ence –noun

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

The main reason why science is not a matter of faith is because it is observable and testable.

Secondly it was mentioned that science is always changing. I see this as a good thing. The ability to change the "facts" shows that scientists are willing to admit their mistakes when shown evidence contrary to their original findings. This means that science will always be able to improve itself based on new data. To think this is a bad thing seems odd to me.

You're dealing with faith, and faith is very personal and can never be uniformly defined for large groups, so if what you're seeing or being told isn't making complete sense to you(such as how you don't see why baptism is necessary) than you should form your own ideas and believe in them. If you allow your faith to be defined by others you aren't being true to yourself and your faith is superficial, and therefor, pointless.

Well, the bolded is where I want to look. So, if someone isnt educated on a subject, or their world views (which shape alot of what we know, but is very vague) have skewed them from the truth, then how is that a valid statement?

It's valid because I was speaking on faith and not world views. In particular, the way one goes about having faith. If you don't know about something, you can't possibly have made a decision about it, but you make your own judgments as you go along. Like right now the kid is Christian, he's going along with whatever the people in his congregation are telling him is right/wrong, but what if along the road he is introduced to something that makes way more sense to him? IE- fits his personal ideas more. Does that mean that his current beliefs should inhibit him from seeking out a more satisfactory belief system? No. You find out something, you judge, you adapt. You still have faith in what you believe, yet you are practicing that faith differently.

The real faith is stepping into the unknown and running the race till the end. Youve not used faith if youve peered your head inside the door only to say "hmmm...I dont get it" and then pulled your head back in. If you walk through the door, maybe turn the light on thats across the room to understand - thats faith.

See, I call that interest, not faith. If you just "peer in" you can;t possibly know if you have faith or not. You do have to "walk across the room" and get into it to really make a decision. However, faith itself does not require work. It's an emotion. It's either true, or false, there's no "in between." You don't make yourself love somebody, you just do. Just like you don't have to make yourself believe, you just do. Either your metaphor was poorly constructed, or we just COMPLETELY disagree, but the way you made it out comes across more as blindly committing to an idea rather than believing in it.

Christianity also says to accept everyone. In my opinion, this also includes their beliefs (religious or not) and lifestyle choices. Just as some examples, I love my gay friends and atheist friends just as much as I love my Christian friends (I actually love some of them more because they're not as uptight. LOL

Laura "no better way to make someone uncomfortable then to talk about religion" Huls

Why cant more Christians understand this? The only flaw I see is you accept the person, not the sin. If their beliefs include sin, then you cant accept that. But you can accept the person because no matter what anyone says, they are two seperate entities.

I have to say I'm with Laura on this. You can't really accept the person without also accepting their beliefs. Anything else is superficial and hence pointless. Why would you say you accept somebody if you were not also okay with their lifestyle. That's diluting to the strength of your own faith that you would willingly put on a facade of acceptance when in reality you are just tolerating.