TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Members Ages 12 to 17...READ THIS NOW!!!!

I've had to ban or delete at least another 10 threads/posts/members today, all from ages 12 to 17. WTF!?! Do they not teach proper communication in schools anymore?

Ah, what a question... I've asked it many times myself, but I've found it's almost always more of a question of whether or not kids want to learn it, and none of them seem to. Tch, remember kids, you not only need to learn proper grammar and speech, but you should want to learn it.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50% or more of the best, most informative, thoughtful, polite, and well-written posts I read here are from the member's group of 12 through 17 years of age.

What's really gets me is the posters from my age group (you'll recognize us. We look kinda like this: ) that do that "lol" thing.

"lol" this, "lol" that. I've actually started pronouncing it "LOL!" around crusters my age that think they're oh-so-funny, but basically they're just old grabby boors.

lol

Seeing as I am in this age range, I understand why we are more apt to talk in such a way. Some of the 12-17 year olds have some sort of text messaging that they use whether it be AOL instant messanger or just on their cell phone (which if you are this age and you have a cell phone you are super lucky! I had to wait till my 16th birthday) Anyways, its just difficult for some to translate to proper grammar when on the internet. It's considered to be cool (I don't know why) to type in the fastest way possible which leads to spelling shortcuts. We will just have to enforce our rules stronger on those who don't obey them and hopefully they will change

Representing the younger age group of TPR. Come on guys, It's getting embarrassing to be known as the “younger” users on here. I’m not saying my posts are perfect, or that every younger user makes bad posts. What I’m saying is, why not make good posts? More people will read and/or reply if your posts are clean, and it’ll make for a better, happier TPR.

Another good thing to do is type out your posts in a word processor that will correct spelling/grammar then copy and paste it into the comment window.

Let’s give our age group a better reputation.

I felt like quoting myself from a while ago. I'm embarrassed again to be apart of the younger group of users!

^ It really isn't unreasonable to ask the members to use their "Shift" key at the start of sentences. Capitalization at the beginning of sentences breaks up the separate thoughts and makes a post far more readable. But I do appreciate that you follow the rule, despite not liking it.

And in honesty, something as simple as proper capitalization really strengthens whichever point or argument you're trying to make in a post. It's to your own benefit! I know there are a few members here that NEVER use capitalization and frankly, I cant take any of their posts seriously. All I picture is some moron banging his head on a keyboard!

-Jahan

What I hate is the capitalization thing. It seems sort of...unreasonable. I mean, it's an online forum, not an English class... Oh well. Pay me no mind.

Exactly--this isn't "an English class" because posters should know the basic rules of grammar and punctuation already.

It's the sloppy posts that make TPR seem like an English Class because posters have to be warned and corrected. Sloppy writing betrays sloppy thinking.

What I hate is the capitalization thing. It seems sort of...unreasonable. I mean, it's an online forum, not an English class... Oh well. Pay me no mind.

I should pay you no mind. However, for those that are still clueless, capitalization makes posts easier to read, especially for the non-US users.

Hey,

Robb, I don't think this is 'ageism'. The fact is that younger posters (I hope not myself) do make pointless posts far more than older members. But don't get me wrong even some adults need to start using the search function! Also as Robb said its isn't everyone, in fact most are ok. So if you don't do anything wrong he's not getting at you and well if you are you kind of deserve it.

I'll make sure I don't post pointless!

Andy

Hey im 16 and am experienced at posting on forums and tbh if i see bad grammer or a typo in my posts il edit it. Because i like my posts to be neat if you know what i meen.

Edit and Spellcheck must have been broken for this one.

• 1 month later...

It's time to bump this again. Between the Behemoth thread and several others recently I've noticed a high volume of completely "pointless" posts.

In an effort to keep up a higher quality of posts on TPR to make it better reading for everyone, myself and the mods are just going to start deleting these posts or threads, no questions asked, no explanation.

If you start finding that many of your posts are being deleted, perhaps it would be a good idea to think next time before you post.

So once again, here are some reasons why a post may be deleted:

- Pointless topics.

- Posting for posting sake. (A post that adds nothing to a discussion)

- Posts with bad grammar such as no words capitalized, using internet or text message shorthand, poor spelling, etc.

- Topic titles that are not descriptive or that have grammar errors (no capitalization, poor spelling, etc)

- Creating topics that already exist (not searching before posting)

- Other general "annoyances" (using WAY too many emoticons, HUGE images, "backseat moderating", etc)

--Robb "There are plenty of idiot infested coaster sites out there...TPR is NOT going to be one of them!!!" Alvey

I think that it´s really bad that people just start a thread just to start a thread.

I also agree that younger people makes the most part of the bad posts.

But some younger people makes very good TR and other posts.

I think that it´s important to really show why they should use more time for spell checking and also think about do i need to do this post?

As i live in a country where in English isn´t our home language i also think that we make many mistakes, but not because we want to, for many of us Internet is the only part where we use English.

And you don´t become banned for 1 mistake in your spelling.

I surely have made some spelling mistakes, but i´m not banned.

If you show that you really try to make the best that you possible can noone will look at you in a furious way.

A moderator is not only a person or persons that will ban you. They´re also your friend at the forum, a forum have some moderators for you.

If you are unsure if you shall make a post or not, or if you don´t now where to post it, ask the moderators. I have never found a moderator that wouldn´t help me if i have something to ask.

The pointless posts like "Hi Robb!" (example) takes time from the moderators that maybe would look at your thread if you show it in a good way.

I think that the young good posters should be given more credit, if they are i think the bad ones will find out how to post to get credit.

The first thing i look at in every thread is the age of the first poster. If he/she is 13 or 14 i may not continue to read it. That isn´t good because the 13 year old boy or girl may have made the best post ever, but people don´t read it.

So to the young people, you only make damage to your friends with pointless threads and bad spelling. And all TPR Forum members is your friends, right?