TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

It would be interesting if they got one of these from Mack:

What makes you think it will be a Mack? If it is a Mack, I think it would be a Big Dipper Dive coaster...

The more recent rumors have been really stating it will be a Mack. I personally agree that it could be along the lines of a Big Dipper model, but maybe with spinning vehicles. Regardless of what type it is, this already seems to be a huge project for SDC.

It would be interesting if they got one of these from Mack:

What makes you think it will be a Mack? If it is a Mack, I think it would be a Big Dipper Dive coaster...

The more recent rumors have been really stating it will be a Mack. I personally agree that it could be along the lines of a BigDipper model, but maybe with spinning vehicles. Regardless of what type it is, this already seems to be a huge project for SDC.

We don't actually know that it will be a Mack. We strongly suspect it based on the following evidence and logical deductions:

1. EVIDENCE: We saw a survey that asked opinions on theming for a spinning coaster.

DEDUCTION: Silver Dollar City is planning to build a spinning coaster. Last time they sent out a similar survey, one of the theming options was Fireman's Landing, and all the rides depicted in that early survey were in fact built in Fireman's Landing.

2. EVIDENCE: The land area cleared is huge.

DEDUCTION: The only company currently making spinners large enough to warrent the land area being cleared is Mack.

3. ASSUMPTION: Silver Dollar City's current project is related to the survey sent out. This is probably a safe assumption given their recent history, but nonetheless it is assumed.

4. ASSUMPTION: No other companies have tested large scale spinners or would be willing to build one. This is pure speculation; we have no evidence here, and HFE are generally willing to go with new companies if someone like Gerstlauer or SBF Visa wanted to jump in on a big project.

We don't actually know that it will be a Mack. We strongly suspect it based on the following evidence and logical deductions:

1. EVIDENCE: We saw a survey that asked opinions on theming for a spinning coaster.

DEDUCTION: Silver Dollar City is planning to build a spinning coaster. Last time they sent out a similar survey, one of the theming options was Fireman's Landing, and all the rides depicted in that early survey were in fact built in Fireman's Landing.

2. EVIDENCE: The land area cleared is huge.

DEDUCTION: The only company currently making spinners large enough to warrent the land area being cleared is Mack.

3. ASSUMPTION: Silver Dollar City's current project is related to the survey sent out. This is probably a safe assumption given their recent history, but nonetheless it is assumed.

4. ASSUMPTION: No other companies have tested large scale spinners or would be willing to build one. This is pure speculation; we have no evidence here, and HFE are generally willing to go with new companies if someone like Gerstlauer or SBF Visa wanted to jump in on a big project.

^This along with a rumor tossed around that the coaster project is in the $30-$40 million range, the parks biggest investment to date. Their largest steel coaster Wildfire (B&M) was only $14 million. Outlaw Run (RMC) was $10-$12 million. Yes everything is pretty much based on employee rumors, current on site evidence/surveys and of course current interests sought by HFE.

The Big Dipper would be another viable option since they hinted on a very large Dive Coaster in a survey earlier this year. Of course some of those could be referencing further down the line around 2020.

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/big-dipper/info/index.html

Uh, hello? How about a Mack Bobsled coaster? Huh? Huhhh?

...I'll see myself out.

I think it would be quite cool to see more of those being built, but as far as SDC goes, I'm unsure how it would fit in the park. Though, it would be absolutely awesome to have a terrain bobsled!

The tower is still there, not being used for anything. The land the slides were on is now occupied by Fireman's Landing.

Bobsled coasters look cool. I haven't been on one, but I like the concept. Closest one to SDC would be La Vibora at SFOT, so it would be unique to the region.

This is the exact point where "It would be nice to get a bobsled coaster" gets all scrambled up and birthed 10 pages later into "I heard SDC is getting a bobsled coaster."

I can even envision SDC's new construction chatter five years from now where people speculate over SDC's long rumored bobsled coaster installation.

I can even envision SDC's new construction chatter five years from now where people speculate over SDC's long rumored bobsled coaster installation.

Save teh Mack Bobsled coasters!

Does SDC have its own equivalent of the Skyzip course at Dollywood? I could see the Waterboggan tower being used for something like that somewhere down the road.

We've been wondering about that for years now. I feel like if they were interested in that, it would have been done by now. The tower has sat unused since what, 2009 at least? Adventure Mountain has come and gone and although they hinted at ziplines in a brief survey from long ago, it doesn't seem like it will come to fruition. With Fireman's Landing in the way now I don't think there's the space anymore anyway. It'll probably sit dormant like the tree house has until they need the space again.

Funny this got brought up. I had pondered the idea when speculation first started about their next coaster in 2017. (now apparently 2018) These images were from google after Fireman's Landing was put in so they could technically fit a compact bobsled coaster in there. That or a small footprint family spinner or dive coaster. There is nothing to say it couldn't interact with the Flooded Mine area or cross over the pathways a bit. (the former has been long rumored to be removed in the next decade)

SDCfuture(v1).thumb.png.1854f86a6a2e4309f76641a3160d7591.png

FT_Aerial.jpg.c2e254c51e200d7423c970ae8f57a2cf.jpg

La-Vibora-Six-Flags-Over-Texas-Bobsled-Roller-Coaster.jpg.b863fe326c11ab5555551b532895779d.jpg

I've been on a few around the world, and I can tell you, nothing beats getting freeked out, seeing the

'tube' ahead of you, with tire marks that look waaaay higher than you expected to go! And you

generally can't see anything beyond where you are on the bobsled.

Fun rides.

This is the exact point where "It would be nice to get a bobsled coaster" gets all scrambled up and birthed 10 pages later into "I heard SDC is getting a bobsled coaster."

SDC just announced their 2017 season. No new coaster announcement so it is indeed for 2018. A revamp of their main festivals will be the core focus for 2017. There is also an expansion on their lighting displays for the Christmas Festival along with staying open for New Years. The theme for the season will be a special celebration of food and crafts along with a new "Festival of Wonder."

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2017?cid=smc_000187

2017-feature-wonder.jpg

2017-feature-foodcraft.jpg

I'm actually really excited about this! The website mentions an improvement in food quality and over 200 new food items, some seasonal. SDC's food quality is some of the best anywhere, but they have let it slip in recent years. World Fest offered a "dining around the world" pavilion that was always a must for me during that festival, but I stopped participating a couple of years ago when a particularly bad poutine was the last straw. Their skillets are still awesome, and the new Crossroads Pizza is great too, as is their barbecue. But there are some food items I just avoid, hamburgers in particular. They're just not very good, especially for the price (which is admitted much lower than most theme parks, at $9).

I'm glad to see them paying attention to the food and shows, which along with the cave have always been this park's bread and butter. The rides are a bonus; this is a park that you can go to and ride nothing and have an awesome time. Looking forward to trying the new items and watching the construction for the 2018 coaster!

I'm actually really excited about this! The website mentions an improvement in food quality and over 200 new food items, some seasonal. SDC's food quality is some of the best anywhere, but they have let it slip in recent years. World Fest offered a "dining around the world" pavilion that was always a must for me during that festival, but I stopped participating a couple of years ago when a particularly bad poutine was the last straw. Their skillets are still awesome, and the new Crossroads Pizza is great too, as is their barbecue. But there are some food items I just avoid, hamburgers in particular. They're just not very good, especially for the price (which is admitted much lower than most theme parks, at $9).

I'm glad to see them paying attention to the food and shows, which along with the cave have always been this park's bread and butter. The rides are a bonus; this is a park that you can go to and ride nothing and have an awesome time. Looking forward to trying the new items and watching the construction for the 2018 coaster!

Mexican is coming. Rumor is at Mary's Spring House

I glanced quickly and saw "Craft" and my mind instantly went to beer... Then I remembered that we're talking about Silver Dollar City.

Yea, but this is made right up the road.

Yes, Mother's makes a lot of good varieties, but I do like the Loopty Loop a lot. 3 Blind Mice is another good one from them.

Springfield has three breweries. Springfield Brewing Company is the oldest of the three and for the longest time was only a brewpub. They've recently started distributing bottles through the local chain Brown Derby (owned by the same family that owns Bass Pro Shops). They do not distribute it to be on tap anywhere but their own place.

Mother's was the first brewery to target regional distribution, and you can find it on tap in a number of bars in Springfield. Branson has virtually no bar scene, and what there is essentially is chain restaurants like Applebee's and Red Lobster.

The newest one is White River Brewing Co., named for the river that flows through Branson and forms Table Rock Lake and Lake Taneycomo. Their C Street Pale Ale is one of my favourites, as is Table Rock Red Ale.

If you like good eats with craft beer (i.e. you are human), then I recommend Black Sheep. There are two locations, one downtown on Walnut St. in Springfield's theatre district, and the other on the south side in Chesterfield Village, a walkable mixed-use development with a cool vibe of its own.

Moral of this story: Silver Dollar City closes early. Head to Springfield after hours.