TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

Random Question that I've been wondering:

You know the "Opening door" effect that gives way just before you crash into it on Test Track (the transition from indoor to outdoor)? How does that actually work every time? Is it triggered mechanically by the vehicle or what?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a sensor on the track that triggers the door to open. A cool little fact is that the door is actually made out of foam. Why? Because of the high speed the car is going as it accelerates towards the door, if the door does not open for whatever reason and the e-stop that is triggered doesn't stop the car in time, by making the door out of foam, it is considered "safe" for the car to hit the door. Apparently in the early days of the ride a e-stop wasn't activated so the car would literally ram right through the door.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw online earlier with the opening dates for Soarin and the Frozen attraction/section, I wonder if they will open that section with the rest of the Showcase at 11 or if they will open the Frozen ride with the rest of the park at 9?

^ Holy crap, that looks INCREDIBLE! What are you talking about, rush job? This is easily the most ambitious attraction at Epcot. Those animatronics move so seamlessly!

Edited by KBrylczyk

Guy, I heard that the adult version with stripper poles and and well. perky things in the chilly air, were only going to be on last rides of the night ala glo sticks and all. This must be true 'cause it di'nt come from the dippy dots guy, it came from the dole whip guy.

I saw online earlier with the opening dates for Soarin and the Frozen attraction/section, I wonder if they will open that section with the rest of the Showcase at 11 or if they will open the Frozen ride with the rest of the park at 9?

Disney Parks Blog announcement said it will open at 9 with Future World. Seeing that they have the princess breakfast in Norway it makes sense.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/05/frozen-ever-after-attraction-royal-sommerhus-set-to-open-at-epcot-june-21/

If you've been following TPR for any time at all, you probably know that we are huge pizza snobs (yes, I said it!) Elissa being from NYC and me just loving pizza means we've had some pretty kick-ass pizza all over the world in some places you'd expect it (NYC, Italy, etc) and even places you wouldn't (Japan! Yes, Japan!)

But here in Orlando, there really is only one pizza that tops them all... Via Napoli at Epcot! It should also be no surprise that even with all the amazing offerings around the park, it's our favorite place to dine when visit. What can we say? We are simple people and we like an AWESOME pizza!

Via Napoli only opened a few years ago as part of an expansion of the Italy Pavilion when the Patina Group took over the restaurants in that area. They are ALL fantastic! When we aren't at Via Napoli scarfing down pizza, you'll probably find us next door at the Tutto Gusto wine bar getting our fill of cheese, pasta, and other amazing offerings they have.

We were invited out to share in the celebration of Via Napoli's "Millionth Pizza" last week (to which we admit to eating about six thousand four hundred and thirty seven of them) and it was quite the amazing display of awesome food...

CjJwBpeWsAEPiai.jpg

Today we are at Epcot to eat at our favorite restaurant in the park...

Via Napoli is located right in the back of Italy...

_C5A5651.thumb.JPG.c0b4a921e2661f80d375848dd36a3b75.JPG

It looks like Italy...

CjJ0Gk5UoAI3yDk.jpg

It feels like Italy...

CjJ0GmJUkAAZaDm.jpg

And yes...it TASTES like Italy...

1675824923_ViaNapoli1.thumb.JPG.98465de59aa3bd018a5e3f3cf9f38876.JPG

CjJ29n8WkAE56Pl.jpg

There is is! The "Pizza Margherita" which is about as perfection as you can get!

FUN FACT! Did you know that the Margherita pizza was created for Queen Margherita and the three basic ingredients: Cheese, Tomatoes, and Basil represent the colors of the Italian Flag? Yeah! Bet you didn't think you'd actually LEARN something while reading TPR did you?

1023038103_ViaNapoli5.thumb.JPG.e81a184ed76106d9c3b0866d0e251fc6.JPG

We are now going to show you pictures of more pizza, because we hope you are hungry, will get in your car, drive to Walt Disney World (even if you're currently in Montana) and head to Via Napoli...

CjJ29n-XAAA5FHv.jpg

CjJ29n-WgAAgEeZ.jpg

CjJ29oTWUAABhKD.jpg

You're welcome.

Fun Fact #2! Do you know what the name of the tool the chef is using to pull the pizza out of the oven?

383632635_ViaNapoli2.thumb.JPG.03c35b9ab47476d2385da58f69d01766.JPG

For those of you who DIDN'T go look it up on Google (or for those who just didn't care enough) it's called a "Peel." Yes, it's true.

Pizza flavors come in all different styles at Via Napoili...

1595751976_ViaNapoli4.thumb.JPG.c36af963471d7f793ecfaa62d4ed2a68.JPG

From your traditional pies to even this one...

509595266_ViaNapoli3.JPG.thumb.JPG.0d6dc454db063bf9a441ded51b3a8cbd.JPG

Yes, that is prosciutto and melon! Don't knock it till you try it!

These bad boys are the ovens that have baked 1 MILLLLLLLION pizzas over the years. They aren't tired at all and are ready go to a million more!

_C5A5738.thumb.JPG.8f162bc3e27d18089c37e959cdf5c021.JPG

Wait! STOP! Did I mention that Via Napoli isn't *JUST* about pizza (but how dare you come here without getting a pie or three) they also have delicious pasta and other Italian apps & entrees. Veal meatballs, eggplant parmesan.... all sooooo good!

CjKBZLcXIAA92td.jpg

CjKBZLkWYAAzIPh.jpg

CjKBZMBW0AAqO4E.jpg

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

We are about to tell you something VERY important! If you leave Via Napoli without getting the Zeppole's for dessert...you're doing it wrong!

IMG_8251.thumb.JPG.30d22e18b7b71d5ccc16e9bc70512cf7.JPG

These bad boys are Ricotta cheese fritters which taste EXACTLY like sexy little dough balls served with whipped cream and chocolate. Simple? Yes! To die for? HELL YEAH!

Seriously, though, in short Via Napoli is just an amazing place to have lunch or dinner. Just look at this...

CjJ8mRCWkAAEtW-.jpg

That right there is just perfection! And I could eat it every day. Make sure to check out Via Napoli on your next visit to Epcot!

Oh, and I almost forgot....

CjKZpf6VAAAMP_I.jpg

CONGRATS ON ONE MILLION PIZZAS!!!!

Calico System.nltrack

Edited by robbalvey

Now that I've done that.....Much-a Yum!

The pizzas look great, the dessert is mmmmmmmmmm,

and there's always room for a nice Parmigiana.

Will definitely keep this place in mind, for any future visit.

Even during the Food & Wine Festival, ha!

Thanks for the great Italia-Tour, Robb!

Thank you for posting this!

We have reservations for our upcoming trip and have really been looking forward to this place. Is the large square pizza the "metro" sized pizza? I looked at a menu, but it did not mention how many slices were in it. Would a metro sized pizza be enough for 2 adults and 3 kids?

Would a metro sized pizza be enough for 2 adults and 3 kids?

It depends how hungry you are and if you're going to order anything else. Robb, KT, and I could finish that pizza if we didn't get anything else, but if you pair it with some appetizers or salad or pasta then yes.

I'm not big at sit-down restaurants at Epcot simply because there is so many good options to sample, but I'd make an exception for this.

Everything looks awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics Robb.