TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

To me it seemed like River Blast was a replacement for Splash Harbor, which closed right as River Blast was supposed to open. Unfortunately, while River Blast is a beautiful attraction, it doesn't really recapture the magic that was Splash Harbor. It just simply isn't as engaging or popular as Splash Harbor was, but SDC didn't really like having a "water park" attraction in the park, and there were some issues with people wearing swimwear throughout the park among other random issues.

Nothing really replaced the Waterboggan, it was just taken out suddenly at the end of the 2010 season. I've heard some scattered stories which I think I may have posted long ago on this thread that allude to some potential safety issues stemming from the 2003 remake of the original Wilderness Waterboggin into the wilder Waterworks Waterboggin. From what I remember, it had OK capacity, but the ride was very popular and the line was rather awkward due to the issue of having to weigh people.

Good points. So to bring this to synthesis: Perhaps the thought was a combination ride/splash area to replace both a ride and a splash area? Splash Harbor and Waterboggan were both removed about the same time, so the plans were probably being thought out together too.

^They already have two coasters with 150+ ft drops. They have plenty of land to run a hyper coaster out across, but like all SDC coasters, it would have to be done carefully and thoughtfully to avoid the bat habitats, train ride, and scenic areas of the park. They can go out beyond the maintenance area pretty easy whenever they need space for the next huge coaster.

What I would really like is if they took the Mystery Mine concept, but used a B&M dive machine instead, sort of like what Efteling is apparently doing. Mystery Mine really knocked us all off our feet when it was announced in 2006. It was such a crazy, huge, ambitious project for HFEC at the time, and really showed what this chain is capable of doing theming wise. It's been really unfortunate to hear that the PTB have apparently been viewing it as almost a failure from the ROI standpoint.

A hyper B&M dive machine would be great. Wildfire has been really easy on the maintenance guys, and I can see SDC going to them at some point when they feel the high price is justified. After the maintenance nightmare of Buzzsaw Falls, SDC was willing to shell out $15 million to have a reliable coaster, plus it was the only looping coaster at the time. So there was the ROI. What's the tallest dive machine? Griffon (205 ft)? I could see an ROI if they top that height. Being able to advertise it as the highest drop of its kind is always good for the marketing department.

That said, the idea of a roller coaster next year is speculation at best, more likely wishful thinking. They're going to milk Outlaw Run for as long as they can. But I could see another coaster before the end of the decade. And when it is done, like you said, it will be carefully planned and exquisitely themed. They always are.

I am thinking of taking my first ever trip to SDC on Wednesday, September 24th and 25th. I was wondering if anyone has ever been to SDC in the middle of the week during September and what the crowds would be like? I would expect the crowds to be very light as most schools will be in session but I thought I would see if anyone has been during this time and what their experience was like. I want to get in as many rides as possible while there so that is why these dates look appealing to me. Also does SDC have any two-day park tickets? I checked their website and couldn't find any. Maybe there is another place I could find two-day tickets? I know they have the free preview tickets for the day before but I was looking to spend two full days in the park. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am thinking of taking my first ever trip to SDC on Wednesday, September 24th and 25th. I was wondering if anyone has ever been to SDC in the middle of the week during September and what the crowds would be like? I would expect the crowds to be very light as most schools will be in session but I thought I would see if anyone has been during this time and what their experience was like. I want to get in as many rides as possible while there so that is why these dates look appealing to me. Also does SDC have any two-day park tickets? I checked their website and couldn't find any. Maybe there is another place I could find two-day tickets? I know they have the free preview tickets for the day before but I was looking to spend two full days in the park. Thanks in advance for any help.

Those sound like good days to go. The weather will be nice, so there will be some people there, but this time of year generally brings out the older crowd and locals who focus somewhat more on the shows and festival offerings. Shouldn't have any trouble with crowds anywhere, especially the rides. OR is still going to be the most crowded ride though, which could mean waits of up to 30mins, but that's the worst I would expect to encounter and everything else will be pretty short.

You can get discounted 2-day tickets and pretty much any hotel or ticket place in Branson. You don't even have to stay in a given hotel for them to sell you the passes (they get a cut either way). Deer Run Hotel sells these and is located just beyond the park entrance road.

How is Outlaw Run? Better or worse than Goliath?

I thought Outlaw Run is not as good as Goliath. OR is not as smooth . The layout is crazy but it feels a bit rough while riding, the train scuttles through the course (even Thunderhead is much better than OR). My friend who was riding with me didn't like OR at all. It was just ok.

I like NTAG, Rattler and Goliath much better.

I would think you could get most everything done in one day on a mid week day in late September.

I thought Outlaw Run is not as good as Goliath. OR is not as smooth . The layout is crazy but it feels a bit rough while riding, the train scuttles through the course (even Thunderhead is much better than OR). My friend who was riding with me didn't like OR at all. It was just ok.

I like NTAG, Rattler and Goliath much better.

Well steel coasters are usually smoother so I get that

Both are absolutely incredible. Outlaw Run has the slight edge for me, but they are my #1 and #2 respectively, and each is the best in its park.

Outlaw Run uses the terrain so that on your first ride, you have no idea what's coming next. It drops off the side of the mountain toward the lake, and bounds back up the hill. Between the topography and the foliage, almost all the turns are blind. In addition, sideways airtime is an incredible thing, and is OR's best element.

Goliath's first drop is better. Being a little higher helps, but the tunnel makes it great. Also, the zero-g stall is excellent. Goliath is a bit smoother, probably due to the poly wheels, but the difference in smoothness is really minor. At least to me, the roughness of a coaster doesn't matter at all unless it gets to the point of pain--and none of the coasters at either SDC or SF Great America get to that point.

So, since you live in St. Louis, go enjoy them both!

Both are absolutely incredible. Outlaw Run has the slight edge for me, but they are my #1 and #2 respectively, and each is the best in its park.

Outlaw Run uses the terrain so that on your first ride, you have no idea what's coming next. It drops off the side of the mountain toward the lake, and bounds back up the hill. Between the topography and the foliage, almost all the turns are blind. In addition, sideways airtime is an incredible thing, and is OR's best element.

Goliath's first drop is better. Being a little higher helps, but the tunnel makes it great. Also, the zero-g stall is excellent. Goliath is a bit smoother, probably due to the poly wheels, but the difference in smoothness is really minor. At least to me, the roughness of a coaster doesn't matter at all unless it gets to the point of pain--and none of the coasters at either SDC or SF Great America get to that point.

So, since you live in St. Louis, go enjoy them both!

Yeah, I'm going to SDC in a few months, but I don't think I'll be going to SFGAm anytime soon.

Outlaw for sure. It seems to last longer. There is more "action" and is never slow while Goliath has some slow parts(inversions) outlaw run has negative g forces on every element. Has more airtime on the first drop. The track isn't ugly orange. The theming is great. And outlaw run is one of the most game changing coasters ever! Outlaw run might be my number one again if I get to ride it soon. Also the biggest plus about outlaw run is that it's not at a six flags.

How is Outlaw Run? ... Outlaw Run is simply one of (if not) the best RMC creation to date. From the moment you leave the lift hill it is nothing but amazing. The g-forces are amazing, the speed is relentless, and the double barrel roll at the end is the best finale I have ever experienced on a coaster. Goliath just seems to wonder through the track, and linger in places. It does not feel nearly as fast paced as Outlaw Run. Not to mention Goliath seems to hit the brake run to soon. It feels like the coaster should be longer than it is, not the case with Outlaw Run.

These descriptions of Outlaw Run are really making me that much more excited when I visit the park next week! I have never had the opportunity to ride an RMC coaster so this is going to be an awesome experience. I just hope I can get plenty of good rides in.

These descriptions of Outlaw Run are really making me that much more excited when I visit the park next week! I have never had the opportunity to ride an RMC coaster so this is going to be an awesome experience. I just hope I can get plenty of good rides in.

As we have learned just make sure you are in an odd numbered row. IE: 1,3,5 and you'll be golden! Be sure to let us know how you like it!

So we went last weekend and discovered a new fluffy bunny system. For $3 you get a code that you can use for all the fluffy bunnies in the whole park. We didn't end up using the system, but I like the idea. No rules were changed about stowing stuff in cubbies at all; they simply replaced the $1 per use bunnies with $3 for all day. Seems an improvement for those who would need or want one.